All books set in the Revelation Space universe

TheClockmaker

Hello,

I'm new here so apologies if I'm asking an already answered question, but I couldn't find the answer myself. Also, move it if it's in the wrong forum.

In the last few months, I've gone through the following books from the Revelation Space collection (in no particular order after the first 4):
  • Revelation Space
  • Chasm City
  • Redemption Ark
  • Absolution Gap
  • The Prefect
  • Dilation Sleep
  • A Spy in Europa
  • Galactic North
  • Great Wall of Mars
  • Glacial
  • Diamond Dogs
  • Turquoise Days
  • Weather
  • Grafenwalder's Bestiary
  • Nightingale
Needless to say, I think Revelation Space is one of the greatest creations that have ever been written in the history of sci-fi.

I've always been fascinated with sci-fi and the vast frontier of possibilities it offers. I guess my true passion for it formulated sometime during my baby steps into the psychedelic realm of experience some 5 years ago or so. Then I read The Three Body Problem series by Liu Cixin, which I found absolutely mind-blowing. Someone then recommended Reynolds and I started reading RS. There was a very obvious contrast in writing style - Cixin is vaguer and scarcer in detail compared to the rich and vivid sceneries Reynolds paints. However, he has a very interesting way of pulling the reader back to a more distant perspective while still keeping the narrative impactful and engaging. I find both styles having their own strong sides and I love them equally.

However now having just finished The Prefect, I know Elysium Fire is its chronological continuation. But I want to read more of RS. In fact, I want to read ALL books that are set in the RS universe. I'm not particularly interested in reading order since I've read almost all of them already, but I was wondering if any of you kind folk can list the books I've missed (and a recommended reading order if you have one). That would be immensely helpful and greatly appreciated.

I fell in love with the RS universe to such a degree that it has inspired me to dabble in writing sci-fi on my own. I've always loved writing, particularly in English. Being from Bulgaria, I've seen the impact not knowing English has had on people, and ever since I was a kid I've always wanted to be good at it. Now it's become somewhat of my second native language, and I want to test my skills in writing.

Also, if you're interested in hearing Reynolds' opinion and advice on writing and a few other things, check the discussion I had with him a few days ago on his blog:
On writing

Well, that will be it for now. Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the Chrons. It is a wonderful place to be.

I too adore Alistair’s Revelation Space universe, although I was somewhat disappointed by Elysium Fire, I do hope he returns to the universe soon. I always hoped he would return to the crew of the Nostalgia for Infinity as I would love to read Captain Brannigan’s story.

Welcome to the Chrons. It is a wonderful place to be.

I too adore Alistair’s Revelation Space universe, although I was somewhat disappointed by Elysium Fire, I do hope he returns to the universe soon. I always hoped he would return to the crew of the Nostalgia for Infinity as I would love to read Captain Brannigan’s story.
Hey that's a great idea! Send this blog to the author. We would like a prequel with Brannigan's story as part of the main line.
I am about to start book three of RS after I finish up with Blake Crouch. I have not read as much SF as some people here but of what I have read Chasm City was my all-time favorite. Blew me away. I still have yet to read Vinge or Hamilton and they are on my list for sure. Same with Liu.

Actually I found the answer to my question in AR's website:
Of my books to date, six are set in the same “Revelation Space” universe. The reading order isn’t that critical, in my view, but it probably improves things to read REVELATION SPACE, REDEMPTION ARK and ABSOLUTION GAP in that sequence. THE PREFECT (AURORA RISING) and ELYSIUM FIRE may be read alone or jointly, but should best be read in the above order. CHASM CITY, as well as the collections DIAMOND DOGS, TURQUOISE DAYS and GALACTIC NORTH, can be read at any point.

So it would seem I've read everything in the RS universe so far. I started Century Rain a few days ago and so far it's very interesting.

I have to confess that I struggle with AR's work outside of the Revelation Space setting.

I read Century Rain, but I haven't read any of his other stand alone novels.

I have to confess that I struggle with AR's work outside of the Revelation Space setting.

I read Century Rain, but I haven't read any of his other stand alone novels.
Yeah, I'm currently finishing Century Rain but I'm not sure I'll keep on reading all his other stuff. After so many books I'm starting to get a little bit exhausted by the same way of writing. Don't get me wrong, I think Reynolds' detailed description of absolutely everything has its pros and makes for an immersive reading experience, but given I have Dan Simmons' Hyperion saga waiting unread in my Kindle I think I'll move on from Alastair's work for now. Maybe after I'm done with Hyperion I'll come back to read Poseidon's Children.

Chasm City should be read either before the RS trilogy or between books one and two. There are a bunch of occurrences in book two that make no sense unless you have read CC first. I won't go into detail so as not to give any spoilers.

Yeah, I'm currently finishing Century Rain but I'm not sure I'll keep on reading all his other stuff. After so many books I'm starting to get a little bit exhausted by the same way of writing. Don't get me wrong, I think Reynolds' detailed description of absolutely everything has its pros and makes for an immersive reading experience, but given I have Dan Simmons' Hyperion saga waiting unread in my Kindle I think I'll move on from Alastair's work for now. Maybe after I'm done with Hyperion I'll come back to read Poseidon's Children.
Read hyperion! It reminded me of the foundation saga by asimov, but much more poignant, even though it was written in the very late 80's it still resonates today.

Back