Mind Blowing Graphic Novel or Manga

tylerishungry

Hello All,

First post here! Joined in search of a manga / graphic novel that blew your mind. Something that left you with a new perspective. Something that once you finished, you instantly wanted to share with friends and family. Bonus points for melodrama and action.

Double extra bonus points for dark and epic fantasy!

Windupbird

Not fantasy, actually quite far from it with both being realist stories. Both are by Inio Asano, probably one of, if not the very best to use manga as a Literary medium at the moment.

A Girl on the Shore

Solanin

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
A couple more threads that may help you. :)

CupofJoe

some medals you wear on your heart not your sleeve
One Graphic Novel that made me run around the house getting people to read it was my First Asterix book, Asterix and the Goths. Admittedly was about seven at the time. It was the first time I read a story that was in pictures, layout and dialogue. I wouldn't call it dark but it is definitely Epic Fantasy.... [there is that Magic Potion :sneaky:]

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
Yeh the sandman for me to, the first appearance of death is such a sublime little story.

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
Not my fave of all time but their is a Manga series called the Embalmer, which is a collection of stories around a young man in japan who embalms for a living funnily enough. And it is worth a read, superbly illustrated throughout as you would expect and the stories are both subtle and delicate.

Each story involves the life of those passed on and how they affected the world around them.

.matthew.

Rather than give you something you'll need to buy, I'm going to suggest the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court.

Don't worry too much about the art at the beginning, as it gets infinitely better as time goes by.