(Found) Book about future US where a scientists brain is saved and used as a way to plan the future against the protagonist

guardianali

Hello all,
I would appreciate any help. I want to re-read this book as i read it back in the late 90s i want to say...in high school. I dont recall when it was originally published though.

The protagonist ends up helping the government in planning and comes up with a new government agency.
This is against this scientists brain, who was preserved and can still talk and has consciousness through technology, has plans for the future and this new agency is against the direction he has been steering and consulting to the government where he wants it to go.

In the end, the main character signs a made up confession by the government and is locked away or killed.

I believe it was from a fairly known author and i want to say it had a bluish cover...?

Anne McCaffrey wrote a series of books about defective humans who were wired into pods, which were then connected to run spaceships, factories, space stations, etc. "The Ship Who Sang" is one of her ?first? of the series.

Ships with brain people were paired with human partners-- know as the 'brawns.'

I don't recall if the government agency existed in any of these books-- or if any of the brains were wired into government planning.

The 'evil' aspect of your synopsis reminds me of "The Tomorrow File" by Lawrence Sanders. The Tomorrow File is ideas that don't have a solution or the technology to implement them. Protagonist accumulates these ideas, and works to bring them to reality. I don't remember the preserved scientist, but do remember the ending where the main character signs an Informed Consent form to become one of the 'volunteers' for one of the projects from the Tomorrow File.

Possibly "Fhat Hideous Strength" from CS Lewis? (Last volume in the "Out of the silent planet" trilogy? Though it was the entire head that was preserved, not merely the brain, as I remember it.

Anne McCaffrey wrote a series of books about defective humans who were wired into pods, which were then connected to run spaceships, factories, space stations, etc. "The Ship Who Sang" is one of her ?first? of the series.

Ships with brain people were paired with human partners-- know as the 'brawns.'

I don't recall if the government agency existed in any of these books-- or if any of the brains were wired into government planning.

The 'evil' aspect of your synopsis reminds me of "The Tomorrow File" by Lawrence Sanders. The Tomorrow File is ideas that don't have a solution or the technology to implement them. Protagonist accumulates these ideas, and works to bring them to reality. I don't remember the preserved scientist, but do remember the ending where the main character signs an Informed Consent form to become one of the 'volunteers' for one of the projects from the Tomorrow File.

Thank you!!!!!
The Tomorrow File was it! I appreciate it.
Thank you to the others for chiming in to assist.

Back