Warhammer 40K

Richard-Allen

would this make an interesting science fiction tv series or movie. I feel it might be a bit of a challenge to make it. But with the development of special effects it might be easier to do. I have found that they have made it into a role playing game, it may be a challenge to create it. but I think someone should give it a try.

Under 40k Id like to see a Gaunt's Ghost series .

I agree, the series is great, the books are extensive in scale. The details would make them remarkable as a series. How would the company that is directing it do all of the things that the characters do. There is an extensive back story for all of it. The way that they describe the details of space travel is definitely very interesting. Their thoughts on warp speed is most assuredly a different view point of it. The way that demons play a part in it is most assuredly a different view point then the conventional story that the science fiction writers have of warp.

It could be, that they think as we did before hitting match with our jets. The thoughts on these things that you have been able to bring a jet to match. A fellow writer suggested I should have learned about what I am writing about. Science fiction key word is fiction. The science is space travel and being able to allow us to know that it can happen.

I would love to see that, but It would cost a hell of a lot of money. Aren’t the Mandalorian episodes $15 million freedom buck each? I’d say a WH40k episode would be a lot more demanding effects wise.

I would also be concerned on the size of the target audience. Those new to the WH universe may be difficult to capture.

Perhaps a Horus Heresy series, WH 30K so to speak. I don’t think some people realise just how old 40K is, the first rules appeared in 1987, and Black Library have been publishing the novels since 1997, and I believe our own @Toby Frost has written for them.

Yes, I did. Straken is a great read and very reasonably-priced, and I'm not biased at all!

I gather that animations about the space marines and an inquisitor are currently being made: GW has branched out considerably in the last few years.

It seems to me that one of the big problems is that people will want to see space marines, probably fighting chaos space marines, but a lot of their background is either slightly ridiculous in practice (spitting acid!) or doesn't make for good drama (feeling no actual fear, and having very little in the way of personality). Even getting them into the same shot with characters who are less than 7 feet tall would be difficult. (I always wondered what the marines did when fighting people in normal-sized buildings.)

I think you would have to bring Chaos into it: that medieval aspect is really what makes 40k different from a more miserable version of Star Wars or Dune. It could be good, but I think that would involve making it very strange to preserve its uniqueness, rather just being super-soldiers shooting monsters, and that strangeness might well drive people away.

I still think that the WH40k universe would be a difficult thing to attract anyone by die hard fans.

I still haven't seen the Ultramarines cartoon they did a few years ago. I might try this weekend.

I still think that the WH40k universe would be a difficult thing to attract anyone by die hard fans.
I you asked me 30 years ago, I would have told you exactly that regarding the Marvel universe, so are you quite sure of that?

I've never played and know little about WH40k but I might be tempted go to the cinema to watch a film. Then again, I'm probably not a very good example. I'd never drag along my wife, except that she wouldn't watch Marvel either. I would also have told you that my sister and brother-in-law would never watch something like GoT, but they have the boxed sets, and watched it several times. Fantasy and Science Fiction elements in mainstream films are commonplace now too - time travel romances, dead partners romance as ghosts, a glitch in time means the Beatles never existed. LotR and Avatar have a lot to answer for.

I think it would depend on the quality of the film - script, director and budget. Get Guillermo del Toro to direct it and I'll see you there!

Given Amazon's recent less than stellar productions of Wheel of Time and Lord of the Rings, I find it hard to imagine they will handle a dark subject to the satisfaction of 40K fans.