(Found) Need Help With Sci Fi Short Story Memory

DarkuTuscan

For the past few days I have been trying to remember the title and author of a sci fi short story I read in the late 70's or early 80's. I have tried googling different phrases I remember from the book but have come up empty. I am hoping someone here will know the story. To the best of my knowledge, here is what I remember:

a corporate board of directors forms the actual government of Earth. It was founded by an immensely wealthy man to control his business interests while he was suspended animation awaiting a cure for cancer, at which time he would re-assume full control of his financial empire . The story is set seventy-two years after the cure for all forms of cancer was discovered, but the Board keeps voting to keep the founder in suspended animation because he was, in fact, something of a tyrant and would undo all the good work the Board has done for the advancement of Man. The story of his history, how he rose from abject poverty by any legal and illegal means necessary, and the history of the board is told in flashbacks. Here are a few of the phrases I remember from the story:

"With proper funding I could improve the process, well...considerably."

He nodded and opened his checkbook. "Here is a blank check, separate from your retainer. Buy whatever you need to buy and buy the best. Charge it to me. No ceiling. No limit. I am not a generous man, but neither and I niggardly when it comes to getting what I want."

"Is this a sophomoric prank for the edification of new members?"

"That is when we voted to commit the first of seventy-two consecutive crimes."

"We prevented a third world war by a seizure of all fuel supplies on Earth."

The story was in an English-language elementary school book of literature, so I am am certain it dates from the 50's or 60's. Any help in identifying this story is appreciated. Thank you.

And don't disappear just because you were answered, DarkuTuscan! Hang around and have a rummage through our 90,000+ threads - you never know what you'll discover. And you'll find us the friendliest SFF forum on the web - the word n**b is banned...

Back