Most popular fantasy novels - how many have you read?

Eight only. I've read Feist's Magician, but that one appears to be a sequel? Can't count Grimm's cos who reads a whole book of fairy tales all the way through? Same with Silmarillion, began but got really bored with it. Absolutely insane there are no Pratchett, Alan Dean Foster, and only one Anne Rice (surely the Vampire Chronicles, while Horror yes, qualify also as Fantasy?) One Robert Jordan, no Gene Wolfe, no blarking Moorcock! I mean, come on!

I'm with Victoria (I wish!) - more into the older stuff I used to read afore the eyes began to give out. Half of these I have never heard of. Oh seriously? No Eddings? Are you blarking kidding me?? Who writes these lists, really?

Oh and I can confirm, for those who are unaware, that King does write fantasy stories (The Gunslinger/Dark Tower/something or other series).
I am about to read Sandman, so there's that, but again: no Donaldson, no Gardner or Morressey (yes they're comic fantasy but still), no Nancy Springer, no Piers Anthony, no... ah, I could go on and on and on but it's time for some warm miilk and bed. New upstarts.. mutter... fantasy not how I remember it... grumble... kids these dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
@Trollheart There's a couple of Pratchett - the first Discworld book is on there, and the Pratchett/Gaiman collaboration "Good Omens". Also, Feist's "Magician" was later split into 2 books (Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master) so you've read the one on the list if you've read "Magician".

I have the feeling that, generally speaking, people are more (or more easily) into Fantasy than in (hard) SF. When it comes to SF it is apparently more difficult to suspend disbelief. Which may have to do with the kind of bias I encounter much, that is that "SF are stories about aliens and that is just silly."
SF is more likely to be mainly read by SF-lovers, while Fantasy has a far wider audience - of which the largest group is either fairly young or new to the genre. They don't know the Fantasy 'classics'. And I suspect that many of the Harry Potter fans never have read or will read other Fantasy works.
This would explain the differences we see between the SF and Fantasy Top-100 lists.

I think people get scared off sci-fi due to the fear of "techno-babble" and the idea that they need to understand science in order to enjoy the book. Even though at a functional story level sci-fi and fantasy are about the same in babble. You just get magic-babble instead of techno-babble.

12. Since I tend to avoid series, many of these are books I'm unlikely to get to.

Randy M.

I surprised myself with 21.
What did they do? Hide and then jump out at you? ;)
@Trollheart There's a couple of Pratchett - the first Discworld book is on there, and the Pratchett/Gaiman collaboration "Good Omens". Also, Feist's "Magician" was later split into 2 books (Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master) so you've read the one on the list if you've read "Magician".
Yes you're right on Pratchett. I even included TCOM in my list of ones read. Serious shortfall on what I would consider essential fantasy even so. No Chalker, no Bradley, no Saberhagen, no Wagner....

If Magician is included then that makes 9. Thanks.

Difficult to accept that this says "most popular," includes children's lit like Narnia, but does NOT have Harry Potter. Doesn't make much sense to me. As others noted, there's no Gemmell, no Poul Anderson, no Howard, no Cook

You're right it doesn't make any sense to include Narnia but not Harry Potter (would be #1 on the list) or His Dark Materials (would be in the top 10).

Strange list in that there's at least two comic series - Monstress and Nimonia in the list as well. Great comics (Monstress is fantastic) but not really what I'd class as "fantasy 'books'"

Sandman is on there as well.

53, like others I find it a rather strange list, a lot of non genre.
Why are there no David Gemmell and David Eddings on list?
Gemmell, is a staple of most fantasy readers.
Eddings although his books are fluffy and repetitive, most people have fond memories of Pawn of Prophecy.
Also Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun is missing. :unsure:

Eddings being missing is clearly a mistake, Pawn of Prophecy has 90000+ ratings which would put it in the middle of their list.

It looks like Gemmel's book with the most ratings is Legend with 26000 ratings which just falls short of inclusion.

Fifteen I have read. I am very surprised there was no Stephen Erickson Malazan books, no Mistborn, and (what?) a Goodreads list without a Harry Potter book. These are arguably some of the very most popular fantasy books of this century. Yes, strange list.

Back