Any hard SF movie with some romance? Period setting even?

StevenF

Not where I'd most like to be but mustn't grumble.
Hello, so it’s finally time for me to choose a movie for us to watch, and seeing as I never really watch these days what I like most, it’s an opportunity for me to find something that hopefully won’t send her to sleep or reaching for her phone/pad/pillow after ten minutes.

I most like what seems to be called ‘hard’ sci-fi, what I used to like to call ‘serious’ sci-fi, a good example being Contact, and even Interstellar I guess,
and not so much space battles and laser guns and all that. But am really not clued up as to what else is out there and searches haven’t been helping much at the last minute.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to something along those lines that is hard sci-fi-ish but also has significant character and relationship stuff in it?

Her preference would be typical romance/ romantic comedy stuff, ideally set in period / Victorian times, which is where the difficulty starts. A sci-fi period drama romance might be tricky combination... (or an opportunity for the right author or director :) )

Is there anything out there that might fit this description?
Thanks!

No Victorian setting so I hesitate to mention Passengers. Some people think it a good film. It is a romance of sorts.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to something along those lines that is hard sci-fi-ish but also has significant character and relationship stuff in it?

If we're keeping outside of the Victorian period, then it's hard to go wrong with Apollo 13 or the film Hidden Figures.

Some might argue they're historical rather than speculative so not proper SF, but both are based on various NASA space programs, so there's a good enough dash of space science to make them feel authentic, without overwhelming the audience.

Additionally, these are character-driven stories that are very engaging and have wide audience appeal.

I might also suggest Gravity - there are flaws in the science, but it's a very effective film.

Time Travelers Wife (or whatever it was called)

Tremors (for humour)

Time Machine (in it's various incarnations - There's even a B/W version that was made in Victorian times** - Double Whammy)

The Thing*** (A real tear jerker.)

** I lie a lot
*** Warned you

Star Wars
The Fifth Element
Valerian

Admittedly none particularly hard sf.

Now I'm curious what you decided on! My wife and I have similar challenges, although we usually agree on comedy, a well written drama, or occasional psychological horror. I typically keep my SFF viewing for myself for precisely the reasons you mentioned, as well as documentaries (TBH, I'll pick the latter if I know she needs sleep, as they are better than melatonin for putting her into a deep sleep!)

I'll sometimes pick romances for her sake, and for some... well, ulterior motives...

Time Travellers Wife is a horrid movie, but great book (but the science is very dodgy!)
I second this. I thought it was a comedy when I saw it with my [now] ex.

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions! I've just watched the trailers for all of those that I hadn't seen and there are a few that I think might work.

Overall, the Time Machine looks spot in terms of setting. She's not averse to a bit of time travel herself so wiIl likely try that initially. Other than that, Hidden Figures and Time Traveler's Wife as options she might like (will be her choice ;) .

I also like the look of Passengers though it might be a bit too isolated for her. And I'll save something like Valerian for myself one evening.
Thank you again!

@Joshua Jones We didn't get around to watching one when we planned so I'm still looking forward to the result and what she chooses...

I enjoy "The Time Traveler's Wife" both as a book and as a movie.

Passengers is better than the trailer.

Of course, if you want a romantic movie, the only place to start is Cinema Paradiso.

About the only two films my ex and I really got on with were Wall-E and a strange romantic drama called Monsters, about two people crossing into America after a sort of alien invasion. It was a rather odd film: interesting rather than outright good, but still worth a look, I think.

I agree that Passengers seems better to me than most reviewers thought.

The Forbin Project 1970 There was a bit of a contrived romance to fool the Colossus computer.

The Space Between Us (2017): fits but got terrible reception and criticism
Never Let Me Go (2010): dystopian romantic tragedy; based on a novel by Kazuo Ishiguro
Her (2013): man and computer personality fall in love
The Fountain (2006): fantasy scenes pop up but mostly focuses on a scientist trying to cure his wife
Gattaca (1997): biopunk; romance between a genetically engineered person and a regular person

What about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?