Big Butterfly Count Started Today

Montero

Supporter
The UK Big Butterfly Count started today

They are interested in certain key species. You stand and count all the butterflies you see for 15 minutes, when the sun is out. Then record and report. Don't have to do it every day. Can do it in your garden.

I usually do this. Volunteered for the BC for two years doing species recording in two different woodlands, which was cool.

I've taken part in this for several years too. It is very easy to do, and you get feedback from the results later in the year.

I actually used to record Butterflies and Moths from childhood for the The NERC Institute of Terrestrial Ecology after hearing a request on Tomorrow's World in the 1970's for amateur recorders. I had to mail in my sightings on punched cards. So, I'm not an expert, but I can identify the most common UK species.

One exciting thing I first saw last year, but which they don't record, is the Jersey Tiger moth. I just saw one in the garden again today. I expect their distribution moving north is a sign of the increasing temperatures.

I've been butterflying today but not for the count. Went species-specific hunting. And got what I was after. The purple hairstreak. :D

DSC04662.JPG