DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 2020 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Ahh! I was in the midst of reading the 300 worders so I could vote today, then THIS has to come in!! Sooo distracted now! :) I'll read & vote, then start imagining...
Nice choices, TJ!

Nice choices! I... well I've got nothing so far, but I'll figure out something!

I always thought steampunk was a fashion industry thing. Opera glasses as spectacles and sewing bit of clocks to your clothes.:confused:
Having never read any, could you good folk point me at a couple (as in 2) of representative short stories (not novels given the timescale) so that I can get in the 'steampunk groove' as it were?
Cheers
Astro

Last edited:
We've had steampunk as a genre before in the Challenges so these might be of help (there might be another one or two as well, further back)
And if you go into the relevant Discussion threads for these months, there might be posts about what makes steampunk.

In addition, when I was looking for these threads, I noticed there were a number of entries on other Challenges which in the discussions about them were referred to as steampunk, so just doing a search here might turn up a few more stories in, say, the 300s which might help.

(And if you want anyone to blame, it's all Ursa's fault! I couldn't decide between three genres and he plumped for this one!)

We've had steampunk as a genre before in the Challenges so these might be of help (there might be another one or two as well, further back)
And if you go into the relevant Discussion threads for these months, there might be posts about what makes steampunk.

In addition, when I was looking for these threads, I noticed there were a number of entries on other Challenges which in the discussions about them were referred to as steampunk, so just doing a search here might turn up a few more stories in, say, the 300s which might help.

(And if you want anyone to blame, it's all Ursa's fault! I couldn't decide between three genres and he plumped for this one!)
Ah, August 2017... what I picked after the last time I won this challenge... I need to step up my game.

Proverbs?! I might really get into this one. My life is filled with Biblical proverbs and business axioms, but then (sigh!) steam punk. Well a little hard work is good for everyone, (grumbling) including me.

----------

@Luiglin .... Proverbs 10:12 - Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins .... Luiglin reminds us of a wonderful Biblical proverb which changes the world and is best received by a reciprocated love.

@Cat's Cradle .... The Engraver and the Mechaniman .... The Cat quotes Honest Abe's powerful proverb in a time when the message in a world of steampunk and the world of humanity is just as relevant as it ever was.

@Astro Pen .... The Farquarson’s Excursion .... A. Pen warps a proverb and time simultaneously.

@chrispenycate .... Flying high .... Chris P sees a steampunk world where both proverbs and aristocratic living have both been grievously diluted.

I'm not entirely sure what Steampunk is, but I think I kinda maybe nearly fulfilled the genre.

Well, that's me in too. Red wine staining my lips, I arrived at my keyboard angry and disillusioned, ready to unleash shear black. 15 minutes later, something completely different plopped out. Who am I to argue with this wild wayfinder!

Okay I'm in! Had a bit of fun writing that. :)
You nailed it, @Astro Pen!

I'm in too! Not sure I hit the genre or the theme. :)
On the contrary, I think you were right on the money!

I'm in and a change for me.
Egads, @Luiglin, you have a heart!

Keep in mind I had no idea what I did. lol. I created something that I hope makes sense to someone. In any event, it's done and posted.
Such as it is.

Enjoy the day and stay safe and be careful.

@Ashleyne .... GETTING STONED .... Ash takes what may be the most well known of all contrived proverbs and gives it an hilarious truth.

@Iwroteathing .... DUMMY UP .... I.W. Thing supports the idea that some have a more crashing idea of what is involved in a day's work.

@BT Jones .... Falling Hurts Least Those Who Fly Low .... BT J points us to the blowback when we bring something crashing down.

@Calliopenjo .... Proverb 1:20 .... Calli takes us to the eternal protest which speaks truth to power.

@RMetrics .... A Sandsail with a Flaw .... RM follows a derivative of an old proverb which helps us to make the best of what you have.

@AMB .... Words of Wisdom I Wish I’d Heard Sooner .... AMB understands that reading the directions should not be the last resort, or it may be your last anything.

Last edited:

Back