☡Secret Shutin Santa Signup 19 ☡ Post Story Requests Here

@Mad Alice : so (now that I got my topic), what's the deadline? Sorry if I missed it. Then do we just PM the story to you? Can we attach files to PMs here?

@Mad Alice : so (now that I got my topic), what's the deadline? Sorry if I missed it. Then do we just PM the story to you? Can we attach files to PMs here?
You can indeed attach files to posts.
Yes you missed it. It's in the boilerplate rules. By the end of the first week of August I will need something.
And as you were the only one that entered you won the dance off and got your story picks.

Yes you missed it. It's in the boilerplate rules. By the end of the first week of August I will need something.
And as you were the only one that entered you won the dance off and got your story picks.
OK. Just checked -- the first post says mid-August, so can we make it that?

That’s not fair! I went to bed, and I’ve only just seen the challenge! On the other hand, I wasn’t going to submit a dance-off clip anyway. Just bung any old rubbish my way, and the person whose suggestion I get can feel duly insulted...

I haven't a clue what is going on.

sorry, if I am being dim but am I or am i not going to be given something to attempt to write about for a specific person?

OK. Just checked -- the first post says mid-August, so can we make it that?
The paragraph is due the week before. (And if you wait it until the very last moment I am afraid I shall have to send out my minion moggie army of cats after you. I warn you now they are to be feared. They steal cheese.)

Quite welcome. I love a good challenge.

Of course, now I'm properly beating my head against a wall trying to figure out what would make someone a fugitive from the Culture and what a fugitive would even look like... and trying to avoid just making someone a fugitive from a hegemonic swarm as I feel that's too easy... But for me, this is the fun!
You well know that the culture deliberately creates a situation where an individual becomes a fugitive of the culture in order to further a goal of the culture. It's so "Mullholland Drive" of them.

That’s not fair! I went to bed, and I’ve only just seen the challenge! On the other hand, I wasn’t going to submit a dance-off clip anyway. Just bung any old rubbish my way, and the person whose suggestion I get can feel duly insulted...
Fair is for carousel ponies. When it's dance or doom, you put on the tap shoes and start scuffing.
Rubbish then it is. Let me dig about in the bins a bit.
Finds an inordinate amount of Heinz tins.
Oh wait you didn't want my recycling, you wanted a story.
Right with you.

Are you all part of the Culture club then?
If by "Culture club" you mean those who think the world would be better if we emulated the Culture, not at all! While I appreciate Ian Bank's writing, the Culture is not the sort of society in which I would much like to live. But they would consider me rather eccentric anyway so...
You well know that the culture deliberately creates a situation where an individual becomes a fugitive of the culture in order to further a goal of the culture. It's so "Mullholland Drive" of them.
Oh absolutely! Becoming a fugitive of the Culture pretty much has to be something which was their idea... Otherwise you'll just get stalked by a drone...

If by "Culture club" you mean those who think the world would be better if we emulated the Culture, not at all! While I appreciate Ian Bank's writing, the Culture is not the sort of society in which I would much like to live. But they would consider me rather eccentric anyway so...

Oh absolutely! Becoming a fugitive of the Culture pretty much has to be something which was their idea... Otherwise you'll just get stalked by a drone...
I would just like to say that I did not specifically says a fugitive from the Culture but anything involving a fugitive within the Culture universe. Just saying.
Drones are good though. So are the Culture minds. Oh and the ships with just about the coolest names of any ships in any SF anywhere.
Still clueless about this whole exercise though. Haven't had a pm. Am I getting a pm? Is anyone getting a pm? Would anyone like a pm?

I would just like to say that I did not specifically says a fugitive from the Culture but anything involving a fugitive within the Culture universe. Just saying.
Drones are good though. So are the Culture minds. Oh and the ships with just about the coolest names of any ships in any SF anywhere.
Oh I know. But making it from the Culture makes it that much more difficult... hence more fun for me.

Still clueless about this whole exercise though. Haven't had a pm. Am I getting a pm? Is anyone getting a pm? Would anyone like a pm?
Did you enter the dance off?

No I meant Boy George and his pals.

Culture%20club%201.jpg

Yeah, it's a bit older but ladies and gentlemen, you gotta have faith and listen without prejudice. Wham!

Oh those ones.
My mum has a sundress like the first persons shirt.

Last edited:
Back