Photographing and tips

Followed! I'm lizzie.butterworth

Followed and hope to see more Instagram networking among visually oriented writers and readers.

Cat in a tree-4742.jpg

© Alan Aspie

The cat is asking you all to check my Instapage.

Shoot symbols!

Shoot what does not exist in material world. Make it exist. Then shoot it.

In one of my previous posts you see a cherry heart. And here is a plum heart, a real life emoji.

Plum heart likings-5483.jpg

©Alan Aspie (here, not my real name of course)

And here is Smiley as a golden hair princess.

Emoji Princess Smiley blinking2-5507.jpg

©Alan Aspie

Both started their existence when I planned and shot them. And now they are real. And more will come.

And you will find these and some more from my Insta feed.

Highlight your experiences.

Make your photographing part of your life in a very enjoyable and meaningful way.

I woke 2 of my kids last night near midnight. Told them to clothe up and take their gear. We jumped to our car and drove far from city lights. And then we waited. Something started to appear. And something more. And more...

Those two kids saw Northern Lights first time in their life. And they photographed Norther Lights first time - like me too. We we full of adrenaline, experiencing strong emotions together. Shared hobby - photographing - highlighted that experience.

And what did we capture?

With zero understanding, knowledge or experience about photographing Aurora Borealis we got photos like this.

Aurora Borealis-6177.jpg

©Alan Aspie

This is a photo I just threw to my Insta account. But the experience of sharing those moments with my kids... Those are in my heart.

more photos about environment, characters and symbolism in my Instaboard.

Learn your environment.

Pay attention to light, nature, urban stuff, rural stuff, people, animals, seasons, colours, changes, symbolic and emotional stuff.

When you know your environment, you know when and where to go and what to take with you.

Ruska at Majauslahti2-6109.jpg

©Alan Aspie

Think it all the way before shooting.

I saw a half dead orchid on some place. Only one of the flowers was ok. The only lights in that room were one old fashion light bulb + window. It was cloudy outside.

I screwed a monopod to my camera. (Sirui P-326 carbon fiber model which I highly recommend.) I took 100mm 2.8 IS macro lens. I put the flower so that coudy sky lighted it from the back and 2700K bulb gave some yellow light from above.

I exposured it so that I protected highlights in the sky + some more. That was because I wanted to have some extra room to rise contrast - a lot. I wanted to make it a bit high keyish but couldn't get it all the way to high key.

And here's what I got. One of the three pics I saved.

Orkidea lähes high key 3-6654.jpg

©Alan Aspie

The point of my text is that I had to think light, shooting and editing before shooting. That was the only way I could do it in those conditions.

You don't need expenive kit. This was taken on an ancient £5 digimax with a tiny lens yet the simple dandelion head pops with colour and detail
(right click, 'open in new tab' and maximise for full size

Dandelion head.jpg

An image (credit yahoo! news article) from Heathrow to the city, a distance of 20 miles demonstrating the dramatic apparent foreshortening effect of a telephoto. ( I say apparent because you could look at the center of a wide angle shot from here and it would look the same.)
3beb1a6edcd41de37681a078c0978000