Best Doctor?

CriticalCarrot

In your opinion who is the best actor to ever portray The Doctor in Doctor Who. In my personal opinion it's David Tenant, not only did he essentially give the series new life which is something that Christopher Eccleston failed to do in my opinion, I also found his episodes the most enjoyable out of the entire series.

some of us have longer memories, i am currently working through the classic episodes on Britbox and am at Jon Pertwee who was my first Doctor, but he was followed by my favourite Tom Baker. There was something not quite human about his portrayal.

Yeah, I am from the generation too; just in time to see Jon Pertwee die and Tom Baker rise. I liked Peter Davison as well, but after that I felt things decline.

it was obvious that people at the BBC wanted it gone but the ratings were too good. Moving it away from Saturday evening to the same time as Coronation Street was not the move of people wanting a programme to succeed. this was the era of one TV in the living room and if mum wanted to watch Coronation Street and the kids wanted to watch Dr Who, well Weatherfield here we come.

Christopher Eccleston - No one else manages damaged by post traumatic stress quite like him.

That mixture of over confidence and fragility...

it was obvious that people at the BBC wanted it gone but the ratings were too good. Moving it away from Saturday evening to the same time as Coronation Street was not the move of people wanting a programme to succeed. this was the era of one TV in the living room and if mum wanted to watch Coronation Street and the kids wanted to watch Dr Who, well Weatherfield here we come.
I don't think kids today quite fathom what the world was like when everyone had to watch a programme at the same time on one small screen. If mum or dad wanted to watch something the kids either watched with them or did something else. Now everyone has a 'screen' in their pockets and binges everything at a time of their own choosing.

some of us have longer memories, i am currently working through the classic episodes on Britbox and am at Jon Pertwee who was my first Doctor, but he was followed by my favourite Tom Baker. There was something not quite human about his portrayal.
Don't get me wrong I love the classic Doctors but there's just something about David that keeps me coming back everytime.

I was generation one, William Hartnell, and aged six when I first saw the Daleks, and yes....me and my 5 year old sister both did the now ridiculed "behind the sofa" dive.
It really was terrifying back in the day!

However it was the second doctor Patrick Troughton who captured the role of the unearthly guy with sometimes a very dispassionate view of humanity.

My favorite Doctor of all it Tom Baker . He was the incarnation of the Doctor that really hooked me on the series. He brought so much energy , drama and comedy to the role, he could be serious and silly at the time , You couldn't help but like him. :cool:(y) I was sad when he quite being the Doctor. :(

For me Tom Baker always stood alone until Peter Capaldi came along and gave him a run for his money. I would love to see Tom Baker in his prime get to grips with modern script writing - though not the PC rubbish they serve up as excuses for Doctor Who episodes in recent times.

Enjoyed David Tennant and Matt Smith too.

Best Master anyone? I do think Sacha Dhawan very capable and he plays an admirably psychotic and damaged Master but Michelle Gomez as Missy was outstanding in my opinion.

I can remember as a small child being terrified by a monster that came through the wall in Dr Who, I didn’t watch it for a few months after that. Thanks to Brit Box I discovered it was the Three Doctors.

I thought David Tenant was the best doctor, that series was a lot darker. The following series weren't as interesting.

The early Doctors were quite fortunate in the fact that they had some of the best writers and directors to work with (particularly in the Baker era) Writer such as Terrance Dicks, Douglas Adams, (the very underrated) Robert Holmes and Terry Nation. They also benefitted from the fact that there were only 3 channels (and earlier on only two!) and the fact that cutting-edge special effects were down to someone's imagination and a maybe some kitchen utensils, rather than mega-computer CGI effects. To make something look and sound good took some effort, and because you couldn't rely on the special effects to pull you through you needed engaging characters and storylines.

Those really were the good-old days, and it was obvious that each Doctor took his role quite seriously, because pretty much the whole of the country was glued to the set for 30 minutes each week.

It all started to crash apart mid-Davison era, and the storylines were pretty poor by the time of McCoy. In hindsight I feel very sorry for Sylvester, as it is clear from interviews that he was desperate to do a good job and was (understandably) gutted when the Doctor came to an end on his watch. But I genuinely believe that if he had been the Doctor in the Hartnell-Tom Baker era he would have been a great success. I have reservations as to whether any of the other doctors post-Davison would have other than Jodie Whitaker; I'm sure Douglas Adams or Robert Holmes would have come up with some terrific stories for her.

I'm in the Tennant camp too, far and away, but I would definitely tip the hat to Jodie. To have the weight of such an icon on her shoulders, people no doubt saying "What? The doctor can't be a GIRL!" and to have captured the madcap essence of the Doctor (any Doctor) at his best, I think she has come very close to making the role her own, and has done a great job in opening up the character of the Doctor from, let's be honest, the "privileged white alpha male" model portrayed by every other Doctor, no matter how we love them.

Edit: had not intended that to be one long sentence! "Punctuation, punctuation! Wherefore art thou, punctuation?" ;)

In your opinion who is the best actor to ever portray The Doctor in Doctor Who. In my personal opinion it's David Tenant, not only did he essentially give the series new life which is something that Christopher Eccleston failed to do in my opinion, I also found his episodes the most enjoyable out of the entire series.
I‘m with you, I think David is the best, he give the character a real soul, a brilliant, sentimental, lonely man. His extra heart was meant to give extra care to the people he loves. I even shed tears when he had to go. I searched every website in our country's limited internet for all the movies and TV series that David played. He is an outstanding actor. But I really dislike Jodiel Whittaker and the new seasons for some reasons.

Tom Baker gets my vote for the best classic Doctor. I never really liked Pertwee, who only gets kept off the bottom slot by Colin Baker.
Sylvester McCoy probably gets most intelligent Doctor in the classic set. But all these impressions are entirely a function of how old I was at the time.

Having rewatched what I could a few years ago, Colin Baker was a lot better than I remember him.

I suppose Tennant wins the newer set, although he did start more or less knowing absolutely everything that happened in time and space, and physics, which became tedious, and the Rose Tyler love affair I found awful, so then it's difficult. Eccleston or Capaldi I think. And I have enjoyed Whittaker a great deal, although I currently have problems getting hold of it, not having access to the BBC or Iplayer.

Valid but I grew up on Tom Baker. I'm not saying David Tenant wasn't amazing though.