Need help on next stage of my book

Mike92

Hello I need some professional advice. I have finished writing a book. It is around 53,000 words long. I have a cover made and have it copyrighted protected. The thing is I need someone to proof read. I have Aspgers and Dyslexia. So I know they are many punctuation and gamma issues through the book, which the computer won't highlight. I have let a close friend to proof read it. In 9 weeks he has only got past the second chapter and he is too busy to continue through it. I have had this franchise is my head for over ten years ( I am 28 now), now I have written the first one. I have always wanted to be a Author. I have nearly finished the sequel which is longer.

I will go through it again but I don't know how it should read. I really need a second opinion on it. Should I find a proof reader before I self publish or find a literary agent first. Or do I just self publish it with a note saying I have Asperger’s and dyslexia which I don't know how to do. Then hope they will consider my difficulties while reading. At the moment is set up for self publishing, I am thinking of selling it for a fair price. I have many more stories in my head but struggle to put them in a format to sell and for you to read. I hope you can help me or lead me towards the right direction as I am in limbo. I look forward to your advice.

Hi Mike, nice to meet you here.
If I were you I’d slow down a wee bit and go back a few steps. Before you submit or self publish get some eyes onto your mss. There are two possible outcomes - your storytelling is great but your spelling etc isn’t, in which case a copy editor could help, or that you have a way to go with the writing, in which case there are lots of ways to get support.
If you stick around here, once you get to 30 posts you could put a bit - only up to 1500 words so if there is a lot to do it’s not overwhelming - up on critiques and get feedback. It’s useful if you can tell people what you have here so they can critique in the way to best help you.

Hello Mike -- Welcome to the Chrons!

I second Jo's suggestion that you slow down a little. Anyone who has written a novel deserves a round of applause, so well done you! However, writing is like every other thing in life -- practice makes perfect, and a first attempt is rarely successful. I'm always likening it to driving a car -- when you're a passenger it looks really easy, but when you actually get in the driving seat for the first time, it's another matter! Even if you manage to drive to the end of the street without crashing or stalling or nearly throwing your instructor through the windscreen as you braked much too hard (oh, that was just me then...) in all likelihood it still won't have been very pretty. And it won't be pretty and fluid and easy until you've spent hours and hours practising, until it all comes together.

Finding a literary agent who will not only take you on, but look after you and your writing and sell your books is very difficult for a newcomer to writing -- to take my driving analogy further, agents don't want people who can just drive over to the local shops and back, they want a Formula 1 driver, someone who will excel and earn them money. But don't just rush into self-publishing either -- if you want to sell your books, you need to make them as best you can. And we come back to practice makes perfect.

Jo is right in saying it would be good for you to have feedback on your work. Usually I'm cautious about new writers diving in and asking for a critique, since it can be very demoralising if you've spent a lot of time and effort on your first "baby" and the feedback isn't wholly positive. However, I think it might help you if you put up a very short amount in our Critiques section -- say no more than 400 or 500 words -- so we can assess whether your dyslexia is causing you as many problems as you fear, and we can then give advice as to your best way forward. But that, as Jo says, isn't open to you yet since you need at least 30 counted posts to put a thread up in Critiques (not all posts in all areas of the site count for that purpose).

The other thing that comes to mind on reading your post is that with the internet today it's very easy to find sites which purport to be informative and accurate, but in fact are very misleading. I don't know who advised you to get your book copyright protected, but if you've done anything elaborate for this, and certainly if you've spent any money, then you've probably been misled -- copyright accrues as soon as you've written something. Fortunately, you've now come to an excellent place where you'll get the sound advice and help you need!

So what I'd suggest is you take your time and read around on different threads here on Chrons and join in where you feel you can. Look at the other pieces of work up on Critiques and see how they're written and what kind of comments have been made about them. Perhaps offer your own thoughts -- most writers here will tell you we learn as much by giving feedback on other people's work as we do by getting feedback on our own. And while you're doing that, keep writing!

And since this is a post asking for help, rather than about Trad Publishing as such, I'll move the thread over to Writing Discussion.

As far as copyrights go: you have the rights in most cases without going through the process.
Here in the US I went through the copyright process(register)twice and here is the thing.
You have to send them the 'best' copy of the work and it sounds like you didn't have that yet.

I have no idea if this is the same everywhere--but my guess is that you shouldn't register the copyright until you are completely finished and if you make a paper copy that's probably what would be best, though Electronic copies are fine if that's all you have.

Again things might be different elsewhere; however if you meant that you registered your copyrights then I'd suggest the nest time you wait until you have a polished copy.

As for self publishing; definitely have it edited properly and though you are Asperger and Dyslexic- The most I'd do with that is put it in any bio you might include with the book as a mention in the least intrusive way.

In case anyone is confused by the issue of registering copyright, my understanding is there is absolutely no need to register copyright anywhere in the UK or US, and I'm pretty sure not in Europe, just to obtain copyright protection. Copyright vests in a piece of work as soon as it is written.

However, if you're in the US, it can be advantageous to register that copyright if you wish to sue someone for infringing your rights. Unless the law has changed greatly in the last 5 years since I researched the issue, though, such registration doesn't definitively prove you have copyright, it simply allows for enforcement of your rights and the award of certain costs in US courts. A post of mine here gives further detail: Copyrights/Trademarks

Never argue with the Judge, but I want to add that legal recourse always costs money. Whatever protection a registered copyright provides, one must still find the offender, hire lawyers, and undergo the costs, even if you recover those costs in the long run. And the law runs long indeed. Moreover, in this modern world of ours, the offender is very likely in another country and you can't proceed at law anyway.

Indeed, yes. I was thinking of adding a "for all that it's worth" to the idea of registration -- litigation is unlikely to be of any real help for the great majority of writers, even if they can prove someone has acted in breach of copyright. (I spent a good part of my legal career trying to dissuade clients from initiating court proceedings -- even if judgement is given in one's favour, successfully enforcing that judgement is another matter, and most litigants end up out of pocket.)

Indeed, yes. I was thinking of adding a "for all that it's worth" to the idea of registration -- litigation is unlikely to be of any real help for the great majority of writers, even if they can prove someone has acted in breach of copyright. (I spent a good part of my legal career trying to dissuade clients from initiating court proceedings -- even if judgement is given in one's favour, successfully enforcing that judgement is another matter, and most litigants end up out of pocket.)

Excellent point TJ. I was recently looking at someone discussing the sorts of litigation that gets thrown about in the music industry, where it is deemed people have "borrowed" a little too much of someone elses song. But the crucial point was that these cases only ever came up when the 'derivative' work had made an absolute stack of cash, so therefore it was then worthwhile for other parties to press a claim to get a slice of the action, otherwise it was just ignored. As you state, the effort of trying to stop the wrong-doer or get the profits would not pay for the legal services in the first place.

Similar logic must apply to books.

In case anyone is confused by the issue of registering copyright, my understanding is there is absolutely no need to register copyright anywhere in the UK or US, and I'm pretty sure not in Europe, just to obtain copyright protection. Copyright vests in a piece of work as soon as it is written.

However, if you're in the US, it can be advantageous to register that copyright if you wish to sue someone for infringing your rights. Unless the law has changed greatly in the last 5 years since I researched the issue, though, such registration doesn't definitively prove you have copyright, it simply allows for enforcement of your rights and the award of certain costs in US courts. A post of mine here gives further detail: Copyrights/Trademarks

Should authors use © on webpages written by the author?

If they want. It makes the position clear so if anyone wishes to quote from the piece, it confirms who should be approached for consent -- though if the author of the piece and the website owner are one and the same I'd have thought it otiose -- and if someone quotes extensively from it without consent that person can't argue he/she didn't know who held the copyright. But
  • the copyright is there without the symbol
  • if someone wants to steal another person's work, the mere fact of a symbol isn't going to stop him
  • ignorance is no excuse as far as the law is concerned so someone arguing he didn't know copyright was held in something because there was no symbol isn't a viable defence (though it might act in mitigation if it's believed)
  • how are you going to know if someone does steal your work and what would/could you do about it anyway?

I use the copyright symbol but I also use the year. To me, stating the year of publication (it's always the same, for me) is important and relevant. The copyright symbol is there simply as a reminder to those who aren't sure, or who just need a gentle reminder to stay on the road. There are deliberate bad actors; these will not be deterred. There are good actors; these wouldn't dream of copying the book. But there are also those who are hazy on the concept, or who have a stray fancy. A statement of copyright might help in such cases, and certainly there is no harm in adding it.

That said, I'll reiterate that there is absolutely no reason to *pay* for registering the copyright, unless you're a corporation with pockets, believe pirating is possible or likely, and so are laying the legal groundwork for an expected battle. IOW, a publishing house.

As an aside, it doesn't trouble me to openly admit my need to look up otiose in a dictionary. Given the million words or so in the English language, there's lots of new words for me to learn every day.

Somewhere along the way I stumbled across an apparently amateur author (amateur in the sense of unpaid) who places © at the bottom of his pages. In my ignorance it seemed like a good idea. Not that my words are worth much, mind you, but you never know. It seemed better to use it and not need it than to not use it and need it later.

And, in the end, it's superfluous.

sknox,

Your use of the copyright symbol as nudge in the correct direction makes sense to me. Our world will always be plagued with bad actors who profit from ripping off the work of others, symbol or no symbol.

As a former minor professional nonfictional writer, it makes me sad to see people pay to publish their work in the first place. And a registered copyright seems like something peddled by unscrupulous "agents" who feed off the dreams of others.

Lots of good advice up in here! Thanks for answering copyright questions too!

As for the OP, first off, I feel for you. Trying to get other people to help you edit your work can be very difficult, as is having them taking it as seriously as you do yourself. Even though I just joined, it looks like you're (we're) better off here in the long run regarding real advice and critiques of your writing than we are sending it off to friends.

Regarding the issues you have with your craft, I also agree with the 'need to write a bunch of crap before ya write anything good' rule and definitely recommend writing every single chance you get. I bought a cheapo laptop (Samsung Google Chromebook for the poor folk out there) and literally take it everywhere with me. I think, to become an author, you have to be absolutely obsessed with what you do to the point where it's a burning passion. But, that said, it's ok if you're insecure about your work. We all are to some extent. The most important thing is to never let that get you down, lest you give up and never know what could have been.

Also, while having others analyze your work is necessary, I think it's just as important to find ways to develop your own inner critical voice. Mine sounds like a drill sergeant, but he keeps me fiercely motivated. One thing I did, and maybe this will help you, is take a book or three from your shelves of authors you find inspirational. Read a paragraph of theirs, then read yours and see how they match up in regards to flow, grammar, punctuation, clarity, and so forth. If you don't already, I'd suggest keeping a story outline and handwritten book of notes as well. Some people are 'pantsers', though, so YMMV, but that's helped me a whole bunch in everything from keeping away those pesky plot holes to developing each characters 'voice' in the world.

Anyway, not sure if my advice is exactly what you're looking for, but if I can help, I'm definitely happy to do so!

Welcome to the forum.

First, I echo everyone saying look for other people to have an eye over and give feedback before you seek to self-publish or submit. I too came here with a finished manuscript I wanted to self-publish. I personally found that after I listened to others here and learned more, I was not at a level where I was happy to publish.

Second, I would say that a proof reader is necessary, particularly if you seek to self-publish. An agent might be sympathetic to you if you explained the cause of your issues ( although I would not bet too much on it) but the self-published market is very full and it is difficult to gain traction. I suspect most people will simply move past a book that they know has typos, regardless of reason, and a handful may seek to be deliberately cruel. Give the hard work you have done the best possible chance.

Thank you for all your replies. I have taken all your advice. I have postanponed self publishing my book on Amazon. I will look for a proof reader or a editor to ready through my work. Then after decide my next move due to thier feedback.

Can anyone link me to a proof reader or tell me how to find one. I have no clue where to find one. Honestly I prefer to physically meet them one to one first. Just to see if they are who they are. I don't trust the internet as they could be a con artist's or looking to steal my work. I live in the UK in the South of England. So I would like to meet one close to me.

There was a lot of debate of copyright. As I know Yes my work is mine due to copyright but how do I prove that. So I registered it with Protect My Work.com. It did not cost much but now I have something to say it is my work and I have a date. The only reason I did it now is because I am paranoid of a future Marvel, DC or Star Wars movie claiming a stole a planet design or idea from them. But I can say I had this planet and story before your movie came out. I am just thinking about the future just to protect myself.

I will still contiune to write in my spare time. Soon I will start my 3rd book in the series.

Back to my previous question. Can you link or tell me how to find a proof reader. I look forward to your reply.

@Mike92 I would recommend having it Beta read. I had my work Beta read by 3 x different people and the feedback was excellent and very helpful. I was also lucky enough to have 2 family members read my work in its entirety to help with spelling mistakes and the like. On top of that, I also re-read each chapter in full after finishing it, for flow and errors, and also then again in full once more at the end, for the same reason. This can save you money in the long run when it comes to getting it professionally edited, if that's what you want to do.

Also, as for your copyright protection, the editor I sent it to for a beta / professional read said that just by sending it to them, I had effectively copyrighted my work.

Being Australia based, I have no proof read contacts for you, however.