Writer Output/Duration: Fan Enthusiasm/Exhaustion

J-Sun

This is intended to be a sort of grab bag thread of semi-free association. In Bick's Collective Chronicles Reading Experience - Have We Read Everything? thread, the subject of Cherryh came up and that got me to thinking about writers who write a whole lot for a long time (and those who don't). There have also been recent threads about prolific (non-SF) writers or writers you'd read everything of. I was just interested in people's thoughts and experiences about anything related to this (in SF/F). Are there writers you have or intend to read everything of? Are there authors you were a huge fan of who you don't read much anymore (and why)? Who have you read for the longest span (either relative to the author's career or your own life) or greatest number? What's the ideal frequency or number of books from an author for you as a fan? Does an author's prolific or un-prolific nature affect how you think of them in any way? Any sort of discussion about those sorts of questions. :)

in the 60s, you could conceivably read most major SF writers work. Or so it seemed. Then the explosion of Fantasy/SF crossover happened, and since then well gosh it's all a bit much to take in, innit?

I struggle when trying to read a series of books one after the other and will often break up a series in order to keep the reading fresh. It's not that I loose interest, but it can be monotonous reading the same author after a while. I'm not too bothered by how prolific a writer is, as long as the quality is there.

As for writers I intend to read everything of? I will tend to read a series rather than obsessively read everything that the author has written.

Iain M. Banks comes immediately to mind. I still have Matter, The Algebreist, Surface Detail and The Hydrogen Sonata still to read. What I have read of his fiction work I have enjoyed, but I probably wouldn't try and complete them.

As a teenager, I would read anything I could find written by Edmund Cooper.

Neal Asher's Polity books. I have read most of them and thoroughly enjoyed them. I have been saving Line War, The Warship and The Human so that I can read them back to back. I'll consider the Owner series later.

F. Paul Wilson's "Secret History" books. This includes the Adversary Cycle and The Repairman Jack books. I read around 20 of his last year and thoroughly enjoyed them. He has two coming out this year, so I am looking forward to reading them.

Time permitting, I would like to finish Ben Bova's "Grand Tour" series of books. I read many of them in the 90's and early 00's but stopped for some reason.

If I love a short story, I'll seek out other short stories by that author, especially those with the same world or characters (such as Chris Willrich's Gaunt and Bone series). They're in a series of novels too, but as I don't read many novels at all, I'm not interested in reading those. If I do read the first novel of a series and enjoy it, I want to read the rest. The exception being if they have millions of books, like Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Then I prefer to dip in at any point in the series rather than attempting to read them all. Even once a year would be too prolific for me novel-wise. I have hundreds of short stories on my to-read list, but at least they're easier to manage.

I could relate it more to music. I'm a Ludovico Einaudi fan and used to look forward to his new albums. However, he released seven albums last year. I stopped at 3 or 4. I can also be overwhelmed when a favourite band releases a double album, like The Lees of Memory did a couple of years ago.

Both music and reading are pleasurable, and I wouldn't want to risk putting pressure on myself to listen to or read everything I want to. It's just not possible. So although I'm overwhelmed at times, I try to take a relaxed approach.

I'm the type to binge something full-on and really dive into it, rather then mix them up. So if I find something that really works for me I'll just keep reading that til it's done or I get side-tracked, then move on. Saves me from decision-making! :LOL: Besides, I'm a sucker for detailed, complex world-building and that often means long series. There's really only two very prolific authors I have read a lot of (Anne McCaffrey and David Weber.)

With Anne McCaffrey I was blown away by Dragonriders in my early 20s; I got comfortable with the writing style and she had both fantasy and sci-fi to choose from, so it was easy to pick up another of her series. I met her at a con once, very near the end of her life and career. There's only a few series of hers I never got around to reading. School, work and life kind of took over and I had a few years where I didn't read for leisure at all. I never stopped being a fan, I moved on to other things and forgot... My tastes have changed a lot since then but I'm still interested.

During a time I was super busy with school and work, and hadn't read anything else in years, I found myself on a long camping vacation. I borrowed a book which happened to be the first of Weber's Honor Harrington series. Over the next couple years on vacations and winter breaks, I caught up on that series and had to wait for him to write the next book. If I had time while waiting, I would start on some of his other series, but never finished them. So I think I read almost exclusively Weber for over 10 years! o_O (If you don't count Harry Potter series which came out during that time.) With Weber I really did get burned out, but also I liked the Honorverse main series and short stories much better than the spin-offs and other series that I'd had high hopes for. I'd met him too at a book signing. (Hmm that was a hoot, to go out and meet other fans and artists. But to be fair its hard to do in a pandemic.)

There's so much classic sci-fi I haven't read but would like to. I tend to watch TV/movies when I'm working a lot, and read SFF when I have more down time. There's so much out there now, it's getting harder and harder to choose!

in the 60s, you could conceivably read most major SF writers work. Or so it seemed. Then the explosion of Fantasy/SF crossover happened, and since then well gosh it's all a bit much to take in, innit?

This is true but, on the other hand, it's probably easier to keep up with certain subsets. For instance, I've often looked at the Locus lists of new books and they generally have a one-line pigeon hole for them: urban fantasy, fourth in a series; technothriller, second in a series; YA SF, ninth in a series. There are rarely any that just say "science fiction novel" for instance. So that wouldn't be too hard to keep up with. :)

I struggle when trying to read a series of books one after the other and will often break up a series in order to keep the reading fresh. It's not that I loose interest, but it can be monotonous reading the same author after a while. [...] Neal Asher's Polity books. I have read most of them and thoroughly enjoyed them. I have been saving Line War, The Warship and The Human so that I can read them back to back. I'll consider the Owner series later.

Yeah, I sometimes do that - a bit of a binge, then a bit of a break. I sometimes just skip from one thing to the other or go on a massive binge, but it's usually little patterns. When you stop in the middle, do you ever have trouble picking up again? I know, speaking of Asher, that The Technician opens with a character and I'm mystified as to whether I'm supposed to know who he is from other books - he seems kind of familiar, but I can't place him.

As a teenager, I would read anything I could find written by Edmund Cooper.

Is that a case of outgrowing him or something in him changing? Or did you just run out?

Time permitting, I would like to finish Ben Bova's "Grand Tour" series of books. I read many of them in the 90's and early 00's but stopped for some reason.

I'm right there with you. I read Bova long ago, then stopped, then got back into him again (loved Mars, though not Return to Mars so much) and bought a truckload of books that I've only managed to read a few of, but I want to get to them. There's a Simak rediscovery thread; maybe we should have one for Bova.

If I love a short story, I'll seek out other short stories by that author, especially those with the same world or characters (such as Chris Willrich's Gaunt and Bone series).

Yep, that's how I discovered a lot of writers - reading the magazines and anthologies. Most novelists aren't really "real" writers to me unless they've published short fiction. Unfortunately, these days, while I have come across some people I like, I just read too much short SF I can't stand to wade through it anymore. Right now, there's still plenty of stuff to read (and there will always be stuff to re-read) but I wonder what will happen if I stop finding new authors.

If I do read the first novel of a series and enjoy it, I want to read the rest. The exception being if they have millions of books, like Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Then I prefer to dip in at any point in the series rather than attempting to read them all. Even once a year would be too prolific for me novel-wise. I have hundreds of short stories on my to-read list, but at least they're easier to manage.

How does that work for you? Like I say, I sometimes get lost in series where I'm supposed to know what's going on. The only time I can remember jumping in, off-hand, was reading the end of Aldiss' Helliconia trilogy and that didn't work so well. (At least, I didn't like it.)

I could relate it more to music. I'm a Ludovico Einaudi fan and used to look forward to his new albums. However, he released seven albums last year. I stopped at 3 or 4. I can also be overwhelmed when a favourite band releases a double album, like The Lees of Memory did a couple of years ago.

Both music and reading are pleasurable, and I wouldn't want to risk putting pressure on myself to listen to or read everything I want to. It's just not possible. So although I'm overwhelmed at times, I try to take a relaxed approach.

Exactly. Multiple releases within a year are just unmanageable. I mean, in a way, an author or musician might just have a lot to say and hopes someone will hear it. Or they want or need to make a lot of money. But there are some people I'm a fan of who I want to know fairly comprehensively and it's usually impossible. So you do sometimes have to let it go. Problem is, while I can casually get a book from someone here and there, when I've gone on a dedicated run and it stops for whatever reason, I often lose track of them altogether.

I'm the type to binge something full-on and really dive into it, rather then mix them up. [...] So I think I read almost exclusively Weber for over 10 years!

Wow! That's dedication. I'm not sure what the longest I've read one SF/F author has been, but probably not more than a month or so. :)

I've read all but the final book in the main Honorverse series (that last book is waiting for me on my Kindle), and all of the published Charles Stross novels, but I'm not really a completist with regard to authors. (I do like to see the eventual destination of a series I've really got into -- hence the Honorverse main series and the various Stross series -- but I'm wary of following through on a series unless it's hooked me deeply from book one and hasn't looked like it's fizzling out.) EDIT: I did read The Dark Tower series.

Music, however....
However, he released seven albums last year.
On the one hand, you're safer with a dead composer: few "new" "albums". On the other hand, you may end up with a very prolific composer** who not only inspired and inspires people to record the whole of one part of his oeuvre, but who has written many pieces of which there are many interpretations out there.

** - Which is the boat I'm in: I have all of pianist Leslie Howard's original*** "complete solo piano works of Liszt" collection (which, in its 94 full-length CDs, also throws in the 17 concertante piano works), and quite a few recordings of some of the individual pieces (and also multiple recordings of other types of work: symphonies, symphonic poems, other orchestral works, oratorios, songs...). But I suppose it gives me something to listen to (together with the CDs of works by many other composers). But at least I bought every CD (or set of CDs) from a shop (without pre-ordering), which put some restraint both on what was available and what I could carry back on the train from London. (I've so far resisted buying CDs online... but only because I know I'd start ordering too many of them.)

*** - There are three supplementary CDs, apparently, which I haven't got yet (so the temptation of online ordering of CDs won't go away...).

I've found whatever novels I've read as part of a series/world work standalone. Not that there are many I've read. I can only really think of Pratchett off the top of my head. I remember reading Wolf's Brother by Megan Lindholm and it didn't seem like I needed to know anything from the first book (I think it was the second of two), and it's one of my favourite books. It's like films, I've seen some sequels before the original or a previous version and it worked fine. I think an author (in most cases) has to start off a sequel assuming readers haven't read the previous story, or at the very least, read it so long ago they've forgotten a lot about it. I didn't read the Chris Willrich Gaunt & Bone shorts I mentioned in order, and it was over a period of 2 or 3 years. There are still a couple I haven't read.

Musically, if I discover an artist that has a back catalogue of three or more albums, I find it best to concentrate on the album that attracted me, occasionally listening to one other. Then before I know it, I'm surprisingly familiar with their back catalogue! Seeing them live also helps, like some of my favourite Wilco songs have come from being live highlights (Wilco have eleven studio albums plus other releases).

I've noticed TV soaps are quite interesting in that you can start to pick things up pretty quickly. Even if you watch a soap then don't see it for months, it's quite familiar when you return. There must be something for writers to analyse there.

Back