Warrior Nun

I watched the whole thing Thursday. I mostly enjoyed it. It's no deep or heady show but it's fun and has a few decent twists. a few good quotes. "I'm just a weird, formerly dead orphan."

I like the main character. Some combination of the actress and the character she's playing reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence.

Anyone else watching this?

Yes darling. I just found out about it, in my Netflix. It is real dark urban fantasy and it really appeals to me. But then again we already knew that I'm into these sort of series. Even my first writing reflect this reality. I'm just fifteen minutes into the first episode and I already want to write about it.

To those who are unsure about this series, it deals with Heaven and Hell, with Angels and Demons, with Deed and the Living. The main cast is mostly females, with some male supporters. And so far what I've seen it's not totally feminist.

I don't personally see this as coming-of-age story, even if the cast is mostly young adults. There are strong Catholic vibes as you'd except from the cast portraying warrior nuns. We know that they only exist in the realms of Dark Fantasy. Our own history doesn't have them. And even though you could argue that Saint Joan of Arc was one, I don't see it that way.

What intrigues me is that this deals with necromorphosis and spirits, just as I did in my trilogy.

Have seen 4 episodes now and like it so far. A bit too soon to judge, but engaging enough to keep watching.
Like the plot, not keen on the MC, yet. Four episodes in, and the writers haven't really given her a chance to shine...
She isn't doing so bad, I think.
The problem here is, I think, that the writers decided to have her express her thoughts via voice-over. This diminish the need to express emotions by actual acting.

I'm watching this too based upon these comments here. I thought the first episode wouldn't have made it as a pilot. I guess it didn't need to as it was already given a series. The second episode was better and I'm now hooked. Ava is very much in the reluctant hero mould.

Like the plot, not keen on the MC, yet. Four episodes in, and the writers haven't really given her a chance to shine...

Well, I was wrong in my initial assessment. There's more YA than I like. Also no dead. Still, I'm going to finish the season.

I'm not sure it was aimed at YA (although the definition of that term is one of those arguments) but yes, it was aimed at a younger audience than me, with the beautiful bodies, music and pop culture. There was also the romance angle, but odd that JC just completely disappeared. I hadn't thought about the lack of people dying. Considering the sheer amount of knife and sword stabbings, together with people actually being taken to Hell, you would expect at least one death other than Shannon.

Simon Barry was also behind Continuum, and I see some similarities, and a reason I watched, though I liked that much better. I'm not a big superhero fan, even superhero nuns!

I have a problem with the Jillian Salvius plot. First, the corporate head who is doing it all for their child is becoming a trope. DEVS or (was it Deus) had the same plot with a dead daughter. What does her company actually make (other than grand press statements)? How are the shareholders going to get their dividends if there is no actual product, but millions being spent on all this hi-tech? I'd be interested to see her business plan.

Secondly, the Stargate... I mean the gate, will obviously open up a portal to Hell, when it finally works. Everyone can see that. She is an intelligent woman, how does she not see that? I say Stargate as a joke, but that very early scene when they uncover the shield at a dig in ancient ruins could have been lifted straight out of Stargate.

Then, when you also add that many of the characters are cardboard cutouts, taken straight off the shelf of some superhero series character library, and I do think the show was a bit derivative.

Anyway, I did watch it to the end and what an ending! I didn't expect them not to find the bones of Adriel under the Vatican. There was quite a turnaround in that episode, and there is a huge cliffhanger left. I must say that I never saw the Father Vincent thing coming. Maybe if they had made this series six episodes long and cut out all the teenage angst then it would have been ten times better.

I'm not sure it was aimed at YA (although the definition of that term is one of those arguments) but yes, it was aimed at a younger audience than me, with the beautiful bodies, music and pop culture. There was also the romance angle, but odd that JC just completely disappeared. I hadn't thought about the lack of people dying. Considering the sheer amount of knife and sword stabbings, together with people actually being taken to Hell, you would expect at least one death other than Shannon.

Simon Barry was also behind Continuum, and I see some similarities, and a reason I watched, though I liked that much better. I'm not a big superhero fan, even superhero nuns!

I have a problem with the Jillian Salvius plot. First, the corporate head who is doing it all for their child is becoming a trope. DEVS or (was it Deus) had the same plot with a dead daughter. What does her company actually make (other than grand press statements)? How are the shareholders going to get their dividends if there is no actual product, but millions being spent on all this hi-tech? I'd be interested to see her business plan.

Secondly, the Stargate... I mean the gate, will obviously open up a portal to Hell, when it finally works. Everyone can see that. She is an intelligent woman, how does she not see that? I say Stargate as a joke, but that very early scene when they uncover the shield at a dig in ancient ruins could have been lifted straight out of Stargate.

Then, when you also add that many of the characters are cardboard cutouts, taken straight off the shelf of some superhero series character library, and I do think the show was a bit derivative.

Anyway, I did watch it to the end and what an ending! I didn't expect them not to find the bones of Adriel under the Vatican. There was quite a turnaround in that episode, and there is a huge cliffhanger left. I must say that I never saw the Father Vincent thing coming. Maybe if they had made this series six episodes long and cut out all the teenage angst then it would have been ten times better.
There was a lot irrelevant stuff that leaving out would have made the show better. It was watchable, not brilliant.
That cliffhanger was a shock.
Father Vincent took me by surprise. Lillith I think isn't the possessed demon I initially thought, my theory is the law enforcement on the other side gave her a reprieve to return to our dimension to retrieve the halo and Adriel.
Think it would have been better to cut out the tech company and have it around opposing factions within the church.

Reactions: ctg
I think the teenage stuff should be excused, partly. It would not have seemed very likely if Ava, aged 18, had gone from one straight jacket (lying paralyzed in an orphanage run by nuns) to the next straight jacket (a strictly run order of warrior nuns) without resistance or rebellion. The part with JC was overdone and best cut short, which the writers realized themselves anyway, at the end of episode 5.
It is unclear to me what Lilith's role is, if it is Lilith and not something else with Lilith's shape. But I got the impression that she was not after the halo but there to prevent Ava from getting into Adriel's tomb.
When Adriel showed Ava how Areala had received the halo, we first saw Adriel being chased by a tarask. My impression is that Adriel stole the halo, which would imply that he is not from the same place the tarask and returned Lilith are. But than again, can you trust what Adriel told and/or showed Ava?
The gate and everything around it did not make much sense to me. And I wouldn't for the world let my child walk through whatever gate without knowing where it led to. (but I don't have kids, terminally ill or otherwise, so what do I know.)
The last episode and the cliffhanger did redeem any faults that preceded it.

Reactions: ctg
It is unclear to me what Lilith's role is, if it is Lilith and not something else with Lilith's shape.

Antagonist. Not the main one, but from within the order. Somebody had to challenge Ava because she would not have slotted in the hierarchy. But the problem with Lilith is that she is supposed to be posh, but she ain't. Instead she's a wooden character with a singular mindset. Yet, all the girls manages to surprise me... in a good way. When I think that I have it figure, they do something unexpected and they aren't afraid of using harsh language.

In fact, some of the dialogue is forced, but a lot of it flows nicely and isn't just exposition. And while some people are put off by Ava's inner thoughts, I thought they are well done and fit the picture very nicely. Frankly it is a refreshing change.

Antagonist. Not the main one, but from within the order. Somebody had to challenge Ava because she would not have slotted in the hierarchy. But the problem with Lilith is that she is supposed to be posh, but she ain't. Instead she's a wooden character with a singular mindset.
Yes, I agree. But that's the Lilith before she got killed. What about the returned Lilith?

I see it as another dimension, some of the creatures from that realm look to us as demons. My theory is the demons are the law enforcers. When they come through to earth to retrieve the halo they're attacked. Lillith was likely seen as an opportunity to retrieve it without drawing to much attention. Mortally injured, they've patched her up and sent her back with instructions to get the halo. She has been given subconscious commands, she did say Adriel was nothing but a thief. Earth's atmosphere likely gives the dimension dwellers super powers.

What about the returned Lilith?

I have not seen it yet, and I look forward to it.

I see it as another dimension, some of the creatures from that realm look to us as demons. My theory is the demons are the law enforcers

I like this idea. It is a good one, but it also opens up the multiverse. Not just celestial realms. Do we want to go there?