TNPRRP: The New Perry Rhodan Reading Project

Don

NSU Professor Kent G Hare used to blog Perry Rhodan reviews under the moniker of The Perry Rhodan Reading Project. Hare's project ended with "Nr. 26 Duell der Mutanten" / "#19 Mutants vs. Mutants."

TNPRRP: The New Perry Rhodan Reading Project carries on from that point. This thread serves as a placeholder where announcements of new reviews will be posted.

Ten earth years have passed since the crew led by US Space Force Major Perry Rhodan made the first lunar landing in history. Near the moon's north pole, a few dozen kilometers into the dark side, the crew discovered a stranded alien Arkonide vessel with technology centuries ahead of earth's. They also discovered the Milky Way teems with intelligent, space faring, and at times openly hostile, life.

Human mutants appear on earth as an unintended consquence of atomic research. Many are now in league with Rhodan's Third Power. But one mutant named Monterny, who can hypnotise people on sight, bitterly resents Rhodan. Monterny uses his unparalleled mental power to enthrall over a dozen other mutants, including a bicephalous natural born bomb maker. Monterny intends to smash the Third Power and become world dictator.

TNPRRP: Im Banne des Hypno / The Thrall of Hypno

I think I gave up on Perry Rhodan after 30 or 40 books. I do have Thrall of Hypno. I think I bought it because I liked the title so much.

Used, relatively cheap, copies of the first 99 Moewigs and a nearly complete Ace collection were purchased by me separately at ebay.de and ebay.com a couple of years ago. They sort of have me hooked at this point.

When earth's first lunar rocket discovered alien Arkonide technology on the moon it opened up a whole new vista for humanity. Under the aegis of the Third Power, humans made great strides towards the stars during the past ten earth years. Many threats, from both inside the solar system as well as outside, were overcome as mankind's reach grew.

Prior to his demise in the solar system's asteroid belt, desperate mutant master Monterny sent an SOS to the stars. Suspicious radio communications now originate on earth and point to a new outside threat beyond Pluto. Three small earth ships have disappeared. Perry Rhodan suspects an alien spy network on earth and has a homing device implanted on an unsuspecting space cadet who is sent out with his class mates to lure the enemy into the open.

TNPRRP: Nr. 28 Der kosmische Lockvogel / #21 The Cosmic Decoy

"By the Lord of All Stars, it's an Arkonide ship!"
When earth's first lunar rocket discovered alien Arkonide technology on the moon it opened up a whole new vista for humanity. Under the aegis of the Third Power, humans made great strides towards the stars during the past ten earth years. Many threats, from both inside the solar system, as well as outside, were overcome as mankind's reach grew.
Prior to mutant hypno-master Monterny's demise in the solar system's asteroid belt, he sent a desperate, undirected SOS to the stars at-large. It alerted alien Springer eavesdroppers to the exact location of upstart Terraneans, who unwittingly interloped on the Springers' ancient galactic trade monopoly. Some Springers used the intercepted coordinates to stealthily commandeer a few Third Power ships and gather intelligence about Earth. In return, Perry Rhodan sent space cadet Julian Tifflor out to trans-Pluto as a decoy, in order to smoke out the alien appropriators and their spy network on Earth.
Convinced of Tifflor's value, greedy Springer Captain Orlgans of the Orla XI hijacks the Third Power's K-9 ultralight cruiser with Tifflor onboard. The aliens never expected the likes of a Rhodan's Stardust II to intervene.

My library in Maple Heights had a huge collection of them in the early Seventies.
My clearest memory is someone writing in to ask about the "mind beavers" when that rodent character wasn't even in the scene. It was a typo for "mind beamers".