Mind Blowing Graphic Novel or Manga

tylerishungry

Hello All,

First post here! Joined in search of a manga / graphic novel that blew your mind. Something that left you with a new perspective. Something that once you finished, you instantly wanted to share with friends and family. Bonus points for melodrama and action.

Double extra bonus points for dark and epic fantasy!

Not fantasy, actually quite far from it with both being realist stories. Both are by Inio Asano, probably one of, if not the very best to use manga as a Literary medium at the moment.

A Girl on the Shore

Solanin

A couple more threads that may help you. :)

One Graphic Novel that made me run around the house getting people to read it was my First Asterix book, Asterix and the Goths. Admittedly was about seven at the time. It was the first time I read a story that was in pictures, layout and dialogue. I wouldn't call it dark but it is definitely Epic Fantasy.... [there is that Magic Potion :sneaky:]

Yeh the sandman for me to, the first appearance of death is such a sublime little story.

Not my fave of all time but their is a Manga series called the Embalmer, which is a collection of stories around a young man in japan who embalms for a living funnily enough. And it is worth a read, superbly illustrated throughout as you would expect and the stories are both subtle and delicate.

Each story involves the life of those passed on and how they affected the world around them.

Rather than give you something you'll need to buy, I'm going to suggest the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court.

Don't worry too much about the art at the beginning, as it gets infinitely better as time goes by.

I'm not really into Manga, but the following graphic novels stuck me as particularly good:

Slaine: The Horned God (a violent Celtic myth with strange, Klimt-like art)
The Ballad of Halo Jones (a really good story about a woman who goes to space and ends up in a war)
The World of Edena (very stylish and surreal space adventure - very French!)
The Black Monday Murders (unsettling story of a group of billionaires who worship the god of money)
We 3 (an allegory about animal rights, concerning three bionic animals who escape from a lab)
Frank Hampson's Dan Dare (glorious technicolour 1950s space adventure)
Rawhead Rex (very gory and sinister Clive Barker adaptation)
Persepolis (an autobiography in comic strip about growing up in revolutionary Iran)

So if you got some money read The Eternaut, if you like a long series and try XII day of the black sun, if you want something crazy and fun read American Barbarian.

I'm not really into Manga, but the following graphic novels stuck me as particularly good:

Slaine: The Horned God (a violent Celtic myth with strange, Klimt-like art)
The Ballad of Halo Jones (a really good story about a woman who goes to space and ends up in a war)
The World of Edena (very stylish and surreal space adventure - very French!)
The Black Monday Murders (unsettling story of a group of billionaires who worship the god of money)
We 3 (an allegory about animal rights, concerning three bionic animals who escape from a lab)
Frank Hampson's Dan Dare (glorious technicolour 1950s space adventure)
Rawhead Rex (very gory and sinister Clive Barker adaptation)
Persepolis (an autobiography in comic strip about growing up in revolutionary Iran)
Good choices.
Love Aedena, in fact anything by Moebius.

A number of artists with quite distinct styles have drawn Slaine. I have colour book which looks like it was done in acrylics, I think by Pat Mills.

Thanks! I got into Moebius last summer and thought that his books were amazing. I love the big pictures in The Art of Edena and the way he fades the colours.

It's funny how the a comic can change so much. I bought one of the later Slaine books, The Book of Invasions, which has an art style based on what look like digitally-adapted photos, and really disliked both the art and the story.

nogegoncover.jpeg

The last comic book that dropped my jaw and made me go back and immediately read it again was Nogégon - the third book in Les Terres Creuses (Hollow Earths) series by François Schuiten and Luc Schuiten, published in 1990. The story is slight. A character arrives in a location and encounters several residents in her search for another character last seen in the previous book. The world our heroine arrives at is obsessed with symmetry. About three quarters of the way through the book I realised the authors were too because the whole book is symmetrical. Everything that happens in the first half of the book is played out in reverse during the second. The characters she meets are reversals of the characters she met earlier their motivations the opposite of their previous counterparts. Even the frame layout and the composition within each panel on the page is the same - but reversed. And the page numbering, and covers too. And the art is just fecking gorgeous. It's a hell of a conceit and a mind-boggler. I loved it.

I was more than happy to notice it referenced in a recent Jamie Smart strip in The Phoenix Comic. And the palindromic pages idea turned up in another recent purchase. Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland - which is a delight. I wish I had the courage skill to do something similar in my own comics.

Berserk by Kentaro Miura (RIP)
Blame! by Tsutomo Nihei
Akira by Katsuhiro Otomo
Domu by Katsuhiro Otomo
Opus by Satoshi Kon
Seraphim by Satoshi Kon and Mamaru Oshii
Flowers of Evil by Shuzo Oshimi
Cannabis Works by Tanaka Tatsuyuki
Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction by Inio Asano
Goodnight Punpun by Inio Asano
Lone Wolf and Cub by Koike and Kojima
Uzumaki by Junji Ito