The Inexorable Rise - Act 2, Chapter 1 (Part 2)

BT Jones

Supporter
Hi @Jo Zebedee, @Joshua Jones, @DLCroix, @tinkerdan, @Narcissus and anyone else who is interested, here is part 2 of chapter 1 of act 2 of story 1 (phew).
Here, our female protagonist gets a better gauge of her surroundings. The crux for me isn't so much here but how this transitions to a perspective change for the next segment. I will post that next week. Thanks in advance.

She moves closer to the mirror for a better look. The pan up and down is nod-worthy, but the face…; still a blank. She pokes her tongue out just to make sure she can. Even then, there’s not a flicker of emotion on it.

She zeroes in on the face, and it’s an odd one – recognizable in some ways, alien in others. There are several ticks in the human checkbox – two eyes, a nose, a mouth, and a skull-shaped head beneath all that flesh. But the details are wrong; the skin is thick and mint-cream in colour; there’s plastic hatching where there should be eyebrows; something like congealed wax on the eyelashes; a strange, webbed veneer across the nostrils and lips; and cartoon stitch lines crisscrossing the cheeks.

It’s like some kooky AI accidentally lost my real face and had to make a new one out of putty, Tejo.

And still no smile, not even a twitch of a muscle – but that’s not surprising anymore. Suddenly, it’s as clear as day. This is just who she is – cool and unmoved, inside and out.

And the calm is self-perpetuating. It might be the only thing she truly knows about herself, but it’s the one thing that really counts. As such, with the ‘who’ sorted, her thoughts totally bypass the ‘why’. It’s not important right now and she’s knows deep down she’s not the type to sweat over something that’ll come to her in time.

So, on to ‘where’? Why is it so dark in here? Just a couple of spotlights over the mirror, enough to make out a reflection… and more reflections behind that.

She spins to see six glass-topped caskets propped on pedestals at waist level in a dry-ice mist. Straight away, there’s a ‘what’ and more ‘who’s to add to the ‘where’. But at least the ‘how’ has been answered.

Stasis pods.

Then she hears something new: a muffled commotion. It’s bouncing around the room – and it is a room she’s in. She can see the corners now. But whatever’s making the sound isn’t in with her – it’s outside.

But where is outside?

She quickly spots a cool green glow off to her right, next to a tall strip of yellow: a light, shining through a crack-opened door. And as the sounds begin to register as voices – several of them – she squares up to the inch-wide slit for an eyeful of whom they belong to. Instantly, she can see an animated debate between four men in the next room, with the legs of the fifth just out of shot.

…and suddenly, my get up is a statement of artistic restraint, Tejo. It’s a crazy clown solider convention.

Look at this first guy. NA23 – everyone must get a four-character I.D. – and, no denying, he out clowns and out-hoops me, hands down, Tejo, with yellow, red and black banded armour that’s almost as loud as his voice. Doesn’t suit his afterthought of a mouth, though, nor his lean and wiry frame – not that he’s shirking in the face of his oversized opponent, clown two…

…and yuck – who the hell dropped the giant barrel of ugly on his head – GZ42? Listening to that ugly voice, he might actually have swallowed it. With those floor-scraping knuckles, maybe he just skipped an evolutionary cycle or ten – no, that’s an affront to primates everywhere, just like his jade, red & yellow soldier suit is an affront to fashion. And I don’t know if his skin is genuinely orange or if that’s just the side-effects of all the ranting and raving.

Pity the man stood between the two, then, facing away from me. A slight guy in a red suit and helmet with a big number three painted on his back paneling, I think he thinks he’s playing peacemaker. Really, he’s more like the toothbrush in the knife drawer.

Opposite him, clown four, RW06 – and I can see him face on. Young guy, from my neck of the woods maybe… He looks like he’s sulking, maybe over the split lip someone gave him – green barrel man, I’d guess. Outfit-wise, he’s not actually half bad to look at, even if the red flashes on his blue speed racer outfit are a bit squint-worthy by way of contrast.

Well, whatever the argument is about – pretending for a second that pissing contests like this aren’t always about control – it’s shifting off to the right for some reason, out of sight. What do you reckon, Tejo? Shall I go in there and introduce myself?

Again, there’s no response, but there’s a new dimension to his absence now. Like an ink sketch dropped in a pond, the impression she had of Tejo’s face has dissolved. It’s like reality is erasing him from existence. Only the name remains in her memory, along with a sense of burden – of responsibility.

For a split second, she’s unnerved. Then ice blood floods her veins.

Her hand hangs over the green glow that she’s sure is a sensor switch. Sure enough, the door panel slides stutteringly open to reveal a room far gloomier than the strip of light suggested.

And her appearance goes entirely unnoticed, such is the volume of the quarrel. Only one man – the fifth, and sole abstainer – sees her as he evades the conversational tornado and scurries over to the left-hand side of the room. Even then, it’s news he doesn’t appear to be willing to share.

Judging by the fading grimace and the slight smile, AR29 might even be happy to see me. If his docile expression and soggy body language is anything to go by, I think he’s just content that barrel man no longer represents twenty percent of the life in the room.

I can’t promise he won’t still be fifty-one percent of the noise, though, but I will be owning the silence. I’m the ice queen of silence, aren’t I Tejo?

That’s right, I’m still talking to you whether you’re real or not. You don’t get off the hook that easy.

She taps a finger to her lips to ensure AR29’s silence, filters out the noise, and begins soaking in the detail of this dim room; one with a distinct configuration, tea-green stone cladding aside. It’s a convergence of two curving walls and a rolling roof, with a wide, if filthy, dark window wrapped around its nose, a slanted dash sweeping around beneath that, and five executive pedestal chairs stationed evenly around it, the left-most of which AR sits slowly down in.

There’s just one thing missing from this picture.

And with that at the forefront of her mind, she crosses the threshold.

Well ... This seems a bit wordy to me. Maybe wordy is not the right word but it's the one that come to mind. Had a little trouble following the action. Went back and reread it. Think I get it now.

I'm new here so I don't get this passage: "Who the [E-G1] hell dropped the giant barrel of ugly on his head ..." The link, E-G1, takes us to the main page of this site. Is there some significance to this??

The character apparently enters the room with the final sentence. But I somehow had the impression she had already entered the room and only one of the men noticed her.

We've got two mysterious people, Tejo and AR29. I guess Tejo is her imaginary friend. AR29 is another person in the room?? A robot?? The character's image in the mirror??

Looking forward to next installment, and the answers to some of my confusion.

Thanks @Narcissus, the E-G1 is a mistake on my part. I copied and pasted directly from my word document and this referencing is given to margin notes / comments. I'd flagged this because it was a swear word that I changed, but forgot to remove the comment.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm getting the distinct impression there are some key stage directions that I am missing in both this and the preceding section that covers what IC20 is doing. She is supposed to be turning from the mirror to see a crack-open door. She goes to the door and spies the people / argument on the other side. Then she opens the door, the argument as moved, and AR29 - the only man remaining in the next room - sees her.

As I said before, I was trying to make this slightly abstract, quick and quirky. I think I may have overdone it on that front, though.

Hi BT!
Thank you.
I think that sums it up. So, of course, it would not be necessary to add anything else. But I imagine you would consider it insufficient, or at first glance you would not understand what I really mean. And yes, I think you deserve an explanation.
Because when reading fragments like this what one feels is a huge relief, and I personally am glad to see that at least someone is closer, or that he have less way to go.
Because reviewing these texts in some way is like correcting exams. With the difference that, first, I do not consider myself a teacher, even though I already have more than twenty years of writing in the body (I write since I was 9 years old), I have won some awards and published. In addition, it frequently happens that some defend their work like true cats of backs, they do not always react in the best way, and on the other hand it also tires a little having to be repeating the same things always. But it is necessary. Duty and all that.
And yet what happens to me as a reader? Could be cooking some recipe, right? I mean, once in a while you hope to find some little gem. So, I repeat, what a relief to be able to write something that is not exactly a criticism!

This seemed too funny to me:

"... maybe he just skipped an evolutionary cycle or ten – no, that’s an affront to primates everywhere, ..."

And this already seemed to me simply from another level. It is when you already reach the stylistic flight:

“Like an ink sketch dropped in a pond, the impression she had of Tejo’s face has dissolved.”

Things like that I've only seen Gibson. And I hope that others can look at these examples so that they learn that this matter of writing is not so simple. No, gentlemen. For starters, I think that readers (and by extension those of this forum) deserve a minimum of respect. That is, the texts that are sent should have a minimum revision by the person who writes them. Because it is one thing to write well (that in terms of formality); but it is quite another to know how to tell a story.

I personally don't believe people who say they wrote something in half an hour and then drop it like apples.

As proof that I am right, in this same fragment are those two examples that I cited. That are not apples. They are inspirations that come to you because you have done all the previous planning and reflection work over days, months and years.
However, in this regard, and in particular on this story, it is still possible that it fails for many other aspects (development of the plot and the characters, internal coherence, setting, descriptions, etc.) that could only be reviewed contemplating the story as a whole.
But I take it for granted that you are aware of it.

After all, I'm only analyzing a specific fragment. But it is a lot like the situation of being in a bookstore and flipping through a few pages of a book. The reader with some experience immediately detects a good writer. That is not the case of an editor or a competition jury. Because those are already simply unforgiving.
But, going back to the perspective of the street reader like me, how good it is to be able to say from time to time: “Hey, this guy is good. It's damnly good! ”

In the same trench. With everyone. Always! :giggle:

Hi BT!
Thank you.
I think that sums it up. So, of course, it would not be necessary to add anything else. But I imagine you would consider it insufficient, or at first glance you would not understand what I really mean. And yes, I think you deserve an explanation.
Because when reading fragments like this what one feels is a huge relief, and I personally am glad to see that at least someone is closer, or that he have less way to go.
Because reviewing these texts in some way is like correcting exams. With the difference that, first, I do not consider myself a teacher, even though I already have more than twenty years of writing in the body (I write since I was 9 years old), I have won some awards and published. In addition, it frequently happens that some defend their work like true cats of backs, they do not always react in the best way, and on the other hand it also tires a little having to be repeating the same things always. But it is necessary. Duty and all that.
And yet what happens to me as a reader? Could be cooking some recipe, right? I mean, once in a while you hope to find some little gem. So, I repeat, what a relief to be able to write something that is not exactly a criticism!

This seemed too funny to me:

"... maybe he just skipped an evolutionary cycle or ten – no, that’s an affront to primates everywhere, ..."

And this already seemed to me simply from another level. It is when you already reach the stylistic flight:

“Like an ink sketch dropped in a pond, the impression she had of Tejo’s face has dissolved.”

Things like that I've only seen Gibson. And I hope that others can look at these examples so that they learn that this matter of writing is not so simple. No, gentlemen. For starters, I think that readers (and by extension those of this forum) deserve a minimum of respect. That is, the texts that are sent should have a minimum revision by the person who writes them. Because it is one thing to write well (that in terms of formality); but it is quite another to know how to tell a story.

I personally don't believe people who say they wrote something in half an hour and then drop it like apples.

As proof that I am right, in this same fragment are those two examples that I cited. That are not apples. They are inspirations that come to you because you have done all the previous planning and reflection work over days, months and years.
However, in this regard, and in particular on this story, it is still possible that it fails for many other aspects (development of the plot and the characters, internal coherence, setting, descriptions, etc.) that could only be reviewed contemplating the story as a whole.
But I take it for granted that you are aware of it.

After all, I'm only analyzing a specific fragment. But it is a lot like the situation of being in a bookstore and flipping through a few pages of a book. The reader with some experience immediately detects a good writer. That is not the case of an editor or a competition jury. Because those are already simply unforgiving.
But, going back to the perspective of the street reader like me, how good it is to be able to say from time to time: “Hey, this guy is good. It's damnly good! ”

In the same trench. With everyone. Always! :giggle:
Thanks so much @DLCroix for your kind words. And I definitely get what you mean about reading it in small parts. That was why I couldn't bring myself to post Chapter 1 of act 1. It is a 4,500 word slow build of darkness, tension, depression, torment and then - finally - release, and you don't get the release if you don't read the whole thing all the way through.

I must admit, I struggled to accept the restriction of 800 to 1,500 per week when I first heard about it. I understand it better now, but it was still a hard concept to embrace.

My sister is Beta reading Act 1 for me and I have given her word counts and rough reading time for each chapter, so she knows how long it will take her to read each one and can do it one go. Otherwise, it's like watching a TV show or a movie in parts (I know some people do that now). I just cannot do that. Maybe a documentary that I only have a passing interest in.

Anyway, thanks again, and I would appreciate any comments you have on part 3 of Chapter 1 of Act 2 when I post it next week. That was the real reason I posted it: the transition between character perspectives (between characters that "know" and one that doesn't). When I can get feedback on that, I will hopefully stop harassing everyone.

I take it for granted that it will be a great pleasure to read that, BT. No problem.

Overall, I enjoyed this and the last post, and look forward to next week's post. It feels developed as a world, overall clean, and has a good concept of the character's voice.

What concerns me is that it may be a little slow paced, especially for a second round of this happening. What I mean is, this functions like a second opening with some prior knowledge being carried over, yet it takes 1500 words to reach the first external conflict. Granted, there is some tension regarding the character seeing herself, and much of it will depend on the pacing of the rest of the story, but I cannot help but feel it's taking quite a while to get where it's going. That said, I understand why this is being done.

If I recall correctly, on the other thread you were interested in the POV shift between a 3rd person and a 1st person. I just processed these 1st person bits as her thoughts, rather than a distinct narration. So, this part works for me.

To get a bit nit-picky, some of the references to Tejo feel tacked on. One that caught me immediately was in the 3rd paragraph, but some of the others felt weird too. There are also some filler words throughout which can be either preserved for voice or cut will little consequence.

Altogether, though, not bad!

Overall, I enjoyed this and the last post, and look forward to next week's post. It feels developed as a world, overall clean, and has a good concept of the character's voice.

What concerns me is that it may be a little slow paced, especially for a second round of this happening. What I mean is, this functions like a second opening with some prior knowledge being carried over, yet it takes 1500 words to reach the first external conflict. Granted, there is some tension regarding the character seeing herself, and much of it will depend on the pacing of the rest of the story, but I cannot help but feel it's taking quite a while to get where it's going. That said, I understand why this is being done.

If I recall correctly, on the other thread you were interested in the POV shift between a 3rd person and a 1st person. I just processed these 1st person bits as her thoughts, rather than a distinct narration. So, this part works for me.

To get a bit nit-picky, some of the references to Tejo feel tacked on. One that caught me immediately was in the 3rd paragraph, but some of the others felt weird too. There are also some filler words throughout which can be either preserved for voice or cut will little consequence.

Altogether, though, not bad!
Thanks @Joshua Jones. I feel we maybe share some similar tastes. But, yes, I have think I am going to come back to Chapter 1 and rejig it a little based on this feedback. It is a little too abstract. Yes, the Tejo elements are supposed to be vague and puzzling, but there is a fine line between "hmmm" and "WTF" (and not a good kind of WTF).

These opening sections are the hardest because I am trying to introduce characters that don't themselves into a world that no one remembers. These memories / feelings are like echoes, like waking and struggling to remember a dream. Some of these characters remember more than others about where they were before this point, but even then they are not sure what it all means.

I guess its a tightrope between curious and rote.

Thanks @Joshua Jones. I feel we maybe share some similar tastes. But, yes, I have think I am going to come back to Chapter 1 and rejig it a little based on this feedback. It is a little too abstract. Yes, the Tejo elements are supposed to be vague and puzzling, but there is a fine line between "hmmm" and "WTF" (and not a good kind of WTF).

These opening sections are the hardest because I am trying to introduce characters that don't themselves into a world that no one remembers. These memories / feelings are like echoes, like waking and struggling to remember a dream. Some of these characters remember more than others about where they were before this point, but even then they are not sure what it all means.

I guess its a tightrope between curious and rote.
TBH, I liked the vague and abstract. I meant tacked on in the sense of sentence construction. For example, "It’s like some kooky AI accidentally lost my real face and had to make a new one out of putty, Tejo." vs. "It’s like some kooky AI accidentally lost my real face and had to make a new one out of putty." Inserting Tejo here somewhat feels like you realized you hadn't referenced him in awhile, and decided to tack a reference on at the end. Personally, I think it throws around the cadence of the sentence also. But, that's more of a nit pick rather than a full on issue...

Honestly, I like the direction this is going. Right now, based on what you've said about the story and what I've read, my theory is they're in a virtual scenario, and this second act is something like a respawn. I'm really curious how close this is to reality, or if there is anything at the end of act 1 which makes this impossible (don't tell me though! I want to be surprised during the beta read!).

TBH, I liked the vague and abstract. I meant tacked on in the sense of sentence construction. For example, "It’s like some kooky AI accidentally lost my real face and had to make a new one out of putty, Tejo." vs. "It’s like some kooky AI accidentally lost my real face and had to make a new one out of putty." Inserting Tejo here somewhat feels like you realized you hadn't referenced him in awhile, and decided to tack a reference on at the end. Personally, I think it throws around the cadence of the sentence also. But, that's more of a nit pick rather than a full on issue...

Honestly, I like the direction this is going. Right now, based on what you've said about the story and what I've read, my theory is they're in a virtual scenario, and this second act is something like a respawn. I'm really curious how close this is to reality, or if there is anything at the end of act 1 which makes this impossible (don't tell me though! I want to be surprised during the beta read!).
I see what you mean. The thing is, the whole tense of IC's segments of the story are that this is who she is consistently talking to in her head, rather than to the reader. Is there an official difference?

I see what you mean. The thing is, the whole tense of IC's segments of the story are that this is who she is consistently talking to in her head, rather than to the reader. Is there an official difference?

Not at all. The italics make it quite clear when they are her thoughts and at what moment the omni third person narrator enters.