Batwoman

Id like to see the CW give a live action Constantine series a second chance . I think thwart has the live live action series been on the CW, it would still be on the air.

True, it could definitely have worked, but I think Constantine benefited from being on the gritter side and CW doesn't tend to do that well (being largely YA targeted).

Even if on another network, from what I've seen, the pure DC characters don't translate well to live action at all (I say pure because Hellblazer was under their Vertigo branding which has also spun off Lucifer and Preacher). Even Nolan's Batman trilogy wasn't great (I did really like the first one and the second was good, but don't get me started on the plot holed mess of number three).

True, it could definitely have worked, but I think Constantine benefited from being on the gritter side and CW doesn't tend to do that well (being largely YA targeted).

Even if on another network, from what I've seen, the pure DC characters don't translate well to live action at all (I say pure because Hellblazer was under their Vertigo branding which has also spun off Lucifer and Preacher). Even Nolan's Batman trilogy wasn't great (I did really like the first one and the second was good, but don't get me started on the plot holed mess of number three).

Sadly, \my knowledge of graphic novels and comics is weak to say the least. I know the basics but that's about it. Before the Keau Revive film, I had never before heard of Constantine before. Nor Lucifer art Preacher before their subsequent tv series incarnations .

I don't know how true this but many who have foundtheur to fantsy and science fction did so because of Comics and Graphic novels. I wasn't one of those who did so. The two wrier which got me interested were Robert E Howard and Harlan Ellison.

Id like to see the CW give a live action Constantine series a second chance . I think thwart has the live live action series been on the CW, it would still be on the air.
I'd prefer that to them forcing Constantine into Legends of Tomorrow where he feels out of place.

DC has/had a ton of shows, though I wasn't too sold on any of them. Tried watching the Flash and Supergirl shows and lost interest real quick. Batwoman got awful reviews (plus I don't even enjoy her character in the comics) from pretty much everyone I trust, and even people that I don't. I'm too daggone busy these days to check out any more formulaic superhero shows/movies, and I'm a comic fan from way back!

I was interested in the Swamp Thing show, being a HUGE fan of Alan Moore's run on that book, but not sure how much Moore-ism's they injected into it, if any. Shame it got cancelled, though. Swampy is an amazing character with a lot of potential and crossover appeal, but it would really take the right people to make it great.

The producers have already indicated that they intend to re-cast the role. So the character of Kate Kane will remain, but she'll be played by someone else. It's probably an easier solution than introducing a new lead character.

They could do the same thing the did in season 9 of Dallas. It was all a dream. :D

I just don't get it.

We had the lousy, "Agents of SHIELD," the dreadful, "Smallville," and now a series so bad, the lead character quit.

I think we need someone to sit in an office, until some hack comes up with another stupid idea, and give him a sharp slap - preferably with a monkey-wrench.

The producers have already indicated that they intend to re-cast the role. So the character of Kate Kane will remain, but she'll be played by someone else. It's probably an easier solution than introducing a new lead character.
They've changed their minds on this. An all new character will be introduced.

They've changed their minds on this. An all new character will be introduced.

Yeah, I saw the report the other day. Somehow, I can't help feeling it's the wrong choice. It's not as though the show is an ensemble piece, where swapping out and replacing a character is fairly easy.

I mean, if Patrick Stewart had decided to leave Star Trek:TNG at the end of season 1, then he could have been replaced by another captain with barely a ripple. But this entire show revolves around the character of Kate Kane. The main villain is her sister, her father's the head of the police (sort of), all of the other major characters are either her family or her exes. The only character who doesn't have a personal relationship with her is Luke Fox. To suddenly remove that character from the show is going to create a massive hole.

I could understand it if they'd gone through an audition process for re-casting the character and decided that they couldn't find anyone suitable to replace Rose as Kate Kane. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Whilst re-casting the role would be awkward, the audience would be likely to roll with it, especially if the new actor was an improvement on Rose.

Ultimately, it's all going to come down to how well the writers execute the change and the reasons they give for it. Looking at the rather ham-fisted way in which they moved from Batwoman's appearance in the Elseworlds cross-over to the pilot of the main series, I'm not optimistic.

I've just seen the first two episodes of Batwoman season 2 and let me say the actress playing the new Batwoman is an excellent choice. I've never seen her in anything before but I think she's a damn fine actress. It's just a pity she has to work with scripts that can only be described as drivel.

Let's step back a moment to season 1 to explain my biggest gripe. Kate Kane came from an army background and so her expertise in unarmed combat came as no surprise. This new Batwoman is a wrongly convicted ex-con who can suddenly sweep kick, jab etc. with the best of them. It's utterly ridiculous! It's as if she's had exactly the same training as Kate.

I know this is a fantasy show but it's a fantasy based on a close approximation of our own real world. In our world, people don't suddenly become combat experts just by donning a suit and a cape. There's something called (and I'll spell it out for the scriptwriters) T. R. A. I.N.I.N.G.

I would have found this more believable if the new Batwoman had suffered a couple of heavy defeats (escaping, of course, in the nick of time before her life is snuffed out). I'd expect the next couple of episodes to be about accepting the harsh reality that wearing a suit is not enough. But no. These scriptwriters treat the viewers like morons. They can be lazy safe in the knowledge that the fanboys and fangirls will just accept it because...hey...it's Batwoman don'tya know?

Wrong.

I know five year olds that could write better scripts than this. There are writers on this very forum with far superior skills to the ones on this show so the question has to be asked - how on earth did they get the gig? Did they get drafted in from the current crop of Dr Who scriptwriters by any chance?

Anyway. That's it for me. A fine actress cannot polish a turd on her own. She needs lots of help but I fear she's not going to get it. No more Batwoman for me.

I've just seen the first two episodes of Batwoman season 2 and let me say the actress playing the new Batwoman is an excellent choice. I've never seen her in anything before but I think she's a damn fine actress. It's just a pity she has to work with scripts that can only be described as drivel.

Let's step back a moment to season 1 to explain my biggest gripe. Kate Kane came from an army background and so her expertise in unarmed combat came as no surprise. This new Batwoman is a wrongly convicted ex-con who can suddenly sweep kick, jab etc. with the best of them. It's utterly ridiculous! It's as if she's had exactly the same training as Kate.

I know this is a fantasy show but it's a fantasy based on a close approximation of our own real world. In our world, people don't suddenly become combat experts just by donning a suit and a cape. There's something called (and I'll spell it out for the scriptwriters) T. R. A. I.N.I.N.G.

I would have found this more believable if the new Batwoman had suffered a couple of heavy defeats (escaping, of course, in the nick of time before her life is snuffed out). I'd expect the next couple of episodes to be about accepting the harsh reality that wearing a suit is not enough. But no. These scriptwriters treat the viewers like morons. They can be lazy safe in the knowledge that the fanboys and fangirls will just accept it because...hey...it's Batwoman don'tya know?

Wrong.

I know five year olds that could write better scripts than this. There are writers on this very forum with far superior skills to the ones on this show so the question has to be asked - how on earth did they get the gig? Did they get drafted in from the current crop of Dr Who scriptwriters by any chance?

Anyway. That's it for me. A fine actress cannot polish a turd on her own. She needs lots of help but I fear she's not going to get it. No more Batwoman for me.
I agree. There was a single sentence with her Parole Officer about getting a job at a Dojo or something because of her martial arts skill... Oh that answers all the questions, no need to explain any more.
I'm not always a fan of mini-arch in series [because they always seem to get in the way of the main story], but this was crying our for such a thing, Letting the new Bat Woman learn her role... and its costs.

would have found this more believable if the new Batwoman had suffered a couple of heavy defeats (escaping, of course, in the nick of time before her life is snuffed out). I'd expect the next couple of episodes to be about accepting the harsh reality that wearing a suit is not enough. But no. These scriptwriters treat the viewers like morons. They can be lazy safe in the knowledge that the fanboys and fangirls will just accept it because...hey...it's Batwoman don'tya know?
And it isn't as if they've just put another person in the suit and not really changed the scripts. Did no-one think, "We've got to put all this stuff about Kate Kane disappearing and how the new suit wearer came into the picture, so why not do it properly?" It isn't as if what Batwoman is doing at the moment (give or take responding to Alice's madness**), requires her to be fully up to speed with the fighting (and the "stunt-driver" driving) from the get go, other than to convince Luke and Mary that someone has to wear the suit and Ryan should be that person.

They could, instead, have had Ryan seeing the suit as her way of finding and dealing with Alice and simply refusing to give it up. (As we saw, she can cut the link with the control centre, so there wasn't that much they could do about this, and it would have added an extra -- and more fleshed-out -- ongoing tension beyond her deciding to kill Alice why she had the chance.) After all, Batwoman is meant to be an investigator of crime as much as someone who just happens to appear where hi-tech assisted fighting is required, so we could also have seen Ryan gradually learning how to do that in making real her fantasy of revenge against Alice, one that she'd been using to keep herself together while in prison. (This would also make her into a darker character, which would have made things more interesting as the show progressed.)

** - Given that lot of Alice's day-to-day actions are sort of random (though loosely fitting within her agenda), they don't have to involve the threat to potentially thousands of people every time.

I know five year olds that could write better scripts than this.
Doesn't this apply to all the DC live-action though? I tried to like most of them but they were utterly terrible.

I even gave that Stargirl one a shot but besides it being consistently terrible throughout the first episode, what really annoyed me was that the telekinetic villain uses a key to open his secret room... if you're telekinetic you would make a room impossible to open without that power, instead of keeping the key for it in a desk 6 feet away....

Doesn't this apply to all the DC live-action though? I tried to like most of them but they were utterly terrible.
Yes, pretty much. I initially enjoyed the Flash untilI I realised we were getting speedster after speedster as a villain. I gave up bored to tears in the end. There’s only so much hero/villain outrunning each other a person can take.

I even gave that Stargirl one a shot but besides it being consistently terrible throughout the first episode, what really annoyed me was that the telekinetic villain uses a key to open his secret room... if you're telekinetic you would make a room impossible to open without that power, instead of keeping the key for it in a desk 6 feet away....

I watched about 3 or 4 episodes of that wretched tv show and gave up on it.
Yes, pretty much. I initially enjoyed the Flash untilI I realised we were getting speedster after speedster as a villain. I gave up bored to tears in the end. There’s only so much hero/villain outrunning each other a person can take.

The Flash ran out of good story ideas after about the the 3rd season

Last edited:

Wrong.

The writing on this show is pretty wretched, Im surprised it got a second season.

Surely you jest, good sir?

Jingle bells, Batman smells,
Robin laid an egg,
Batmobile lost a wheel,
And reboots all the way.

No, I don't jest. :confused:

But I do think the Superhero Genre is on the wain.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marky Lazer Graphic Novels & Comics 8