Batwoman

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I’ve watched the first three episodes and I’m pretty underwhelmed. I honestly can see no good reason why this is on TV. We have the standard hero motivated by a childhood trauma who turns vigilante whilst juggling complicated personal issues. The villains so far are a pretty poor bunch. I’ve seen more threatening and competent characters on shows like The World’s Craziest Fools.

How many more times can a writer come up with a family tragedy being the driving force behind the creation of a superhero (or even just a hero) and still maintain some semblence of originality or credibility. The whole thing has been done so many times now that it really exposes the shortcomings of the whole superhero genre. If it were a roast in the oven, it would be cooked to charcoal by now.

By my reckoning, and given the number of family tragedies in warzones across the world, planet Earth must be due a glut of masked crimefighters so I see no reason to spend any more time giving this show a chance.

I watched the first ep. Enjoyed it, but not enough to bother with any more of it.

The show takes it self too seriously to the point that it's not even fun to watch.

Last edited:
I mean, yeah, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the DC universe especially that hasn't suffered some kind of trauma. I guess it's that whole arc of a hero, rising up and facing hardship etc.

Batwoman is my favourite comic character. I haven't watched the TV series because I don't watch much new stuff these days, and I knew they'd change a lot about her for the new DC TV universe. I like Ruby Rose as her though, she's got the right look and attitude. I've looked at the synopsis and her back story and to be honest, it's even more traumatic in the comics.

However, her real purpose for taking up the bat mantle is different. She comes from a military background and served in the army first, but was there when 'Don't ask, don't tell' was a thing. She refused to lie about who she is and so was discharged. She had a few lost years, still wanting to serve, and eventually had a run in with Batman (she'd already essentially saved herself when he turned up). She saw the Bat symbol as a uniform and took it up as her way to serve and protect.

Unfortunately they then went and retconned everything and made her into Bruce's cousin, a move I've never agreed with.

Anyway, that's her origins in the comics. She still does have the childhood trauma, and all her stuff with her twin coming back as a villain, but her real motivation is her military background and finding a cause to serve. It's something I wish they hadn't moved away from, because it does make her different, and gave her far more agency and choice, rather than this whole 'she's family, it was basically her fate!'

Last edited:
I thought the second ep was better than the first. Was it a 2 hour intro in the US?
And ep 3 sort of began to bring things together. I still thing it has got along way to go before it gets good.
But I can't see how a TV show can maintain a superhero story line for too long. Most of them become boring fairly quickly.

The big two retcon and recycle everything and have for so long it's not worth paying attention to. It's impossible to let a character die when there's still money on the table and we'll be seeing the same heroes and same arcs for decades to come.

She comes from a military background and served in the army first, but was there when 'Don't ask, don't tell' was a thing. She refused to lie about who she is and so was discharged.
This is still in the show. Never having read the comics about Batwoman (I think it was the end of the 60s when I last bought (or had bought for me) a DC or Marvel comic), I've no idea if the associated personal issue -- her lover denying their relationship, staying in the services and working in the Kane family business (private security) -- was in them.

But I can't see how a TV show can maintain a superhero story line for too long. Most of them become boring fairly quickly.
I gave up on The Flash for this very reason. I remember thinking around season four: not another speedster villain.

I thought the second ep was better than the first. Was it a 2 hour intro in the US?
And ep 3 sort of began to bring things together. I still thing it has got along way to go before it gets good.

I would like to see the CW revive Constantine. It would be a very good replacement for Supernatural which is finishing it's run.

I've watched them all so far and though there were plenty of cringe moments throughout--they have, in the latest episodes, done some things well.

Well, it's been renewed for season 2. Although Ruby Rose has quit the show.

Thats going to be potential problem for the show.

The producers have already indicated that they intend to re-cast the role. So the character of Kate Kane will remain, but she'll be played by someone else. It's probably an easier solution than introducing a new lead character.

Having suffered through this show I am astounded that it was renewed. Constantine gone, this rubbish renewed??? What a world.

Having suffered through this show I am astounded that it was renewed. Constantine gone, this rubbish renewed??? What a world.
Agreed. This was the producers’ chance to not only cut and run after only one season but to save face and say something like they couldn’t continue without her rather than having to admit the show utterly sucks.

Constantine was the last good one, although I am happy they pulled the actor in to do the animated Justice League Dark films. DC has always been better at the animation than live action.

Recently watched an episode of Harley Quinn (the one where Harley puts her gang together - Clayface and the psycho midget...can't remember his name). I thought it was well made, very funny and much better than Batwoman.

Constantine was the last good one, although I am happy they pulled the actor in to do the animated Justice League Dark films. DC has always been better at the animation than live action.

Id like to see the CW give a live action Constantine series a second chance . I think thwart has the live live action series been on the CW, it would still be on the air.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marky Lazer Graphic Novels & Comics 8