Book Teasers

Plucky Novice

Eat sleep write repeat
Supporter
What do people think of the value of book teasers?

I'm a first time author/self-publisher and was planning on using a few teasers just bring some awareness to the book and direct people to my website. I suppose you could think of it as advertising-lite.

I had the thought that rather than using quotes from the books on the teasers, I could appeal to why they read books - adventure, escape to a different world. Has anyone seen this done before? Was it successful?

PN

I'm not entirely sure of what you are referring to and where. Could you post a link to an example?

In any case, using Amazon or Goodreads as an example, I know of the 'blurb,' and there is also the 'look inside/preview,' and finally reviews. Blurbs I tend to find too creative (or pointless) for their own good. Yes, there are good ones, but the vast majority either try to over explain to hook as many interests as possible, or they're so poorly written my interest is tainted. Reviews can be hit or miss IMO. I have no interest in reading someone's synopsis of the story. Tell me what you liked about the book and what you didn't. Was it written well, is it engaging, did they have trouble or not putting it down, and so on.

'For me,' the most important thing is the preview. It gives me a good idea of the writer's style, are they drawing me in, and do they write in a way that 'I' enjoy. Some works with rave reviews I can't stand in the first few pages (often due to style/voice). Others with lackluster reviews catch my eye and hold it. So for me, the preview is the most important part.

What part are you referring to or have I missed it somehow on other works?

K2

I'm not entirely sure of what you are referring to and where. Could you post a link to an example?

In any case, using Amazon or Goodreads as an example, I know of the 'blurb,' and there is also the 'look inside/preview,' and finally reviews. Blurbs I tend to find too creative (or pointless) for their own good. Yes, there are good ones, but the vast majority either try to over explain to hook as many interests as possible, or they're so poorly written my interest is tainted. Reviews can be hit or miss IMO. I have no interest in reading someone's synopsis of the story. Tell me what you liked about the book and what you didn't. Was it written well, is it engaging, did they have trouble or not putting it down, and so on.

'For me,' the most important thing is the preview. It gives me a good idea of the writer's style, are they drawing me in, and do they write in a way that 'I' enjoy. Some works with rave reviews I can't stand in the first few pages (often due to style/voice). Others with lackluster reviews catch my eye and hold it. So for me, the preview is the most important part.

What part are you referring to or have I missed it somehow on other works?

K2
A teaser is normally an image of the book with a hook line all set up as a single graphic. They are often used to create awareness for book releases and contain website details or other contact info.

You often see them as posters at train stations in the UK.

How many have you seen that have caught your interest and led to you buying the book? :)
I'm not sure I count as I'm entirely unsusceptible to advertising. However, they are used frequently by traditional publishers so must have some value.

Time and money:
If you have time and money for this go for it; however remember that there are no guarantees.

If you figure out how to do it without spending time or money; go for it you can't lose even if it doesn't work.

Once time and money come into it: this cuts into your time to work on new stories and your ability to eat.

I think teasers are more likely to be successful after you've established a following. Right now, I'd more put the time into getting your book written and ready to release and growing your social media audience. Until you have a fair number of people following you, a teaser isn't likely to have much affect if there aren't many people that will see it. If there are super quick and easy ones you can throw together to put out on social media near(ish) the time your book will be coming out, well and good; if not, I, personally, think that's time that might be better spent writing.

Back