SF Book where the author says that in the future all people of earth will have the same skin color.

SandiB

I read this book 30 or 40 years ago. It was set two or three hundred years (or more) in the future and the author said that all of the people of earth had the same skin color, a nice light brown color. Because of this, there was no prejudice or discrimination because of your skin color. However, people did discriminate due to the ethnicity of your name. The book was written in English. I'm pretty sure it was by one of the popular SF writers of the time - Asimov, Heinlein, and Clark were my favorites. Unfortunately, each of them have written lots of books and I can't remember the title.

I read this book 30 or 40 years ago. It was set two or three hundred years (or more) in the future and the author said that all of the people of earth had the same skin color, a nice light brown color. Because of this, there was no prejudice or discrimination because of your skin color. However, people did discriminate due to the ethnicity of your name. The book was written in English. I'm pretty sure it was by one of the popular SF writers of the time - Asimov, Heinlein, and Clark were my favorites. Unfortunately, each of them have written lots of books and I can't remember the title.

Unrelated to your search but books you might find of interest

In Caverns Below by Stanton Coblentz a dystopian science fiction satire which has again become relevant

Alph by Charles Eric Maine a dystopian future in which ther are only women because men have gone extinct.

Ive never heard the book you describe but chances are someone will be able all to answer your question . If I may offer a further suggestion , check out the rest of the site while you waiting . There's lots of things to see and know . We have topics both serious and silly. This is a fun and cool place.:cool:(y)

I'm finding the theme of racial homogeneity in summaries of Race Against Time, by Piers Anthony, but I'm not seeing anything about people's names.

One to look at anyway.

As an aside, which doesn't answer your question, The Lathe of Heaven by Le Guin turns everyone gray for a while:
They came from every part of the earth to work at the World Planning Center or to look at it, from Thailand, Argentina, Ghana, China, Ireland, Tasmania, Lebanon, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Honduras, Lichtenstein. But they all wore the same clothes, trousers, tunic, raincape; and underneath the clothes they were all the same color. They were gray.

Dr. Haber had been delighted when that happened. It had been last Saturday, their first session in a week. He had stared at himself in the washroom mirror for five minutes, chuckling and admiring; he had stared at Orr the same way. "That time you did it the economical way for once, George! By God, I believe your brain's beginning to cooperate with me! You know what I suggested you dream--eh?"

For, these days, Haber did talk freely and fully to Orr about what he was doing and hoped to do with Orr's dreams. Not that it helped much.

Orr had looked down at his own pale-gray hands, with their short gray nails. "I suppose that you suggested that there be no more color problems. No question of race."

"Precisely. And of course I was envisaging a political and ethical solution. Instead of which, your primary thinking processes took the usual short cut, which usually turns out to be a short circuit, but this time they went to the root. Made the change biological and absolute. There never has been a racial problem! You and I are the only two men on earth, George, who know that there ever was a racial problem!
There's also evil gray men in Momo, but that's a different story.

It's weird because Asimov almost fits. His Empire books (Pebble in the Sky, The Stars, Like Dust, and The Currents of Space) are, of course, in English and have practically all people being "brown" but they are set much further into the future and the discrimination comes from (a) being an Earther or (b) actually being a tiny minority of white serfs working for the overlords of Sark. So the part about the ethnic names (and the chronology) doesn't fit. I don't remember a Heinlein like that. I don't recall Clarke's Imperial Earth well because I didn't think it was very good but it seems like it could have had something like this. Songs of Distant Earth might be another possibility, but I think that was just a particular colony.

Back