Searching for book/story, read in 70s, about a man in a dizzying alien world that made him so nauseous he couldn't open his eyes

kvmoomoo

Story was about a man who found himself (I can't remember how) in an alien world that didn't follow our earthly laws of physics/gravity... the streets/buildings were laid out in a foreign way (like an MC Escher painting) -- streets and buildings going every which way... just opening his eyes to look at the place would make him dizzy and nauseous... he had to keep his eyes closed (or maybe he slowly got used to this new world so he could keep his eyes open?)... he was trying to accomplish something, maybe finding someone or just getting back home... The description of this nausea-inducing world layout was so evocative it has stayed with me for decades.

Hi,

Just a thought but the Princes in Amber or one of the sequels by Zelazny? I don't recall this exact situation, but there are plenty of bits in the books like it.

Cheers, Greg.

This elicited wispy tendrils of faint memory for "The Subways of Tazoo" by Colin Kapp.

People - as in, you know, people from Earth (every tribe's name for itself means "the people", didn't you know?) finds not just an alien subway, but an alien alien subway.

We're not talking Star Trek races of people with different noses or dots on their faces. Riding, and even seeing, this subway is unsuitable for human physiology.

As much as I would like to offer more detail, a few decades after reading it bring only that 'one look told him more about Tazoön physiology than he ever wanted to know'.

It is is several anthologies; time to find it again.

"unsuitable for human physiology" -- this! That's not the book, but this description fits the alien world in my story perfectly.

This elicited wispy tendrils of faint memory for "The Subways of Tazoo" by Colin Kapp.

People - as in, you know, people from Earth (every tribe's name for itself means "the people", didn't you know?) finds not just an alien subway, but an alien alien subway.

We're not talking Star Trek races of people with different noses or dots on their faces. Riding, and even seeing, this subway is unsuitable for human physiology.

As much as I would like to offer more detail, a few decades after reading it bring only that 'one look told him more about Tazoön physiology than he ever wanted to know'.

Not the one, but thanks for your reply :giggle:

Hi,

Just a thought but the Princes in Amber or one of the sequels by Zelazny? I don't recall this exact situation, but there are plenty of bits in the books like it.

Cheers, Greg.

Available as a Kindle edition... "The Unorthodox Engineers" by Colin Kapp.

Back