Prolific Authors: Who Are the Ones Worth Reading “Everything”?

hawthorne.jpg

Bick, I don't know -- I might have thought of Hawthorne but decided he didn't qualify, in my opinion, as a prolific author. ...How did the publishers get to 12 volumes?
Yes, good point, and by that argument he wasn't 'prolific' I'd agree. A nice set though! If you could excise the novels and major short story collections from that set (perhaps 7 books?), I'd like to have them on my shelf. I'm not a big reader of letters in all honesty.

Yes, good point, and by that argument he wasn't 'prolific' I'd agree. A nice set though! If you could excise the novels and major short story collections from that set (perhaps 7 books?), I'd like to have them on my shelf. I'm not a big reader of letters in all honesty.

Im not sure the authors I listed meet the topic criteria of this topic.:unsure::(

“Egotism; or, The Bosom Serpent,” doesn’t work up to a pulp-style shock ending, since right from the title on we know that Roderick might have a ghastly snake inhabiting him. A fair bit of the story is not so much morality or narrative but, I suppose, a study of a variety of depression.

There are some suggestions of rather gross conditions, as when the narrator looks at himself in the mirror with his mouth open wide in hope of glimpsing the snake’s head down there. Ugh!

The association of the serpent with a fountain was interesting, fountains often suggesting purity and life, but I thought of Melusine, associated with water and, if I’m not imagining it, with a we’ll of some sort in some version(s) of the legend.

Yes, you’re right. Maybe I can partially fix that tomorrow, if a moderator doesn’t.

HG Wells should be on the list. A prolific writer of novels and short fiction, more literary fiction than science fiction, and plenty of non-fiction as well.

I've read many of his books and have not even got half way through his bibliography. I don't think I'll read them all, but I expect I'll read many.

Does Graham Greene count? Or is he slightly too modern?

How much Twain have you read @Extollager?
I've just ordered the complete Library of America books of Twains' works, and plan on reading him a good deal over the next few years.

View attachment 77000
Bick, in answer to your question, I've read Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, and Roughing It, and some of Life on the Mississippi, which ended up being put side for other things -- right now, All Creatures Great and Small as reading for just before lights out. The books I think it most likely that I will read aside from these are The Innocents Abroad and Pudd'nhead Wilson.

HG Wells should be on the list. A prolific writer of novels and short fiction, more literary fiction than science fiction, and plenty of non-fiction as well.

I've read many of his books and have not even got half way through his bibliography. I don't think I'll read them all, but I expect I'll read many.

Does Graham Greene count? Or is he slightly too modern?

I have and old of HG Wells book . The Shape of Things To Come . It's called a novel but , not really. Im at loss as how they came up with the 1936 Alexander Korda film from this. :unsure:

I have and old of HG Wells book . The Shape of Things To Come . It's called a novel but , not really. Im at loss as how they came up with the 1936 Alexander Korda film from this. :unsure:

I'm yet to read that one still, but I know enough about it to know that making a film out of it sounds problematic.

I have a number of old editions of Wells. All packed in boxes at the moment though!

I just found out that H G Wells was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature FOUR Times.

Have I been living under a rock? How is it I never saw this mentioned with all of the stuff I have encountered about Wells?

I can give a contradictory answer to this.

I have read everything in Lois Bujold's Vorkosigan series.

I have tried 3 books in the 5 Gods series. I finished 2. I am really not into fantasy.

If she would just stick to science fiction she would be a great writer. ROFL Ducks & Runs
Artillery strike expected! LOL

Back