Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Ancillary Mercy is the last book in Leckie’s Imperial Raadch trilogy (there is a fourth book set in the same world but with a different setting), which continues and wraps up the story of the reduced Ship Breq’s private crusade against the leader of the Radch. To be honest I did not quite feel it was fully wrapped up so maybe Leckie will be returning to this story in the future.

Once again the writing is solid, keeping things moving along briskly with a good story, interesting characters and equally (or more) interesting world building. One aspect of that world building however that really grated with me in this volume has to do with the gender issues. Leckie’s really quite neat creation of a virtually genderless society is intriguing and well-constructed and, on a personal note, thank goodness for her decision to simply address everyone as feminine rather than inventing horrible ‘gender neutral’ pronouns. Something I personally hate with a vengeance and that pulls me out of the story every time I read one. So great on that. Also great that she really does manage, for me, to make the gender of the various Radch characters irrelevant. But in this book it seems that all the crack soldiers on our hero’s ship are ready to burst into tears at the slightest bit of emotional stress. Most seemed to spend inordinate amounts of time either about to break into tears or already merrily sobbing away. Now I’m sorry but it’s always been my experience that soldiers, male or female, are not generally given to bursting into emotional tears all the time like this. And, sadly, that tended to undermine the genderless approach somewhat and irritated me no end. I mean, really, can you imagine a bunch of sailors on a modern warship openly weeping when their captain departs on a dangerous mission? I don’t remember the previous books being quite as full of blubbering characters but maybe I’ve blocked that out.

It's a shame that I found this so annoying as pretty much every other aspect of the books I found excellent. In particular as, presumably, Leckie’s writing confidence has grown so has she included considerably more humour in this book and it works well. In particular she clearly had tremendous fun with one semi-alien character, Translator Zeiat, causing me to laugh out loud on several occasions.

The only other complaint I have is that I felt there were too many loose ends and I am not aware of any continuation planned for this particular story. That aside it was a very good book and trilogy and I shall certainly be reading Provenance, her next novel in this universe.

4/5 stars

I have these in my Kindle library and it was one of my 2020 reading goals. Alas, the COVID lockdown put paid to most of my reading plans.

Nice review.

I have these in my Kindle library and it was one of my 2020 reading goals. Alas, the COVID lockdown put paid to most of my reading plans.

Nice review.
They are very good in my opinion. Just don't make the mistake of trying to figure the actual gender of the characters; the whole point is that it really doesn't matter. Even if some seem more masculine or feminine it doesn't mean they are actual male or female, it's just natural variation in peoples particular characters. If you accept that then, I think, the whole culture makes much more sense.

Now I’m sorry but it’s always been my experience that soldiers, male or female, are not generally given to bursting into emotional tears all the time like this. And, sadly, that tended to undermine the genderless approach somewhat and irritated me no end. I mean, really, can you imagine a bunch of sailors on a modern warship openly weeping when their captain departs on a dangerous mission?

I haven't read the books, but I've read that apparently the Georgians pretty much all emoted to excess (as we would think of it), with emotional stoicism being a Victorian introduction, so it's at least partly cultural. I assume the culture of the books isn't meant to be like ours, if there's no gender-pronoun distinction?

I'd have thought a culture of emotional release in soldiers might pay big dividends in mental health (except in actual combat).

I haven't read the books, but I've read that apparently the Georgians pretty much all emoted to excess (as we would think of it), with emotional stoicism being a Victorian introduction, so it's at least partly cultural. I assume the culture of the books isn't meant to be like ours, if there's no gender-pronoun distinction?

I'd have thought a culture of emotional release in soldiers might pay big dividends in mental health (except in actual combat).
Yes I can sort of see that but when you read the books you might see what I'm getting at. They are hard as nails when it comes to action but when it comes to relationships they seem to dissolve into tears at the slightest provocation and, though I may be misremembering, I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case in the previous two books.

I mean, really, can you imagine a bunch of sailors on a modern warship openly weeping when their captain departs on a dangerous mission?

I don't know about sailors, but in the primary sources for Roman history, legionaries routinely weep over the deeds, threats, and cajoles of their generals.