(Found) Female veterinarian (student?) unexpected summer posting/internship in fantasy world 80's paperback English

Marnie

Sadly, this is most of what I remember.

The veterinarian student is given a posting/ internship with not much information forthcoming other than where to go. There is a gate maybe? She goes to this fantastical land where all kinds of creatures need care. It feels kind of like a old fashioned country doctor situation. I think she is exhausted trying to balance working there and school. I think there might be a book 2 and/or 3 where she brings a number of student interns?

I think there are books there written by former veterinarians who worked there and that it has maybe been a long time since they've had anyone. I don't remember romance elements. I don't think most of the creatures there can talk though there are some people who do, I think.

You are my new favorite person. I knew that was it as soon as I read your post. In checking my library, I have the third book but not the first two. No idea why. Thank you so much!

Was it a fantasy/alternate world, or just a patch of Earth with some alien animals that need healing? If the latter, there were several stories in Analog magazine about 15 years ago about such a place, and the ol' country veterinarian tasked with caring for them.

Back