HBO's Lovecraft Country

Tic's toothy new buddy made quick work of the cops. What's Tic going to do with him now? Put him on a chain, keep him under the stairs and call him Spotty?

Yeah. Well, if he cannot get invulnerability then Spotty is a good alternative for protection. Magic works on them, but you saw that the Captain couldn't do nuffin when the Soggoth released his anger. I wonder how much monthly food bill is going to be and is it going to fussy over what it eats?

I chuckled when Tic asked his "Dad" if he had any other secrets he hadn't revealed.

There's probably loads since he has grown custom to keep his business, his business. Just alone how did know how to pronounce Adam's language is a mystery. It's not like it's natural for the afroamericans to speak in ancient, lost tongues.

I'd say: "Have some patience, man!" This series is very different from the normal stuff. It goes constantly towards dark and in occasions there's Preacher like carnage. Things happen in extreme way and it seems that the series is coming to an end with the future not looking so rosy for the lead star. Overall, I'd give it seven and half out of ten. Two and half points deducted because there's not enough of Lovecraftian monsters.

I also do admit that it is hard to watch with the racist angle turned up to eleven.
Ah we're done with it. Watched Ratched instead. That was good

Reactions: ctg
EE3uES7.jpg

Beautiful and very dark episode.

I am not surprised that the end result of Dee's curse made the cast once again to shout each other. I take it as their norm, even though I wish they could be more civil. Then again, maybe they can't because the end result of Lovecraftian magic is not pretty. And healing one with another Lovecraftian spell, what could possibly happen?

Thing is I wondered how they were going to explain Soggoth going rampant outside Leti's house and killing all of the police. There can't be many of them left. But wiping out a whole department would have brought in the FBI.

So, a big plot hole, but explained. A gas explosion done by an oversized dog with too many eyes. But I wonder what they had done to hide the boy? Did it went back underground, even though Soggoth's are meant to be floating around, looking creepy.

I also know that I recommended fighting the demons. Dee did it and paid the price. So, Christina is right, she could do things, but fighting magic with magic is unpredictable. The end result could be even more horrifying.

It surprised me that the curse was bonded in the item that the Captain kept in the desk draw and the captain was at his end from getting bit by Spotty. I guess he ain't as powerful as he think he is. Then again maybe that same thing should apply to Christina.

She explained that the power of magic corrupted her father and all the other powerful people, "who thought they could use magic to bend the world to their will." Maybe Christina is wise enough to not get corrupted by the power of magic. Still, she is seeking immortality, which either might be a way to become one of the great ones or a curse that renders her to something she doesn't see coming.

Funny how Tic's gang decided to use Ruby's multiverse machine to get back in 1921, to day when Montrose witnessed a massacre. The ultimate expression of racism. A trial of genocide.

When we will learn that we are all humans? There is no need to fight each other. We can all live in peace and doing something that we haven't achieved, yet.

It was kind of ominous when Ruby asked them to "not change the future."

There was no way that Montrose wasn't going to act on his knowledge about what happened, and how it lead to events later on in the future. It was always in the cards.

In Tic's shoes I would have probably acted the same way, because what happened wasn't right. Then again, that world isn't ours. It's something else even if Ruby believes its her primary world.

Will they able to save Dee with the Book of Names?

Here I am trying to make sense of the magic and multi-dimension elements of this series, and they go and throw time travel into the mix.
I was shouting at Tic that he was the mysterious guy with the bat, but he had to nearly trip over the thing before it hit him -- and he hit them. Funny how not intervening would have been the timeline spoiler, not staying out of the fray.
Leti appears to be every bit as fireproof as the Mother of Dragons. I was wondering if the dusty, old Book of Names was equally fire-retardant.
Because the book was apparently destroyed in the fire of 1921, what saved it this time?
Did Leti's protective spell extend a magic shield over anything she held? If so, why didn't it save Grandma?
Doesn't saving such a powerful tome and bringing it back to the future risk considerably more timeline mayhem than saving a life might have done?
Traveling back in time is always fraught with paradox -- unless you're a pair of docs from Gallifrey.

In Lovecraft Country’s fourth episode, “A History of Violence,” Atticus, Leti, and Montrose journey to a Boston museum where, unbeknownst to most of the general public, a secret vault containing a number of Titus Braithwhite’s pages from the Book of Adam is hidden deep beneath the ground. When the intrepid trio manages to enter the vault, they find Titus’ pages, but that’s not all.

Atticus, Leti, and Montrose are horrified enough when they see that Titus’ pages are trapped beneath a mummified corpse that’s eerily seated at a table within the vault. But the episode becomes that much more alarming when the corpse begins moving and transforms from an emaciated husk back into a living, breathing person: Yahima (played by Monique Candelaria), a two spirit character who wasn’t in Matt Ruff’s novel but was added to the show as a means of building out Lovecraft Country’s mythos.

Apologies for a late answer. I didn't mean to ignore this, it just slipped out of my mind.
Leti appears to be every bit as fireproof as the Mother of Dragons. I was wondering if the dusty, old Book of Names was equally fire-retardant.

Because the book was apparently destroyed in the fire of 1921, what saved it this time?

Did Leti's protective spell extend a magic shield over anything she held? If so, why didn't it save Grandma?

Doesn't saving such a powerful tome and bringing it back to the future risk considerably more timeline mayhem than saving a life might have done?

I think the evidence is in the scene. In the dreams, both Leti and Tic are fully clothed, standing in the fires and not catching fire, even though you'd think it would happen regardless. The grandma in the dreams escaped that destiny while the fire spread behind her heels and she's invulnerable at the end.

You look Leti's flimsy dress. First getting shot. No damage. And then getting burned. No damage. Bombed, the same thing. So, scientifically speaking that itself proofs that the spell extends to the material person is having on their person. Being it a book they are carrying or a dress they are wearing.

You could probably soak your hair with a flammable product and look absolutely fabulous while standing on top of a lit bonfire. However, hypothetically speaking, the magic should make all the difference. It could counter the spell and provide a way for the physics to work.

Remember that the science is all about taking notes and proving things time and again.

I was initially shocked by that murder, but I figured any entity who was brought back to life once could be re-reanimated. Apparently not.

Never say never. It might still happen and as the foxy lady and her were added characters, it could still happen. Reanimator is Lovecraft.

l79JyHe.jpg

I am so confused by these spells. How reciting one can take you in the spirit world to talk to your ancestors? It just doesn't make sense. And even less that the grandma thought the words to break the curse.

But I'm glad that Tic finally understood that the future isn't set in the stone. It is always fluctuating, never being fully set to be whatever we want it to be. Thing is, when Leti fell on the floor I thought that they were suddenly sisters, maybe even twins, before I understood that it's Atticus blood in her belly doing the work.

Funny thing is that when they brought back the man who started it all, he said it's my book and the grandma sited: "What's stole ain't yours!" Effectively that counters what she earlier, the book and its spell doesn't belong to Atticus bloodline, even if it one stuff that makes things work.

Even more ironic is that Tic murdered Titus the grandpa for unknown reasons. Almost as if it was part of the deal to fight Christina.

R9cO0lV.jpg

I really didn't think this would happen, that Tic would go back with a proverbial hat in hand and tell her that what they had between each other was real. The talk he should have had in the first time, admitting on everything that he'd done and to understand that the reality is more complicated than the image you have in your mind.

It's just I hate that he's confession was wrapped in a need. We all have needs, but we never ever should use them for nefarious reasons. Let's be honest what their side and Christina is doing is part of a war, and Christina isn't explaining why she needs to live forever.

In the Altered Carbon Meth's did it so that they could remain in power forever. Maybe immortality shouldn't be granted to the humanity until we have learned the lessons, whatever they are. It's just time after time corruption wins and things turn bad.

kzBIsxu.jpg

Christina said, "If one part of the spell is wrong..." something truly terrible could happen. When Ruby gave the 'blood' to Leti I thought it wouldn't happen, because she's in love with Christina. She has been corrupted by the grand power Christina holds. Something that Leti never possessed.

But I never guessed that she would end up killing Let in the process.

Thing is, it changes the future, because the young one - the Author - also died. What I didn't see is that Chrstina's spell brought her back as Tic's spirit left his body. When the Foxy lady connected Tic and Christina together I understood her role. The whole binding spell was a revenge, but to claim that no white person in world could use the magic again is a bold statement.

So...

...what was all of it all worth? I don't know. I doubt there's going to be another season, because what there would be when the writers didn't leave nothing open. I know that I've asked to not to repeat the old trope of putting in a cliffhanger, but I didn't expect them to leave nothing open.

Maybe it's a good thing, because then we don't have to waddle through more racism and all that package coming with it. Overall I'd give this series six out of ten. Four deducted for overwhelming racism, the lack of Lovecraftian monsters, the shouting and the scenes that really pushed the boundaries of the disbelief.

At the end I'd a meh feeling. Not the most excited feeling to be honest. What did you thought about it?

Too much magic, not enough monsters.
I read a recap of the finale that noted the show had put viewers through a lot of pain for an unsatisfying ending. I agree.
The series served as a stark and depressing look at racism in the U.S., but not much else. The magic spells might make sense to those with enough ambition to minutely analyze them, but I don't know if that would be worth effort.
I don't think I will watch another season, unless, of course, I am again locked into my home. ;)

I laughed out loud at the opening, with George and Leti "moving on up" to The Jeffersons theme song in the luxury of their new lodge digs --no evidence of lingering psychological trauma after their horrific trip to the lodge. I had a feeling that Tic's reaction was going to be radically contrasting.
This episode seemed to complete what I expected to be a much longer story -- Dad/Uncle Montrose's rescue, Leti's death/resurrection, portal opening failure, Samuel's demise, Tic's escape, lodge destruction and Uncle/Dad George's death. I guessing Christina also survived the carnage, as she seemed to be bonding with Tic to foreshadow future developments.
All of this left me wondering what's coming next. Is Lovecraft Country going to be a series of chapters loosely linked by Tic's magic blood?
Just watched episode 2 last night... and, sorry, but I'm out. Episode 1 was interesting, with the supernatural element almost a footnote to the racial story and the characters' journey. Episode 2 was rushed, like 3 episodes squashed together, with no time for any sense of mystery, suspense or horror to linger. Breathless nonsense. Fortunately, I can bow out now and not in 6/8 weeks' time.