Sci-fi/fantasy about psychiatric patient who lives in alternative universe

fabrice4

Hi

Sci-fi/fantasy about psychiatric patient who lives in alternative universe where he is some kind of warrior ... captured and big lies eating him like in Prometeus myth

Read in mid 80's

thanks

Thanks

But it is not it, date is too late by a year or so, read it on a cheap second hand print, the plot too is different

It is about a psy ward patient with a "partial personality" who happens to live on another planet/dimension during seizures or dreams

Not a book, and not a warrior in the otherverse, but there was an episode of StarGate that had such a patient. And didn't the 4th Indiana Jones movie have a patient who was half-way there?

Hi,

It's a bit out of left field but - The Lathe of Heaven, Le Guin. He changes reality with his dreams and some of those dreams involve wars and George having to fight.

Cheers, Greg.

The Bridge by Iain Banks (published 1986) ? Has three characters that are inter-related sort-of in the way. One of them is 'the Barbarian'.

How about a long shot....

The main character is a young woman in a psychiatric hospital who retreats into a different world and language.

"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" by Joanne Greenberg?

and here's some comments:

I thought this was an unusually insightful book, based on real-life experience.

The psychiatrist in it, Freda Fromm-Reichmann, was by all accounts in real life a remarkable individual .

Last edited:
Could be 1903 novel by author John Antoine Nau, Enemy Force (Force Ennemie) republished in 2010. It won the French Goncourt prize in 1903.
Was probably adapted to become the 2018 Legion netfix series because the plot is almost identical.
It's about a man in a psychiatric ward possessed by an alien force...

Last edited:
Was probably adapted to become the 2018 Legion netfix series because the plot is almost identical.

The "Legion" Netflix series was based on the Legion character from the Marvel comics universe, the "X-Men" and "New Mutants" comic book series. The comic or the show could have been influenced by the book you suggest, but the direct line is from the comic books.

The Bridge by Iain Banks (published 1986) ? Has three characters that are inter-related sort-of in the way. One of them is 'the Barbarian'.

thanks but no

I read it then on a cheap second hand paperback, translated in another language ... all this in a few month seems impossible

the plot was not this

maybe my novel was just some third class pulp crap nobody never heard of

Could be 1903 novel by author John Antoine Nau, Enemy Force (Force Ennemie) republished in 2010. It won the French Goncourt prize in 1903.

Was he also "living" on another planet?

I remember he had a "partial personality"

How about a long shot....

The main character is a young woman in a psychiatric hospital who retreats into a different world and language.

"I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" by Joanne Greenberg?

and here's some comments:

I thought this was an unusually insightful book, based on real-life experience.

The psychiatrist in it, Freda Fromm-Reichmann, was by all accounts in real life a remarkable individual .

thanks

It was a man who became some kind of Conan, Den in another dimension/planet when he was not "here"