What do you call them ?

Cheesy bobs (when we were kids, not that I ever tasted one)
or plain old wood lice as an adult
I think daddy long legs spiders just call them 'lunch' to judge from the piles of remains I find in dark corners of my victorian cottage :(.

ps when I was young they would roll up into a ball but they don't seem to these days, maybe a different species now?

I think daddy long legs spiders just call them 'lunch' to judge from the piles of remains I find in dark corners of my victorian cottage :(.

ps when I was young they would roll up into a ball but they don't seem to these days, maybe a different species now?
They are different species. The "pill bug" woodlice that roll up look like short millipedes. The flatter woodlice (the large ones are called sow bugs), can't roll up. There are several different species of woodlice in Britain, they come in different sizes and colours (or no colour) and live in different habitats and regions, which might explain why you never see the rolling-up kind any more.
BTW I don't believe daddy long legs spiders (cellar spiders) can eat woodlice, you may be host to woodlouse spiders, horrible looking yellowy buggers with enormous red teeth (chelicerae) with which to pierce the armour of their prey!

They are different species. The "pill bug" woodlice that roll up look like short millipedes. The flatter woodlice (the large ones are called sow bugs), can't roll up. There are several different species of woodlice in Britain, they come in different sizes and colours (or no colour) and live in different habitats and regions, which might explain why you never see the rolling-up kind any more.
BTW I don't believe daddy long legs spiders (cellar spiders) can eat woodlice, you may be host to woodlouse spiders, horrible looking yellowy buggers with enormous red teeth (chelicerae) with which to pierce the armour of their prey!

Off the cuff, I believe Daddy Long Legs spiders just eat Aphids...oh, and find your cows, that one is a fact :whistle:

Grab one up by a hind leg and demand, "Daddy Long Legs, where are my Cows." It will point with its front leg in their direction, and if it doesn't point, it's because you don't have any ;)

K2

Grab one up by a hind leg and demand, "Daddy Long Legs, where are my Cows." It will point with its front leg in their direction, and if it doesn't point, it's because you don't have any ;)
K2

Or it flies off toward your cows leaving one leg behind in your fingers...:eek:

Right lets get this one straightened out - "daddy long legs" are not spiders they are crane flies!

I don't know about them having a built in cow-compass though...
They don't eat anything, either - adult craneflies have no mouthparts, and live about 10 days if they're lucky.

Right lets get this one straightened out - "daddy long legs" are not spiders they are crane flies!

Negatory good buddy...

Daddy Long Legs (U.S. accepted version, though there are many others called the same):

Harvestmen_Close_Macro.jpg

Crane Fly:

1200px-Tipulidae_April_2008-2.jpg

K2

Boringly I call them wood lice.
I call them woodlice
Wood lice.
Woodlice here too.
Ditto

I don't know about them having a built in cow-compass though...
"Daddy long legs spider" has become a common name for pholcids, which are common house spiders in Britain. Proper daddy longlegs are, I agree, crane flies (tipulids), we used to get huge swarms of them resting on shady walls in late summer. Much less common now, maybe why the name has jumped species?

Crane flys (which I have a proper phobia of... which I think there's no name for?) I used to call flying daddy long legs. Daddy long legs are just the spindly spiders that hang around in houses and eat house spiders. The pic K2's posted is a harvestman, and not a spider.

Two things I don't understand about woodlouse names.
First, why pigs? The only thing that comes to mind is that their sticking-out legs might look a bit like piglets at suck.
Second, why cheese? I've seen it written that they smell of cheese - I have never been able to detect this odour, and I've sniffed a few woodlice in my time, I can tell you.

Here, in Shropshire, they roll up into a ball as AP says. Back in Manchester, they didn't.

BTW they're, obviously, called woodlice.

I've never heard them called anything other than woodlice. The other names are all new to me, and reading them makes me feel I've slipped into a parallel universe or that everyone is having a joke that's only on me.