DISCUSSION THREAD -- August 2020 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

An excellent crop of stories this month. My vote went to The Engraver and the Mechaniman. Honorable mentions to Be Careful What You Wish For and I remember it well...

(And now I really must be off to finish my secret santa story before the flying moggles are sicced upon me)

I enjoyed reading each story. :)

I had a lot of stories in my listings, and decided to go with a shortlist, and vote, to keep things manageable. Here we are:

Shortlist:
Victoria Silverwolf, Guttersnipe, Parson, paranoid marvin, The Judge

Vote:
Bren G's charming story, You Complete Me. A fine and uplifiting effort, Bren G - loved it!

Big thanks to BT Jones, Parson, Provincial, Joshua Jones, johnnyjet and Peter V for the listings. I'm very grateful to TheEndIsNigh, Guttersnipe and sule for the votes. :)

Fun Challenge - well done, all, CC

I enjoyed reading each story. :)

I had a lot of stories in my listings, and decided to go with a shortlist, and vote, to keep things manageable. Here we are:

Shortlist:
Victoria Silverwolf, Guttersnipe, Parson, paranoid marvin, The Judge

Vote:
Bren G's charming story, You Complete Me. A fine and uplifiting effort, Bren G - loved it!

Big thanks to BT Jones, Parson, Provincial, Joshua Jones, johnnyjet and Peter V for the listings. I'm very grateful to TheEndIsNigh, Guttersnipe and sule for the votes. :)

Fun Challenge - well done, all, CC
Thanks so much @Cat's Cradle. That is so very kind of you!

Hmm. Some stories this month where I either didn't see or didn't know a proverb, and one or two which for me missed the genre. That still left a lot, though, and my favourites this month:

Ashleyne -- Getting Stoned
Astro Pen -- The Farquarson's Excursion
chrispenycate -- Flying High
Marvin -- How many mad scientists...
Provincial -- Steam Train's a-comin'
Ursa major -- Build a Better Mousetrap...
Victoria Silverwolf -- A Technical Problem
The puns were thick and fast among that lot, and I had a hard job choosing, but in the end Chris P's half an oaf just pipped Ursa's Ada Lovelace.

Many cogged and cooked thanks for the lovely mentions/shortlistings BT Jones, Parson, Hugh, johnnyjet, Peter V, Bren G and CC. Oh, and HBM boiling broth thanks for the wonderful stealth vote Phyrebrat!

The Ursa Jury's cognitive faculties were at full stretch as it got its collective teeth into this months stories. Determine to leave themselves time to let off some steam, they produced the following (in which the stories are in posting order within the categories):

Honourable Mentions:
  • The Engraver and the Mechaniman by Cat's Cradle
  • Flying high by chrispenycate
  • You Complete Me by Bren G
  • "The Victorian da Vinci" by Guttersnipe

Runners Up:
  • But Not Flying Saucers… by mosaix
  • How to Make a Forum Groan. by Perpetual Man
  • Be Careful What You Wish For by Paranoid Marvin

Winner:
  • A Technical Problem by Victoria Silverwolf

Well deserved @Bren G ; I know your story held me back on deciding a final vote for some time (as noted in my short list), and you seemed to be on most folks whether you received their vote or not. That says a lot since you struck a nerve in so many folks. It was not over the top, overly dramatic, but was heartwarming in the sort of way that left an impression that didn't fade. Well done and well earned!

Great job everyone! Some very good stuff this competition all around. A lot of diverse ideas around common themes that all opened the door to building upon them.

K2

Congratulations, Bren G! Happy to have voted for the eventual winner, and again, it's a terrific story. Looking forward to your choices for September - we get to do this all over again in 3 days! :)

Well done @Bren G (y)

And big thanks to @-K2- for the totally unexpected vote

And thanks for the mentions those who did

And thanks everyone for reading my esoteric entry - I'll explain why later ;)

A big hearty round of applause to Bren G!

And thanks for all the mentions and especially to Elvet and Peter V for the votes. I could not make my original story shrink enough to fit 75 words so had to take part of it and do something a little different. It was meant to be something a little silly and truly groanworthy so to get mentions and a vote or two was a huge surprise and very gratifying. Thank you.

Back