The soundtrack to your writing...

I have a number of playlists on YouTube with music that I use for writing.

Two Epic Steps -- featuring music from Two Steps From Hell and similar groups
Zimmer and Jablonsky -- with soundtracks from Hans Zimmer and Steve Jablonsky
Amethystium -- with music from Amethystium, Mythos, and David Arkenstone
Battle Music -- with music I play as I write battle sequences
Dragon Music -- music to accompany my Dragon stories
Rehatching Climax -- music to accompany the epic climax of my last novel
Final Frontier Novel -- unofficial soundtrack that I'm compiling for my current project

Also on Youtube, I often listen to independents like Ivan Torrent, Mortifer, Peter Crowley, BrunuhVille, R. Armando Morabito.

I also have a large CD collection that I still sometimes listen to when I write. Mostly instrumental soundtracks (ex: Christopher Franke's Babylon 5, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, John Williams, Howard Shore) and New Age (ex: Christopher Franke, Secret Garden, Amethystium, Vangelis).

I'll have to look up your playlists on YouTube, F.J. I've got some Zimmer, Arkenstone, the superb work of CF on Babylon 5 and also lashings of Horner, Goldsmith and Shore. But I have found generally they are still too 'in-your-face' and that I prefer more ambient pieces to work to.

That's why I've also got virtually every soundtrack ever done by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. I find their minimalist, electronic drones to be very helpful to write to.

To each his (or her) own. I love that grandiose, dramatic music. At appropriate times, of course. The mood of the scene I'm working on often influences what I end up putting on. I've been considering making playlists for specific moods.

To each his (or her) own. I love that grandiose, dramatic music. At appropriate times, of course. The mood of the scene I'm working on often influences what I end up putting on. I've been considering making playlists for specific moods.
Well, let me know if I can help with any links. Have a listen to some of the tracks I posted and their "mood colour". I've got hours of music for all most all the moods I've listed.

Hmm, depends on what I am writing... Often it is Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Led Zeppelin, Minor Threat, The Pogues (Currently), The Doors, Jim Morrisons Poetry, Television ... It is a long list really, normally I just get Alexa to play one band