Rhythm of War

Does he spend 3 or 4 years writing each book/ or spend 3 or 4 playing golf then 6 months writing a book I wonder.

Does he spend 3 or 4 years writing each book/ or spend 3 or 4 playing golf then 6 months writing a book I wonder.

No, he writes about 2 books a year and some short stories. However, he doesn't just write one series at a time. He says this helps him in not burning out. The man is like a machine in terms of output.

It might help him not burn out but he doesn't have to have quite so many projects on the go lol. I've been waiting for the final Mistborn one for ages.

Comeon, it's one more book for it to be completed. Polish it off already :)

It might help him not burn out but he doesn't have to have quite so many projects on the go lol. I've been waiting for the final Mistborn one for ages.

I believe it is the next one on his list. He had planned to do it before Rhythm of War but work on other projects got in the way.

He's got at least one more Mistborn cycle planned, modern era, and maybe a future era cycle as well. As much as I'd love to see the Sormlight Archives done in my lifetime, I can't think what series of his I'd be willing to give up in order to get them faster. Although I could have done without his Wheel of Time books. Jordan had already soured that storyline by mugging Stephen King for the purplest prose lifetime achievement award.

You guys do realize how many words RoW is, right? :giggle:

A little publication history for this guy, as pulled from Wikipedia (mainly), isfdb.org, Amazon's readinglength.com, and a couple of helpful reddit posts....

Bands of Mourning (approx. 127,000) - January 26, 2016
Mistborn: Secret History (approx. 50,000) - January 26, 2016
First White Sand graphic novel (approx. 160 pages) - June 28, 2016
Alcatraz: The Dark Talent (approx. 50,000) September 2016
Oathbringer (451,912 words) - November 14, 2017
Second White Sand graphic novel (approx. 160 pages) - February 20, 2018
Skyward (134,560 words) - November 6, 2018
Children of the Nameless (approx. 50,000) - December 12, 2018
Third White Sand graphic novel (approx. 160 pages) - September 18, 2019
Starsight - (126,150 words) November 26, 2019

Future:
Rythmn of War (482,850) - (November, 2020)

To lay it all out, then, that means that from January 2016 to November 2020--a period of less than five years--this author will have published approximately 1,470,000 words. Or the equivalent of a 300,000 word novel a year, or two 150,000 word novels a year. And I'm not even counting the White Sands graphic novels, although I'm sure they do count as far as taking his time away from writing other things.

I don't think any writer alive gets to say Brandon Sanderson doesn't write fast enough. Except insofar as any good author writes too slowly for not having their books out now for us to enjoy! :LOL: If anyone writes like he's running out of time, it's him.

And actually, if you read his annual update blog-post on his website, he is literally worried about running out of lifetime before he can write all the books he has planned. Anybody else know that feeling?

Last edited:
But that's part of the point as well. Since he writes so prolifically, he could easily bosh out a complete series in just a couple of years. Instead, he's hit us with the frankly ridiculous Cosmere multiverse and so many planned novels that it'll take 10-20 years for them to even warm up.

If he is literally worried about running out of time (and we know accidents and illness can happen), surely it'd be in his interests and that of his fans to have completed series instead of half a dozen unfinished ones... unless of course he's already picked someone to do for him what he did for Jordan :)

Can't wait. I don't have a problem with the time between books. Martin and Rothfuss on the other hand need to sharpen their pencils and get working on their books.
Those guys are slackers in the slacking department. Fans of Melanie Rawn's Exiles series have been waiting since 1997 for the conclusion to that trilogy. Allegedly, she's claimed she'll finish the series after the fifth Glass Thorns book (a series she started in 2012, fifteen years after the second Exliles book), but that was finished in 2017 and there's still no news.

And that's why I will only read complete series or series that are 80% complete, coz I read slow then the series might be finished by the time I get to the last book.