Isaac Asimov or Frank Herbert, Who is Greater?

That is the problem with the Bene Gesserit; their consuming need to control everything and everyone. You'd think they would have realised that their 'control' was just an illusion when Jessica disobeyed them. If they can't keep one sister from independent action how could they ever hope to control the Kwitzach Haderach? They were fooling themselves the entire time. The illusion of control is a recurring theme throughout the Dune Chronicles.

The Baron was under the impression that he was more powerful than he really was. The fact was that without the secret aid of the Emperor's Sardaukar his forces never stood a chance against the Atreides.

The Baron was just another pawn/cog in the great political machine of the empire.

Ironic , the people of that empire overthrew machine rule only to end up slaves to a political and economic machine of their own making.

I never thought I would read Dune again, but after this discussion I might just tee it up. Maybe 100's of S.F. books read since and being part of this erudite forum for more than 10 years might let me see it in a different light. (I did think it was very good on my first read, but I had trouble following the convoluted politics in the later books.

I never thought I would read Dune again, but after this discussion I might just tee it up. Maybe 100's of S.F. books read since and being part of this erudite forum for more than 10 years might let me see it in a different light. (I did think it was very good on my first read, but I had trouble following the convoluted politics in the later books.

Since its 1965 publication, It's remained on the list best science fiction novels of all time and, deservedly so. :cool:

"There's also a new edition of Asimov's The End of Eternity".

What changed from the original?

Foundation on tv and Dune in the theaters . Looks like we are going to have a competition.:D

I would vote for Asimov and I have read both but I think they will be favorites to different audiences.

This is a bit like saying chalk or cheese, which is the better, it depends if you want to write on a black board or make a sandwich!

Whilst I like both, I'd say Herbert's ideas were more 'organic'. When it comes to Foundation and Dune, both writers created fabulous universes for their stories to exist in. I feel Herbert's tales were stronger on character and he had a much greater emphasis on ecology rather than technology. Take The Green Brain, or Helstrom's Hive as examples. It's not so much about technology but of the impact we humans have on the environment. I always felt Asimov was the opposite in that, he was more about the impact technology has on us.
I agree about the characters in Herbert being strong.

The Trailer for Dune is looking quite good. :cool:

yeah... frankly i liked the movie and the tv version. however the tb was better. lets hope for a good movie

It looks like they got it right and , they're doing this one in two parts so , I would say it has a chance to be a pretty good film adaptation. :cool:

It looks like they got it right and , they're doing this one in two parts so , I would say it has a chance to be a pretty good film adaptation. :cool:
the tv was a 3 part. and there were more 2 nbooks after

I like the latest trailer better than the first one. It shows a lot and then abruptly stops. I guess that's how far the first movie goes.

How long is the new movie?

I am inclined to doubt that a decent movie of Dune could be done in less than 4 hours.

How long is the new movie?

I am inclined to doubt that a decent movie of Dune could be done in less than 4 hours.
This is where they must be careful. It needs to be long enough to capture the entire story and atmosphere of the book, but it can't be so long that the average punter is going to get bored and tell their friends not to bother. A 9 hour epic would be fine for me, but I think 5 hours split over two films will probably be the end result. That is if there is a second part.

This is where they must be careful. It needs to be long enough to capture the entire story and atmosphere of the book, but it can't be so long that the average punter is going to get bored and tell their friends not to bother. A 9 hour epic would be fine for me, but I think 5 hours split over two films will probably be the end result. That is if there is a second part.
syfy channel made it in 3 episodes, call it
4h30mn