Editing Cover Art with Microsoft Paint Problem

Aquilonian

Supporter
OK I just wasted an hour trying to do something very simple in Microsoft Paint 3D. I made a cover illustration but wanted to add text (title etc) and a few tiny touches to the artwork. I did this in Paint 3D because ordinary Microsoft Paint didn't have big enough font size.

But I cannot find any way of exporting the file out of Paint as a jpeg or whatever with the same definition as the original file which I've been working on. Every time I try to save it it saves only as quite a low definition.

Is there a way around this in Paint, or better still is there a different free programme I could use simply to scan a high quality drawing and add text over it like on a book cover?

I do not want to buy and learn Corel Painter or any similar programme as that is way beyond my needs.

OK I think I solved it myself, used addtext.com to add the text I wanted, this can then be downloaded as a jpg which can then be edited in paint as it is. I think it was cos I using paint 3D I couldn't export it, think maybe there's a premium version of paint 3D that they want you to buy, but let you get into using the free version first and then find you have to buy the premium for it to be any use.

I've never used MS paint (can't speak to the 3d aspect) since I always found it to be too simplistic and limited. That said, I use what was the original version of what is Photoshop called Photo Deluxe Business Edition 1.1 (1999). Photoshop 4 home is identical, the big shift happened with PS7. In any case, what in your second post is how I do all my text. I add the text (as text) get it to size, shape, then copy that text and make a new JPG. I then bring it back in, remove the background, and now I can really work with it without it being stuck in the text editor.

I have a number of examples if you're curious. The big trick is having the various layers which PDBE or PS grants, plus they're MUCH more versitile and controllable than MSP. They're both very out of date programs. So, if MS paint isn't working for you, you might be able to find them...

K2

The best* free software for graphics is the GNU Image Manipulation Program also known as GIMP

There are loads of tutorials out there, so whatever you need to do, there's probably a guide somewhere

* Yes, I know Best is subjective, but I've yet to find another free one that comes close

The best* free software for graphics is the GNU Image Manipulation Program also known as GIMP
There are loads of tutorials out there, so whatever you need to do, there's probably a guide somewhere
* Yes, I know Best is subjective, but I've yet to find another free one that comes close

Have it, though the learning curve (which I guess I need to invest in) was why I never jumped to later versions of PS. They changed all the terminology and added so many (I'm sure awesome) features, that it feels overwhelming when you want to get something finished.

Time I make time I suppose, but I'd second your suggestion.

K2

I find the the best way to get used to GIMP is experiment with it to see what it can do or what features you can use. I wouldn't just jump in there with a particular goal in mind, as it will probably be not what you expected. Not until you know what you are doing anyway. I use paint for what it is worth, but most of the features are half features. If I want to quickly check out an idea and be satisfied with a rough draft I am not going to finish, paint works good for that.