Discussion Thread -- JULY 2020 -- 300-Worder Writing Challenge (#38)

The way I read it--and know this is just my take, so I may be wrong--is that they prefer that you do NOT rank, rate, or critique (point out aspects you don't like or would change, no matter how justified or well intended) entries in this thread, before voting is over. The reason is, your opinions might influence other peoples voting. After voting, then you're free to make note of favorites, rank, and so on with positive remarks. So, to not show preference, if you review one, review all in a positive fashion.

After it is all said and done, IF someone wishes their work critiqued, they will ask in the 'Improving Writing' thread.

Rules regarding reviews and ranking may be found here: Rules for the Writing Challenges

K2
And the good part of this is, with the quality of work produced here, I've found there is always something positive to say about it (at least until I make my post...). I mean no one has posted the movie version of Cats on here yet...

Wow, a simultaneous double quote!
Which is surprising, considering the amount of cat avatar photos. That's by no means a complaint. Cats are one the most adorable entities in existence.
Often! But one of mine recently killed a baby bunny and left remains where my kids could find it, so she is considered somewhat less cute and somewhat more murderous sociopath by them at the moment...

That said... the Cats movie was truly horrifying...

Don't tempt me.
*ducks back behind table*

It's absolutely against the rules to make negative comments about the Challenge entries, except in the "Improving" thread, where the author of a piece asks for criticism, after all the voting is over. This is the official position. Rating them could look very much like criticism, especially if a rating is low. Please do not do this. It is very much against the spirit of the Challenges, and would in any case be immediately removed as soon as a member of the Staff comes across the post in which it occurs. And there are rather a lot of us, so such a post is likely to be noticed rather quickly and not last long in any case.

(I should note that just meeting the challenge and writing a story to theme and genre within the word count makes all entries winners and deserving of praise. The voting is just for fun.)

Again, understood and pretty much expected anyway.

Disclaimer: some of these stories went a little over my head. THAT IS NOT THE AUTHOR'S FAULT, IT'S MINE. If I say I didn't understand or get your story, don't take that as criticism. The operative, single-letter word in that is "I". Just because I didn't get doesn't mean others won't. This is in all likelihood a failing with my ability to comprehend your vision, and I only mention it because it means I wasn't able to properly comment on the story in question.

That said, here are my thoughts:

White as Snow, Red as Blood:

Absolutely love the imagery in this one. A real sense of the surroundings matching the narrator's mood, and as Victoria correctly said, a juxtaposition of the very small with the very large. Very moving, and I love the final line. I get the feeling the guy has given up and is walking till his oxygen runs out, committing sad suicide?

The Last Day

What I love about this is how much information the writer seemingly effortlessly weaves (not crams) into the story, as if 300 words is not a limit he is concerned about (it certainly was with mine). There's a beautiful sense of surrender and inevitability, like holding the hand of an old friend while they breathe their last. No panic, no anger, no regrets, no blame. Just acceptance. Truly beautiful.

Tragedy: Uncut

An almost Philip K Dick idea here (hopefully no offence taken; I don't mean to say any plagiarism is involved, just influence) with a clever little story which really does bring home the old adage “misery loves company”.

Expiration Date

An interesting idea. I don't think I'd want one of those messages flashing over my head! Have to be honest, didn't exactly get the story – evidently the girl dies at the end but I'm not quite sure if we're talking about a warning of being out of control and taking advice blindly, or if this was some government-mandated “use by” thing? Clever though, and well written.

Next

I'm afraid I didn't quite understand this one either. Some sort of dimensional gateway? The imagery was good and the dialogue successfully gave the impression of two people tired from walking, finally on the cusp of something, perhaps something great.

Like Diamonds in the Sky

A beautiful, simple love story very much updated for the space age. How many of us would want to be in Markon's shoes, to be able to do that for our lover? Clever, witty, romantic as hell. I love the idea of the girl frowning and rolling her eyes (assuming she has eyes!) and thinking why is he bringing me to this dump, and then her mood changing in a heartbeat. Stunning.

Lights Out

I'm afraid this is another I didn't understand. A kind of galactic nature documentary? Well described certainly; the idea of being sort of drawn into a different world, perhaps a hidden one, works very well.

Emergence

Interesting story, very well written and has a real sense of striving and suspense about it. Similar perhaps to some of the work of Philip Jose Farmer or Tanith Lee.

Whispers on Boot Hill

Always like a bit of Western with some fantasy thrown in. Love the dialogue, interesting ending. Well researched I would say. Good effort.

Again, understood and pretty much expected anyway.

Disclaimer: some of these stories went a little over my head. THAT IS NOT THE AUTHOR'S FAULT, IT'S MINE. If I say I didn't understand or get your story, don't take that as criticism. The operative, single-letter word in that is "I". Just because I didn't get doesn't mean others won't. This is in all likelihood a failing with my ability to comprehend your vision, and I only mention it because it means I wasn't able to properly comment on the story in question.

That said, here are my thoughts:

White as Snow, Red as Blood:

Absolutely love the imagery in this one. A real sense of the surroundings matching the narrator's mood, and as Victoria correctly said, a juxtaposition of the very small with the very large. Very moving, and I love the final line. I get the feeling the guy has given up and is walking till his oxygen runs out, committing sad suicide?

The Last Day

What I love about this is how much information the writer seemingly effortlessly weaves (not crams) into the story, as if 300 words is not a limit he is concerned about (it certainly was with mine). There's a beautiful sense of surrender and inevitability, like holding the hand of an old friend while they breathe their last. No panic, no anger, no regrets, no blame. Just acceptance. Truly beautiful.

Tragedy: Uncut

An almost Philip K Dick idea here (hopefully no offence taken; I don't mean to say any plagiarism is involved, just influence) with a clever little story which really does bring home the old adage “misery loves company”.

Expiration Date

An interesting idea. I don't think I'd want one of those messages flashing over my head! Have to be honest, didn't exactly get the story – evidently the girl dies at the end but I'm not quite sure if we're talking about a warning of being out of control and taking advice blindly, or if this was some government-mandated “use by” thing? Clever though, and well written.

Next

I'm afraid I didn't quite understand this one either. Some sort of dimensional gateway? The imagery was good and the dialogue successfully gave the impression of two people tired from walking, finally on the cusp of something, perhaps something great.

Like Diamonds in the Sky

A beautiful, simple love story very much updated for the space age. How many of us would want to be in Markon's shoes, to be able to do that for our lover? Clever, witty, romantic as hell. I love the idea of the girl frowning and rolling her eyes (assuming she has eyes!) and thinking why is he bringing me to this dump, and then her mood changing in a heartbeat. Stunning.

Lights Out

I'm afraid this is another I didn't understand. A kind of galactic nature documentary? Well described certainly; the idea of being sort of drawn into a different world, perhaps a hidden one, works very well.

Emergence

Interesting story, very well written and has a real sense of striving and suspense about it. Similar perhaps to some of the work of Philip Jose Farmer or Tanith Lee.

Whispers on Boot Hill

Always like a bit of Western with some fantasy thrown in. Love the dialogue, interesting ending. Well researched I would say. Good effort.
Thanks so much @Trollheart. It's nice when something just clicks. Honestly, it just poured out of me and was finished inside 30 minutes. It's rarely that fluid.

I'm slowly running out of time to come up with a good idea. Bad ideas? Loads. Good ideas? No, لا, 没有, ingen, nee, non, nein, ના, aʻole, לא, nei, níl, 番号, kore kau, yгүй шүү, não, ਨਹੀਂ, нет, chan eil, maya, hapana, na, cha and nullum.

And for the geeks Qo'! or 01001110 01101111.

7bd50d62bbd96e08ad2b57a7efe0aaa1.jpg

Here's a challenge, how quick can I write a 300 word? Starting... now.

Here's a challenge, how quick can I write a 300 word? Starting... now.

It's twelve minutes already... Slow-poke. :sneaky:

Besides, just because mine reads like I wrote it in three minutes, doesn't mean I did it that way. It took seven...(though I could be lying).

K2

It's twelve minutes already... Slow-poke. :sneaky:

Besides, just because mine reads like I wrote it in three minutes, doesn't mean I did it that way. It took seven...(though I could be lying).

K2
Written two so far. Undecided which one to post. I may go for a third.

Ok, I'm in. Just under two hours. That's annoying. Nowhere neat enough.

In all honesty this was my second attempt. I wrote one this morning concerning a soldier struggling to survive the night so he could see his last sunrise. Not a jolly tale at all.

Last edited:
I got my story up finally. Yay. I'm probably going to miss the 75-word challenge but I'll catch the next one. I hope everybody is staying safe and out of trouble. Enjoy your day.

Elckerlyc: By telling this tale of ancient times from an unusual point of view, the author brings a mythical past out of the mist and into clear view. The twin themes of free will and predetermination emerge vividly in their eternal struggle.

Luiglin: The sardonic tone of this darkly witty fable is well matched to its satiric look at a society obsessed with success at arbitrary challenges. By setting the story in a world of fantastic creatures, the author allows us to see our own in a cracked mirror.

Phyrebrat: The difficult task of narrating in the words of one from an exotic place and time is met with grace and skill in this moody and evocative creation. A setting that no reader could possibly call familiar becomes as real as the everyday world that surrounds us.

Calliopenjo: A sense of mystery fills this deceptively simple account of one returning to a place that has undergone great change. Because we are not privy to all that has happened before the story begins, we remain intrigued throughout.

After overhauling my original story. I gave it a new coat of paint, drove around the race track, then visited a snack bar after posting.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's tale. I can't even imagine what anyone else would come up with.