Pre 1960's book, two planets, one is Earth, the other has PSI powered humans, who are ranked by their power in 10's, Top rank are known as 70's.

CaptGraham

Humans are being secretly kidnapped by unknowns from the other planet. The controlling authorities of both planets agree to a joint investigation. So a human detective is sent to the other planet to investigate, he is teamed with a investigator from the other planet who is ranked as a 40 in terms of PSI powers, this man has a sister who is a 30, another relation who is a lowly 10, who has a son - not yet ranked. Together they uncover the plot, that a leading 70 , has discovered that he can control hundreds of non PSI humans and use them as his slaves. Together our band a 40, 30 , 10 plus unknown boy overcome the rogue 70 etc etc

Hi,

It's not quite right, but something about this reminds me of the lensmen series by EE Doc Smith. It's not one of the original seven books, but I believe there were some additional books put out in the lensmen universe by other authors.

The other possibility that springs to mind are the Perry Rhodan books - but there are thousands of them to search through I'm afraid.

Cheers, Greg.

I remember this story. Not Perry, not Lensman. The rogue's were 80's. The number was supposed to represent how many others a PSI could control with his mind. The detective from Earth works with the PSI detective (who is a 40), and befriends the lowly 10, and her son, who is ranked as "Unknown" (as opposed to not yet ranked).

It turns out that the rogue 80's were the criminals, but they couldn't be stopped because they were the most powerful of the PSI's. In the end, the detectives are captured and held incommunicado by one of the rogues; I vaguely recall his name as Ranz (or maybe Kranz). In order to get help, the Earth detective "piggybacks" his mental message on top of the PSI detectives' mental powers. This worked because the PSI planet had no understanding of emotion. The Earth detective had feeling for the 10 and her son, and his piggy-back message contained these feelings. The rogue 80's were contemptuous of the emotional "slop" that the message contained, but it worked. The message got out and the 10 and the Unknown came to the rescue. Of course, they, by themselves, were no match for the 80. But they had a secret weapon. It was to attack the rogue with both physical attacks AND mental attacks. I remember the battle cry: "Let's all put our minds together and attack Ranz". While the lowly 10 and the PSI detective only comprise a "50", the physical attack of the Earth detective as well as the unimaginable power of the Unknown eventually win the day, and the 80 is mentally subdued. Finally, all the other 80 are taken into custody as well.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the story. Sorry. But it was great reminiscing.

C

An update:
I recall more of the story...
1. The Unknown PSI's name may have been Kendel, or Kendle. Pretty sure it began with a "K".
2. The lowly "10" was actually a "2"; that is, she could control two "1's". When asked by the Earth detective why she worked so hard when she could have her "1's" work for her, she replied that they already had enough problems (being only a "1") and she did not want to add to their burdens.
3. The Earth detective MAY have been named Baily...but I recall another Earth-detective-in-Outer-Space story in which the detective was named Baily, and I may be mixing the two stories up.

That's all so far, I'll try to keep remembering.

C

Bailey (sp) was the detective in Asimov's "Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun," detective stories about R Daneel Olivaw (positronic robot) and Elijah "Lije" Bailey (detective).

I remember this story. Not Perry, not Lensman. The rogue's were 80's. The number was supposed to represent how many others a PSI could control with his mind. The detective from Earth works with the PSI detective (who is a 40), and befriends the lowly 10, and her son, who is ranked as "Unknown" (as opposed to not yet ranked).

It turns out that the rogue 80's were the criminals, but they couldn't be stopped because they were the most powerful of the PSI's. In the end, the detectives are captured and held incommunicado by one of the rogues; I vaguely recall his name as Ranz (or maybe Kranz). In order to get help, the Earth detective "piggybacks" his mental message on top of the PSI detectives' mental powers. This worked because the PSI planet had no understanding of emotion. The Earth detective had feeling for the 10 and her son, and his piggy-back message contained these feelings. The rogue 80's were contemptuous of the emotional "slop" that the message contained, but it worked. The message got out and the 10 and the Unknown came to the rescue. Of course, they, by themselves, were no match for the 80. But they had a secret weapon. It was to attack the rogue with both physical attacks AND mental attacks. I remember the battle cry: "Let's all put our minds together and attack Ranz". While the lowly 10 and the PSI detective only comprise a "50", the physical attack of the Earth detective as well as the unimaginable power of the Unknown eventually win the day, and the 80 is mentally subdued. Finally, all the other 80 are taken into custody as well.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the story. Sorry. But it was great reminiscing.

C
You have the right story - Strange how the memory distorts. I recall the 40 with a female 30, and the 10 and her unrated young son.

Bailey (sp) was the detective in Asimov's "Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun," detective stories about R Daneel Olivaw (positronic robot) and Elijah "Lije" Bailey (detective).
Hi, no this wasn't the story it was PSI not robots - I know Caves of Steel etc. But thank you for trying

An update:
I recall more of the story...
1. The Unknown PSI's name may have been Kendel, or Kendle. Pretty sure it began with a "K".
2. The lowly "10" was actually a "2"; that is, she could control two "1's". When asked by the Earth detective why she worked so hard when she could have her "1's" work for her, she replied that they already had enough problems (being only a "1") and she did not want to add to their burdens.
3. The Earth detective MAY have been named Baily...but I recall another Earth-detective-in-Outer-Space story in which the detective was named Baily, and I may be mixing the two stories up.

That's all so far, I'll try to keep remembering.

C
I think you were right about the lowly "10" stating that the people she could control had enough problems. yeah Baily was a Asimov Robot story. But thank you for trying. At least 3 of us know the book I am after - So i am not imagining it !!

I think the book is titled The Mind Traders by J Hunter Holly.

A Goodreads review:-

This book was a joy to read. A mix of science fiction with a sort of buddy cop thing going on. Unlike a lot of science fiction the reader is gently introduced to a new world through the eyes of the main character Detective Morgan Sellers.

He is sent to the planet of the only alien race that earth is aware of to search for thousands of humans who have disappeared. The Rigen people are telepathic and have a very different society with power based on the number of minds a person can control. As a human Morgan is completely defenceless, which is why a Rigen called Jael is assigned to be his team mate and partner.

think the book is titled The Mind Traders by J Hunter Holly.
Here's a book cover I've just found over in Stack Exchange
hard_145.jpg

Amazing. I went looking for the book and I found these covers. It might have been more popular than I'd imagined. I like your cover better than either of these.

mt 1.jpg
mt 2.jpg