Disco Elysium

olive

( ~ ᴗ ° )
I've just discovered this game last night when a friend texted me something like, 'look into this, now!'. It's really groundbreaking as far as rpgs go I guess. I haven't made much progress but then the game is really not something about we have seen before as in traditional kind of game progress. It's an RPG in a fantasy world but it is all about detailed dialogues, personality, human influence, intelligence...not action -I'm guessing very little- and it is like you are actually role playing yourself? I don't know if that makes sense.

The initial dialogue was enough to get my attention. The general, basic vocabulary alone...it's an amazing game.

You're a detective with amnesia and trying to solve a murder in a nutshell. In the first minutes, I caught A SO 2001 <> Contact reference....and a lot of abstract connections to things I know consciously or unconsciously as it went on. ? I don't know how to express this.

Guys, the skill tree alone, the skill checks...Oh my! :lol:

Has anyone played this game? Any thoughts?

I put in several hours into the game and really enjoyed it. I'm still way off from beating it, but I certainly intend of beating it one day.

It's not an action RPG. Just to give an idea about how different it is...

Your Abilities

Disco-Elysium-skills-stats-and-attributes-1212x682.jpg

Your Skill Set

disco-elysium-skills.jpg

Your Thought Cabinet (You're internalise or forget certain thoughts in here.)

Disco_Elysium_guide___thought_cabinet.png

It's not an action RPG. Just to give an idea about how different it is...

Your Abilities

Disco-Elysium-skills-stats-and-attributes-1212x682.jpg

Your Skill Set

disco-elysium-skills.jpg

Your Thought Cabinet (You're internalise or forget certain thoughts in here.)

Disco_Elysium_guide___thought_cabinet.png
Seens some 'lets plays' of it. Looks fascinating and the artwork is gorgeous.

Loved some of the mechanics in it too - interrogating or having conversations with inanimate objects for example :)

Makes such a refreshing change from having a RPG latched onto a shooter! Having said that I am doing Outer Worlds Supernova level diffculty. So a lot of shooting, yes, but a bit more conversation orientated...

In my opinion, this game will be defined as a kilometer stone looking back. Still, apparently, they avoided a lot of controversial words and names of concepts, ideologies...but it is a start. We need more mind-bending games, brain simulating like this. As I said, the vocabulary alone is very good for youngsters but lack of action might push them. On the other hand, a 1960s-70s kind of detective story would attract older generations.

Not exactly sure, but somebody said that it contains nearly a million words? How many thousands of pages is that?

Back