DISCUSSION THREAD -- June 2020 -- 75-Word Writing Challenge

It just occurred to me this morning that perhaps only people raised in the UK would know what a conker was, and what they were traditionally used for (at least from an adolescent perspective). As such, a big part of my story might have been lost in translation.
It is worries like this that can destroy a man, just a small thought that grows into a concern that his writing has been misunderstood and that ultimately the issue will be brought up at a Booker prize committee, leading to rejection of his magnum opus and the end of his career.

However, help is at hand: North American Conker Championship

I guess time will tell @Astro Pen. I think these things tend to get reflected in the voting process (not for a second assuming my story will get any). I think there have been stories in previous months that have gone completely over my head, meaning that they've not made my short list or been up for a vote. Anyway, I was happy with it, so I guess that's all that matters, right? We don't do this for recognition, do we.

I understood your story, too.
I think it was through watching Gardener's World a few years back that I was introduced to the term conker, when someone mentioned the game played with the seeds from this tree. Either that, or some other BBC show that I'm addicted to. While we have horse chestnut trees here, I have never heard of anyone playing conkers.

We don't do this for recognition, do we.
I do it for the obscurity. My results so far suggest that it is working.

(Errors are easy: This month for instance I stuck rigidly to the 65 word limit and submitted. Later I realised and thought about what 10 words would I have added? The answer after a couple of tries was 'none' because I had constructed it for that length, lesson learned.)

Well, my entry was a surprise to me.

Incidentally @scarpelius and @Justin Swanton - I thought your Shaun the Sheep and Men in Black postings hit the genre perfectly.

Last edited:
It just occurred to me this morning that perhaps only people raised in the UK would know what a conker was, and what they were traditionally used for (at least from an adolescent perspective). As such, a big part of my story might have been lost in translation.

Never heard of conkers until now. Sorry about that. But I did think it was an interesting story nonetheless.

-------------

@Hugh .... Buttercups .... Hugh sends us a sweet love song that any outdoors person can resonate with.

Never heard of conkers until now. Sorry about that. But I did think it was an interesting story nonetheless.

-------------

Thanks Parson. Eons ago at school, we'd play each other at conkers; the chestnut fruit drilled and mounted on string. You take turns trying to smash your opponent's conker. Some people would stick theirs in the freezer or add some kind of varnish. That was the 'strength' and 'victory' angle of the tale. It's a short but spectacular life for a seed that would otherwise have been hoping for a peaceful birth / death / transformation in the soil.

Can't imagine the kids of today play it much, or have even heard of it. They might have the IOS version of the game though!

@BT Jones The tragedy is that so many schools banned the game on some bizarre health and safety kick. What a loss for childrens' culture. I was once very proud of my desiccated 42er - a conker I'd found down the back of the drawers one year that had hardened to a rock-like consistency and eventually retired undefeated.

I know I'll be out of the running for some people's votes and shortlists for "borrowing" an established world, but the mood took me that way. Who am I to defy the mood?

@BT Jones The tragedy is that so many schools banned the game on some bizarre health and safety kick. What a loss for childrens' culture. I was once very proud of my desiccated 42er - a conker I'd found down the back of the drawers one year that had hardened to a rock-like consistency and eventually retired undefeated.

I know I'll be out of the running for some people's votes and shortlists for "borrowing" an established world, but the mood took me that way. Who am I to defy the mood?
Oh my days, @Stable, modern health and safety will be the death of fun! And I'm all for going with the mood. Take last month and the night owl topic. I immediately had visions of people doing stories about night lurkers, dark mages, and the like, so the idea of just a simple story about Owls came to life, and a kind-of 4th wall breaking one as well. It was whimsical and entirely non-essential, but it fit my mood at that precise minute and I'm not sure I would have come up with anything more inspired, so I went with it and was content. I think it's cool to try different genres and different styles. Normally, I don't read the stories until voting time in one big hit, so I will keep a look out for yours!

@Stable .... It's not unusual to be loved by anyone .... In spite of the title there is nothing usual about this "plant" story.

@johnnyjet .... The Bells of St. Stephen Hawking .... Johnny reminds us that those who live the pastoral life can survive almost anything.

Well, I'm in. As usual, I struggled with the theme / genre for a day or two but finally had an idea.

I think a mod needs to clean up post #15 in the entry thread.

Well, I'm in. As usual, I struggled with the theme / genre for a day or two but finally had an idea.

I think a mod needs to clean up post #15 in the entry thread.

I've sent a PM to SteveB37 asking what he wants to happen and gave him a list of moderators he could contact.

-----------

@JNG01 .... The Fish Stares at Me .... Sometimes scientific experimentation and a calm farm life do not fit together.

@mosaix .... Fall Out .... Sometimes FARMING is written very, very large.

Hi everyone! It's been a bit! A few things have shifted around for me and I'm finally able to dedicate some time to honing my fiction writing again. I look forward to getting back into the challenges and participating in the forums again!

OK, I got something in. Not sure if it fits but I got something in. Good luck to everyone.

@Joshua Jones .... The First Unusual Day .... Joshua tells us a story to remind us that "boring is good."

@Ambrose .... The Visitor.... Ambrose reminds us that in the country being nice and welcoming others is the way it is done.
Nice first story Ambrose!

@Calliopenjo .... What Am I .... Calli baffles me with a riddle and I hope my best guess is wrong.

Back