Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Finally finished season two-- only a year late to the party.

While I generally enjoyed this round, I still feel that it’s a mistake to put what would otherwise be a supporting character in the lead role. Maybe it’s simply because, in all the other ST series, the lead character is the fictional leader. I know it’s not a gender thing, because I really liked kick-ass Captain Janeway.

Burnham seems highly dependent on the rest of the cast, which may just be more different than wrong. Several other characters, including Captain Pike, Saru and Georgiou, could easily step into the lead. Even Tilly might work better than Burnham.

It’s a noble characteristic of true leaders to accept responsibility for problems which may have been caused by others under their command. Burnham pushes that trait to the point where it seems that she is determined to become a martyr.

On the plus side, Burnham made a great time-traveling red angel. On the minus side, Melissa George is certainly no Susan Oliver.

I thought (and read) that the idea was that it was deliberately being different in that respect. Burnham is not meant to be a leader, never mind a "true leader." She is the protagonist of this story, but she is only one of the main players aboard the ship. It isn't the story of the ship, but of her and her family. She doesn't need to be well liked, or noble, or good and kind, or to make great decisions, and she is a complex character with complex relationships. My problem isn't with the fact that they decided to do that, but with the decision to call it Star Trek: Discovery. The should have called it Star Trek: Michael Burnham if that is what it is, and avoided the confusion that is caused by people expecting something else. However, it is what it is, and the second season was an improvement on the mushrooms.

1588733685235.png

I wouldn't know, being Dutch. ;) .
Though I could name a few Dutch TV-stations who didn't mind abandoning running TV-series when it suited them.

I wouldn't know, being Dutch. ;) .
Though I could name a few Dutch TV-stations who didn't mind abandoning running TV-series when it suited them.
So annoying! They stopped airing Stargate mid season 9.
And Farscape, the uncensored version(sex, guts and dismemberment galore!), aired on saturdays round about 15 between "The Tribe" and "The Lost World". Alas that too wasn't aired completely, stopping at season 3.

So annoying! They stopped airing Stargate mid season 9.
And Farscape, the uncensored version(sex, guts and dismemberment galore!), aired on saturdays round about 15 between "The Tribe" and "The Lost World". Alas that too wasn't aired completely, stopping at season 3.
Exactly! I was thinking about Farscape's fate when posting this.

Back