What Hubble saw on your Birthday

Boneman

This is a lot of fun.

Here's mine and @ctg

1587120931237.png

Beautiful and very cool!

Lol, I'm not really sure what my birthday is, but long ago randomly picked a date to fill in blanks.
Seems I picked poorly for image size/quality, though it's still a neat subject :LOL:

Cartwheel Galaxy:
october-17-2019-cartwheel-galaxy.jpg

K2

Last edited:
Oh wow, I just checked out the ones for my spouse, Mother-and-Father Inlaws... I'm tempted to post them they're so amazing, but I don't want to spoil the surprise for other folks who might have the same birthdays.

K2

Galaxy NGC 2841 lies 46 million light-years away in the constellation of Ursa Major (The Great Bear).

What a coincidence.
Just to add that Galaxy NGC 2841 is a "notable" galaxy, in its case because it's a prototype for a class of galaxies, the Flocculent Spiral galaxy.

"Flocculent" means "fluffy" or "woolly". :)

I dunno.... looks like a portal to another world.

More than that regarding @nixie 's image, it's like some giant prism/lens, but is very different than most coronas making me wonder seriously about why the light at the center is the densest/shortest wavelength and lengthens out the farther from center you go, considering the dying star at it's center (the reason for it maybe?).

K2

More than that regarding @nixie 's image, it's like some giant prism/lens, but is very different than most coronas making me wonder seriously about why the light at the center is the densest/shortest wavelength and lengthens out the farther from center you go, considering the dying star at it's center (the reason for it maybe?).

K2
Could the light colours be caused by chemical composition like in a nebula rather than a wavelength shift?

Could the light colours be caused by chemical composition like in a nebula rather than a wavelength shift?

I have no idea...But, I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of googling might find the answer by people in the know.

Edit: what's on NASA's site. It seems they have more detailed pages for each image:

And here is your answer:

K2

Last edited:
Heeere is mine. Ultra Deep Field! 13 billion years? Is the universe telling me how much my brain has been unfocused and scattered all over the place all my life via Hubble? Well played. :notworthy:

august-26-2019-hubble-ultra-deep-field.jpg
Olive, to me this is the most astounding of all the Hubble images. The very idea that there are so many galaxies seen in just a small area of our night sky makes the idea of infinite more real to me.

Heeere is mine. Ultra Deep Field! 13 billion years? Is the universe telling me how much my brain has been unfocused and scattered all over the place all my life via Hubble? Well played. :notworthy:

august-26-2019-hubble-ultra-deep-field.jpg
Olive, to me this is the most astounding of all the Hubble images. The very idea that there are so many galaxies seen in just a small area of our night sky makes the idea of infinite more real to me.

From this News Item Hubble telescope's Universe revealed in 3D : An in depth look and movie on the Ultra Deep Field.

K2