"The New Accelerator" by H G Wells

Don

"The New Accelerator" is a 1901 science fiction short story by H. G. Wells, first published in The Strand Magazine in December 1901. The story addresses an elixir, invented by a Prof. Gibberne, that accelerates all of an individual's physiological and cognitive processes by some orders of magnitude, such that although the individual perceives no change in themselves, the external world appears almost frozen into immobility and only the motion of most rapidly moving objects – such as the tip of a cracked whip – can be perceived.

Interesting story Concept:unsure:

Two stories you might find of interest Don

The Plutonian Drug by Clark Ashton Smith (Short story )

The Heads of Cerberus by Francis Stevens (full Novel )

Interesting story Concept:unsure:

Two stories you might find of interest Don

The Plutonian Drug by Clark Ashton Smith (Short story )

The Heads of Cerberus by Francis Stevens (full Novel )

There's always time enough for me to read a short story. "The Plutonian Drug" is available online here:

Although the first page is cropped out there's enough remnant to tell the story. The part where a crystaloid changes into a colloid piques my interest as to whether the process is possible in real life. Thank you.

There's always time enough for me to read a short story. "The Plutonian Drug" is available online here:

Although the first page is cropped out there's enough remnant to tell the story. The part where a crystaloid changes into a colloid piques my interest as to whether the process is possible in real life. Thank you.

Your welcome. :)

The Website The Eldritch Dark has all of Clark Ashton Smiths stories complete and listed alphabetically. You can find that entire story there. He wrote science fiction . fantasy and horror . One his short stories The Vaults of Yoh Vombus was one the literary inspirations for the 1979 film Alien. Richard Corben did ga raphic novel adaptation of this . My favorite story by Smith Is The City of The Singing Flame . It's magnificent story and he wrote Sequel to it Beyond The Singing Flame. :cool:

The book by France Stevens is a science dystopian novel. Stevens is pretty much a forgotten writer, which sad because she's terrific. :cool:

Last edited:
"The City of The Singing Flame" was finished by me moments ago. The story starts with an editorial paean to Poe, which is apropos given the resemblance "Singing Flame" bears to "A Tale of the Ragged Mountains" by Poe.

"Singing Flame" hooked me enough to want to see what happens in the sequel, which is available here:

Last edited:
"The City of The Singing Flame" was finished by me moments ago. The story starts with an editorial paean to Poe, which is apropos given the resemblance "Singing Flame" bears to "A Tale of the Ragged Mountains" by Poe.

"Singing Flame" hooked me enough to want to see what happens in the sequel, which is available here:

Clark Ashton Smith's best friends were H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard . They corresponded back forth via letters. As far as I can tell , none of them ever met one another face to face .

Last edited:
This is a great little thread and an excellent use of the forum! So good to see some recs immediately followed up positively.

(I “ought” to read more CAS too)

"The City of The Singing Flame" is available here:

I'll read it tomorrow. Thank you again.

Born of the Sun by Jack Williamson short story was adapted for the comic Starstream Adventures in Science fiction #3 1976. Ive only read an except of the story and thought it quite good and thought the sotyr has very interesting premise. Ive read comic book adaptation 43 years ago ant it. left an impression on me. at then time I didn't know what it was based on, I had not payed attention to that when d I read it. Ive never seen the actual full story in print but it's in a fe anthogoes. collection one of I think was a Jim Baen collection.

This is a great little thread and an excellent use of the forum! So good to see some recs immediately followed up positively.

(I “ought” to read more CAS too)

He was a great and wonderfully inventive writer, one the best of all time . Clark Ashton Smith's prose and poetry are very rich, deep, powerful and subtle. When I read him , I can visualize everything, settings and characters ect. There is no one quite like him.

Last edited: