Air Pollution from increased bonfires during Coronovirus

I maintain a previously neglected 5 acre wood behind my house. Lots of mature trees and saplings. Lots of stuff falls over or off. I clear up, cut down, thin, pollard, cut and lay hedges. Split and stack homegrown firewood, and inevitably have regular large bonfires throughout the year to get rid of the small branches, sweepings, brambles, and the rotten wood that is no good for burning indoors. Basically stuff that will not go on the compost heap. I view this as part of a sustainable ecosystem in equilibrium ( in fact more productive under active management) and one that has a useful output, as well as being amazingly therapeutic.
I had to Google 'pollard' as I don't think I've ever seen it used as a word, I thought it was a surname

Do need to leave some dead wood on the ground for beetles. Important part of the ecosystem.

Regarding bonfires, my father was a bonfire fanatic but very considerate to the neighbours. He only burnt stuff when it was super-dry so barely any smoke and he'd wait until the wind was in the direction with fewest or no neighbours (not possible for everyone I know, but some people seem utterly unaware of wind direction). He would also either wait until no-one had washing out, or knock on doors several houses either side to let them know so they could take the washing in and shut windows. His bonfires weren't that frequent as he was even more keen on building compost heaps and very rarely bought any compost from a garden centre.
We're pretty rural but yesterday had an inconsiderate bonfire burner - there is a widely spaced scatter of houses down the lane - about 6 houses over half a mile. Somebody further down picked yesterday, when the wind was blowing up the road, to have a stinky bonfire and thereby ensuring every single house got a share. Waiting until the wind was blowing across the road, would have been so much more civilised.
But other than that, the fewer bonfires the better.
Tidiness is over-rated. Never sure with bonfires whether it is tidiness or pyrophylia.

Last edited:
I used to have a neighbour I got on pretty well with but he did have one failing. He liked to get drunk, dig a pit in his garden and start a fire in it. It all came to a stop the day he dug up a WW1 grenade and a number of bullets whilst digging his latest pit. It’s the only time I’ve been evacuated from my home by the bomb squad.

P.S. The neighbour in question also built a motorbike in his living room for some unfathomable reason. :unsure:

I used to work with an engineer who rebuilt a sports car engine in his front room - he did live on his own.... I think the front room was actually rigged as a workshop and was obviously warmer than the garage...... He rebuilt an entire sports car by the end of it, smaller fiddly chunks in the front room, final assembly in the garage. He started by buying two cars - one with the bodywork destroyed in a crash with a good engine, the other with a burnt out engine but good bodywork.

There has been an increase in river pollution, apparently due to an increase in DIY and people disposing of paints and other poisonous substances incorrectly.

I was on the phone to the Wildlife Incident Investigation Scheme for 45 minutes yesterday, reporting lots of dead wildlife I've seen recently, including rodents, a heron, a rabbit and a gull. I don't think that's related to the river thing but also hope people aren't poisoning animals. :(

Mmm. Being a pedant but no. If all carbon went into the ground, all life on earth would cease to exist. Everything is based on carbon.

Sequester as much carbon as is possible from the sudden surplus released by the burning of fossil fuels, over the last couple of centuries, yes.

There has been an increase in river pollution, apparently due to an increase in DIY and people disposing of paints and other poisonous substances incorrectly.

I was on the phone to the Wildlife Incident Investigation Scheme for 45 minutes yesterday, reporting lots of dead wildlife I've seen recently, including rodents, a heron, a rabbit and a gull. I don't think that's related to the river thing but also hope people aren't poisoning animals. :(

In the roads around Bridgnorth there are usually a couple new of 'road kill' badgers every week.

The interesting thing is that they're never in the middle of the road, where you'd expect, but always to one side in the gutter. It's blatantly obvious that someone is poisoning and dumping them.

In the roads around Bridgnorth there are usually a couple new of 'road kill' badgers every week.

The interesting thing is that they're never in the middle of the road, where you'd expect, but always to one side in the gutter. It's blatantly obvious that someone is poisoning and dumping them.
If that's the case, has it been reported? They can be tested for cause of death, which if poisoned, could lead to an investigation. It's also possible someone has moved the bodies to the side of the road. A dead badger (in the road) caused part of my car's exhaust to fall off when I had no choice but to drive over it.

Badgers are the 'Keystone cops' of the animal kingdom, they seem to recklessly charge into traffic all over the country

Interesting the bit about reporting seeing dead badgers to the Badger Trust so that they can start to mitigate road accident hot spots.

Back