"The Big Red Button"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersnipe

mortal ally
Here is a very short story I wrote within a half an hour. I'm not sure if I like it or hate it, or whether it's good or bad. I do feel it is missing something. Lmk. I think I should elucidate the relationship between the narrator and her uncle, so far as motives go.

"The Big Red Button"

My uncle Dave was always tinkering with things, both out of curiosity and his willingness to avoid me. If it had parts, he'd disassemble and re-assemble, often improving upon its function. He had a workshop, i.e. a garage, where he toyed with his findings and used tools beyond the reasoning of most people. There was little need for a car during the epoch of computerized drivers. Instead, he filled it with piles of junk and Tesla machinery, building things with which I am still not familiar. One day, when he was away, I decided to give into the voice and explore.

You see, all my life has been hellish due to a disorder that has led some examiners to label me psychotic. I would be okay with "psychotic"; it's probably more rational than my real problem. This is: hearing a small but persistent voice in my mind saying, "Big red button," over and over again, for about an hour last week. Medication has not helped. I thought that, by discovering this big red button, I could stop the voice. And I noticed that, the closer I got to a far corner of the garage, the voice quickened its pace.

I must've looked mad. I tore apart and broke several pieces of deconstructed contraptions to get to the wall.

Sure enough, there was a big red button, protected by diaphanium.

"Big red button!" the voice insisted, "Big red--"

"I can't open it!" I shouted. I needed to find something strong. I rushed to the toolbox and knocked it over, rummaging around in the metallic pile. I found nothing promising.

Then it hit me. I went back to the button and, seeing some small holes in the wall, searched inside with my hands. When I lay my finger on it, I knew what it was--a code-block. The green light glowed inside its casing. Having operated one before, I typed in my late grandmother's name (over whose death Dave was hit hardest) and spoke my name into it. Then I attached it to the diaphanium. It clicked and fell off.

"Button! Button!" the voice cried, echoing through my mind.

I pressed it with all the finality of a maestro finishing a masterpiece. I felt as if I'd hit nirvana. The voice had ceased.

There was an explosion of color. Objects flew about ordering and rearranging themselves. The hands of the clock on the wall were speeding backwards. The metal doors opened and closed, and Dave walked forward and back. Light, darkness, light, over and over.

When I became aware that time had resumed functioning rationally, all was dark. Something was hanging onto me. Then I was in the blinding light, assaulted by an onslaught of noise. I, naturally, cried.

"Twins!" said a female voice. A man wearing a small mask came into view.

"Yeah, that's a twin. We could split them up if you like, but that one looks to be parasitic. We can get rid of it, for the most part."

"For the most part?" The voice was beginning to sound familiar. I cried against her bosom.

"Part of its brain will be left with your fully functioning daughter."

Another man walked in. He wore a suit with red buttons.

"Big red button!" the twin internally chanted, and I could hear it. Soon, its body would be gone. All of this was cold comfort, however, and I saw my uncle smirking at me with his red-buttoned suit.

I am already forgetting my name. Hopefully, my twin will always remember the red button. What's that?

I think what strikes me off the bat is that the titular "Big Red Button" issue should be introduced at the beginning of the story, rather than coming in the middle of the second paragraph. Because that's really what drives the whole story (at least that's what it felt like to me) and we spend an entire paragraph on the hobbies of the uncle before we even get to it. Just having the narrator mention at the beginning something like, "I woke up this morning and the voice in my head was chanting 'Big Red Button'" (and obviously you could find a better way to do it) lets the reader know what the central conflict is.

I think I agree with you that the relationship with the uncle feels a bit underdeveloped, but otherwise I think the premise of your story is very unique and interesting.

I think what strikes me off the bat is that the titular "Big Red Button" issue should be introduced at the beginning of the story, rather than coming in the middle of the second paragraph. Because that's really what drives the whole story (at least that's what it felt like to me) and we spend an entire paragraph on the hobbies of the uncle before we even get to it. Just having the narrator mention at the beginning something like, "I woke up this morning and the voice in my head was chanting 'Big Red Button'" (and obviously you could find a better way to do it) lets the reader know what the central conflict is.

I think I agree with you that the relationship with the uncle feels a bit underdeveloped, but otherwise I think the premise of your story is very unique and interesting.

Yeah, I got stuck on the first paragraph. I'm glad you liked it otherwise. Tbh I just had an idea and went with it while I was in need of sleep.

Sorry @Guttersnipe but it didn't work for me.

The actual idea works, but the Uncle tinkering doesn't fit in to any timeline I can imagine.

Also memories at birth are most unusual. I've never heard of anyone remembering anything pre six months never mind birth.

Although I do live a sheltered life.

Hope I helped

Tein

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm with @TheEndIsNigh... the concept itself has promise, but I don't see how the tinkering aspect of the uncle plays into this, and memories from that early are quite incredible. I would also agree with you that the relationship needs to be elaborated upon. Does she merely visit her uncle, or does she stay with them. If the latter, why? What happened to her mother? If you wanted to avoid this, merely changing her uncle to her father would suffice and I don't think your losing anything from the narrative, at least so far as you posted here. That could also be really interesting if, say, the narrator turns out to be the parasitic twin in some way. Could play into grief, unwillingness to accept loss, and that sort of thing.

Either way a good start!

@Joshua Jones and @TheEndIsNigh I frankly agree with it being strange for babies to have memories. Could it be helped if the baby/babies was/were mutants, or is that kind of cheap? Damon Knight wrote "Special Delivery", and it had some influence. I'm probably just going to get rid of the first paragraph, as it really doesn't belong. I was trying too hard to add interesting detail. Thank you!

@Joshua Jones and @TheEndIsNigh I frankly agree with it being strange for babies to have memories. Could it be helped if the baby/babies was/were mutants, or is that kind of cheap? I'm probably just going to get rid of the first paragraph, as it really doesn't belong. I was trying too hard to add interesting detail. Thank you!
I mean, nothing is cheap if it's done well. If you go with "because mutant!" then I think that leaves alot of potential on the table. What sort of mutant? Does the mutation give them the ability to remember everything, or draw it out of a person's mind, or [insert definition of power here]. Are there limits to what they can know/remember? My first impulse was evil, telepathic twin, but that begs the same questions and kinda betrays my pet appreciation for horror...

I think the detail of his tinkering could be interesting... if it's relevant to the story. As it stands, it looks like an excuse to have a bunch of junk lying around for the button to be hidden behind. How it relates to the story, as well as the cause of the preternatural memory, is part of what will define how the story goes forward.

A very intriguing premise, @Guttersnipe. I must admit, I wasn't following it particularly well. So, is all the stuff about the garage, the button and the decoder thing a real memory of something? Or is it the imagined world of the baby? If it a real memory, how is the baby having it? He can't see can he? I think if it had been a metaphorical puzzle / quest or obstacle to solve that was patently unreal, which then immediately segued to birth, I think that would have been more vivid and symbolic...

Or am I being really dumb here? Did the kid / adult push the red button and it was a time machine and it took him back to his birth. Sorry if I'm not getting it.

On a separate note, I felt that the whole challenge / obstacle of 'I can't open it' was solved too quickly. I felt it it was something the character had to struggle with a little longer, then the payoff would have been better. As it was, it was 'I can't open it' Literally next sentence, he works out and it all comes naturally (shades of Trinity in the Matrix downloading a helicopter manual).

My personal feeling was that the most emotionally poignant part of the tale was the loss / sacrifice of a twin to (presumably) save a healthy child. I found the idea of that premise actually quite emotional, but perhaps this aspect was a little underdone.

I haven't done many of these critiques (just posted my own today for dissection, so am trying to give back), so sorry if I'm taking this too far. But I was definitely interested. Happy to have you clarify anything I got wrong.

A very intriguing premise, @Guttersnipe. I must admit, I wasn't following it particularly well. So, is all the stuff about the garage, the button and the decoder thing a real memory of something? Or is it the imagined world of the baby? If it a real memory, how is the baby having it? He can't see can he? I think if it had been a metaphorical puzzle / quest or obstacle to solve that was patently unreal, which then immediately segued to birth, I think that would have been more vivid and symbolic...

Or am I being really dumb here? Did the kid / adult push the red button and it was a time machine and it took him back to his birth. Sorry if I'm not getting it.

On a separate note, I felt that the whole challenge / obstacle of 'I can't open it' was solved too quickly. I felt it it was something the character had to struggle with a little longer, then the payoff would have been better. As it was, it was 'I can't open it' Literally next sentence, he works out and it all comes naturally (shades of Trinity in the Matrix downloading a helicopter manual).

My personal feeling was that the most emotionally poignant part of the tale was the loss / sacrifice of a twin to (presumably) save a healthy child. I found the idea of that premise actually quite emotional, but perhaps this aspect was a little underdone.

I haven't done many of these critiques (just posted my own today for dissection, so am trying to give back), so sorry if I'm taking this too far. But I was definitely interested. Happy to have you clarify anything I got wrong.

Tbh, I was overtired and on autopilot when writing it, and feel a little embarrassed about how tenuous and problematic it is. I was really just preoccupied with the trope of the big red button and how it often gets pressed even against common sense. I'll explain it as best as I can.

It starts in the near future (the present for all intents and purposes). The heroine hears a voice in her head that goes unexplained until the end. The source of the voice convinces her to find the titular button for a reason I never really worked out. Once this button is pressed, her consciousness is transported back in time to her infant body. She has a parasitic twin that can communicate with her; though it mostly gets removed, this is the source of the voice. The baby is born, and the heroine's consciousness slowly fades. However, the twin is still functioning on a telepathic level. The uncle is there for whatever reason, wearing a suit with red buttons (obviously not the kind that's pressed), kicking off the residual parasitic twin's obsession with red buttons of any kind. The uncle is the real villain here, for no reason I can think of; he wore the suit to kick off the twin's obsession, and there is a timeloop.

It might've worked had I better explored the characters and explained more competently the situation. No need to apologize for your criticism or misunderstandings; I hardly understand it myself. I do appreciate it. :)

I am planning to reboot it with necessary changes.

Last edited:
Tbh, I was overtired and on autopilot when writing it, and feel a little embarrassed about how tenuous and problematic it is. I was really just preoccupied with the trope of the big red button and how it often gets pressed even against common sense. I'll explain it as best as I can.

It starts in the near future (the present for all intents and purposes). The heroine hears a voice in her head that goes unexplained until the end. The source of the voice convinces her to find the titular button for a reason I never really worked out. Once this button is pressed, her consciousness is transported back in time to her infant body. She has a parasitic twin that can communicate with her; though it mostly gets removed, this is the source of the voice. The baby is born, and the heroine's consciousness slowly fades. However, the twin is still functioning on a telepathic level. The uncle is there for whatever reason, wearing a suit with red buttons (obviously not the kind that's pressed), kicking off the residual parasitic twin's obsession with red buttons of any kind. The uncle is the real villain here, for no reason I can think of; he wore the suit to kick off the twin's obsession, and there is a timeloop.

It might've worked had I better explored the characters and explained more competently the situation. No need to apologize for your criticism or misunderstandings; I hardly understand it myself. I do appreciate it. :)

I am planning to reboot it with necessary changes.
Thanks @Guttersnipe. I am often in these places myself. I find myself writing then rewriting the same piece over and over and its only when I've actually sat and thought it through with almost a venn diagram that it actually makes sense. These things just take their sweet time to gestate.

There is definite potential for a Doctor Who-esque paradox, perhaps where the main character grows up obsessing about red buttons and eventually makes a time machine with a red button that... Well, I didn't really think much beyond that, but... Anyway, happy to read any redrafts! :giggle:

I feel there is a core of a good horror story in there. Something like Polanski's "The Tenant" (don't know why it reminded me of this). But the execution is missing.

I would suggest the following:

There is no uncle. There is something distinctive, say like brown eyes. The protagonist is set off by brown eyes. All her life she's been dogged by this. It drives her life, like she's the founder and CEO of a company that uses gene therapy to change people's eye color. She's funding a dictator's take over of the country in return for forcing people to make their brown eyes blue (sorry couldn't resist). So they have these camps, and she oversees the camps, where they do this therapy. One day she runs into a "patient". She is struck by the patient. She starts to talk to the patient. He looks more and more familiar. Then she looks into his brown eyes, even though she has this strong aversion to it. And then the thing with the clocks happen, and she remembers this thing, and it's a brown eyed doctor who did the procedure of removing the twin.

I feel there is a core of a good horror story in there. Something like Polanski's "The Tenant" (don't know why it reminded me of this). But the execution is missing.

I would suggest the following:

There is no uncle. There is something distinctive, say like brown eyes. The protagonist is set off by brown eyes. All her life she's been dogged by this. It drives her life, like she's the founder and CEO of a company that uses gene therapy to change people's eye color. She's funding a dictator's take over of the country in return for forcing people to make their brown eyes blue (sorry couldn't resist). So they have these camps, and she oversees the camps, where they do this therapy. One day she runs into a "patient". She is struck by the patient. She starts to talk to the patient. He looks more and more familiar. Then she looks into his brown eyes, even though she has this strong aversion to it. And then the thing with the clocks happen, and she remembers this thing, and it's a brown eyed doctor who did the procedure of removing the twin.

That's actually a really good story, but it's not mine. I have decided to remove the uncle, though, or replace him with the father. I do appreciate the advice.

A tiny thing, but to me it would really make a difference-Instead of the story opening with exposition, have it open with the voice screaming BIG RED BUTTON. You have the voice do so later. If it was in the beginning it would be a dramatic way to both begin the story and introduce us to her struggle.

I like the concept a lot, you just need to polish the ending a little.

If you mean the limit for Critiques, it's 1500 words per thread. So if say someone posted Ch 1 of 800 words, he could add up to 700 words of Ch 2 in the same thread -- or he could start a new thread with up to 1500 words of Ch 2. But if someone puts up 800 of a scene, then revises that scene and it's now 1000 words, he can put it all up on the same thread, since it's a revision of the original -- or again, he can start a new thread and put the 1000 words there.

Here, it you're revising this and it's markedly different from the original, with a new plot and characters, I'd suggest you start a new thread as it's no longer a revision but something new. And again, the limit for a new thread is 1500 words. (But if you really wanted you could post the new version here as long as the original and the new version together amount to under 1500 words.)

That help?

EDIT: I see I was too slow and you've already posted a new thread! For anyone who hasn't seen it yet it's here "The Big Red Button" 2.0 (pt. 1)

Last edited:
If you mean the limit for Critiques, it's 1500 words per thread. So if say someone posted Ch 1 of 800 words, he could add up to 700 words of Ch 2 in the same thread -- or he could start a new thread with up to 1500 words of Ch 2. But if someone puts up 800 of a scene, then revises that scene and it's now 1000 words, he can put it all up on the same thread, since it's a revision of the original -- or again, he can start a new thread and put the 1000 words there.

Here, it you're revising this and it's markedly different from the original, with a new plot and characters, I'd suggest you start a new thread as it's no longer a revision but something new. And again, the limit for a new thread is 1500 words. (But if you really wanted you could post the new version here as long as the original and the new version together amount to under 1500 words.)

That help?

Yes, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.