What's your Sci-Fi guilty pleasure?

Spaced Invaders its about a group of really dumb aliens who, upon hearing Orson wells war of thwworld broadcasts rush to earth to help come to the aid of the Martians . Thye arrive on Halloween . This. bad funny which is very entertaining .:D

Under books. Battlefield Earth By L Ron Hubbard. It's like reading one of those great old fashioned Golden age science fiction stories. It's fun to read . :cool:

I have a few guilty Science Fiction pleasures. Could it be indicative of a low intellect? :LOL:

I actually quite liked Stallone's Judge Dredd. For sure it could've been better and Stallone should not have removed his helmet, but the film was entertaining enough and I still find it enjoyable. Mega-City 1 looked amazing.

I seem to be one of the few people that still likes James Cameron's Avatar.

Soldier, Event Horizon and Starship Troopers are all good fun. The Chronicles of Riddick, Flash Gordon, Millennium, Lockdown and Fortress to be included in that list.

I actually like the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy.

I liked Costner's The Postman. (Still yet to see Waterworld)

I really liked Will Smith's I Am Legend.

I also enjoyed Zack Snyder's DC movies and like their darker tone.

There will be many others, but I need to think.

Last edited:
Ghosts of Mars by John Carpenter - a movie that's so trashy and has such an absurd premise (martian colonists zombiefied by ghosts of unearthed aliens that try to conquer the planet) it comes out as loads of fun with the right mindset.

Other than that - Andromeda TV series (especially the Randian-Nietzschean superhumans that are so edgy they actually evolved spikes).

Creature 1985 A a very good Alien knock off staring Klaus Kinski . :cool:

Waterworld. Panned by lots of people, but a good interesting and fun story with a subtle level of humour.

Ghosts of Mars by John Carpenter - a movie that's so trashy and has such an absurd premise (martian colonists zombiefied by ghosts of unearthed aliens that try to conquer the planet) it comes out as loads of fun with the right mindset.

Other than that - Andromeda TV series (especially the Randian-Nietzschean superhumans that are so edgy they actually evolved spikes).

Ghosts of Mars live seen several time, Its very entertaining stuff.

Andromeda. yes , thought the Nietzscheans were cool. :cool:

Last edited:
Ghosts of Mars is still on my to watch list, but i have seen it on many underrated movie lists.

I watched Andromeda relatively recently. Enjoyable enough, but pretty substandard and i won't watch it again. It kind of got interesting in the middle, but the last series was a really odd addition and i'm not too sure how it all fitted together.

I have a few film guilty pleasures. Starship Troopers is nothing like the book, but it's fun enough. Soldier is not one of Kurt Russell's best films but I enjoy it now and again.

As a film , Id give Soldier B + Kirk Russel is perfect as the stone faced Super soldier and this film is fun and gritty science fiction action film. :cool:

Ghosts of Mars is still on my to watch list, but i have seen it on many underrated movie lists.

I watched Andromeda relatively recently. Enjoyable enough, but pretty substandard and i won't watch it again. It kind of got interesting in the middle, but the last series was a really odd addition and i'm not too sure how it all fitted together.

The problem with Andromeda is they changed premise of the show to it detriment. Hunts quest was reestablish and reunite the commonwealth , that should have happened over five season and not been end at two .Had they stayed with The original premise timeline , the show would be up there with Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica.

Okay , Space 1999 . This show tons of flaws and holes ,especially its premise, but when saw int as kin in 1975, I saw noe of this and thought thought it was spectacular. Visually , it still hold up pretty well and I own it on dvd. :cool: (y)

A mid-80s film called Solo about a human cyborg super-soldier that begins to questions the ethics of what it is being asked to do.
I haven't seen it in 30+ years but I remember it fondly. It would probably come up short if I saw it again.

A mid-80s film called Solo about a human cyborg super-soldier that begins to questions the ethics of what it is being asked to do.
I haven't seen it in 30+ years but I remember it fondly. It would probably come up short if I saw it again.

ive see it , it was decent science fiction action film but got panned by the cricks.

Okay , Space 1999 . This show tons of flaws and holes ,especially its premise, but when saw int as kin in 1975, I saw noe of this and thought thought it was spectacular. Visually , it still hold up pretty well and I own it on dvd. :cool: (y)

Similar with Logans Run for me. Both good series, but spoilt (for me) from rewatches as they were cancelled part way through. There was apparently a fan-made conclusion for Space 1999.

Awww, Blakes' Seven for sure. I always want it to be better than it is, so that in my mind it's an epic piece of classic TV sci-fi, rather than cheaply-made with dodgy 1970's politics...

But some of the characters are dark and compulsive, many performances are excellent (especially given the set and costuming errr 'limitations') and the whole thing is dystopian as hell and terribly bleak. "Not exactly" a happy ending, which is rare in any TV show.

Similar with Logans Run for me. Both good series, but spoilt (for me) from rewatches as they were cancelled part way through. There was apparently a fan-made conclusion for Space 1999.

I liked Logan's Runs the series but would chose different actor for two of the thee leads . Simon McCorkindale would have been my choice to play Logan 5 and Angela Cartwright would have been my choice to play Jessica 6. I would have kept Donald Moffat as the Android Rem.

Most of my SF TV/movie watching is guilty pleasure because so few Science Fiction films are actually any good (or even Science Fiction) but the one I'm MOST ashamed of enjoying is Jason of Star Command which is so incredibly, cacking awful on so many different levels it transcends time and space and any attempt at critical analysis.

Movies? Starcrash most of the guilt here is because I think the best thing about it is Caroline Monro's sweaty tits - I kind of feel guilty about watching a movie purely because the lead has nice knockers and knows how to point them at the camera.

Reading: The Perry Rhodan books.

Comics: Alan Class reprints of all those those 'Twist in the Tale' stories (Oh MY GOD! It was EARTH ALL ALONG!) that Stan Lee churned out by the thousand back in Marvel's early days in titles like Tales to Astonish.