Question about the end of Ringworld (spoilers)

webgrunt

When Louis and Speaker dropped the building into the hole, it would have been trying to fall at 1 G which would mean the Needle would have been going pretty fast by the time it reached them. How did they get into a ship that was moving (being dragged by the cable) at probably hundreds of miles an hour?

They didn't. Louis and Speaker were in pressure suits in the building. They were waiting for the Lying ******* to fall through the hole behind them and once in open space the Lying ******* would reel in the wire so Louis and Speaker could enter through the airlock.

They didn't. Louis and Speaker were in pressure suits in the building. They were waiting for the Lying ******* to fall through the hole behind them and once in open space the Lying ******* would reel in the wire so Louis and Speaker could enter through the airlock.
Thanks!! I was past due for sleep when I read it and missed that.

I'm amazed when folk can remember details this well. I've read Ringworld 2 or 3 times, and I don't even recall this sequence! :)
Perhaps I should read it again. It is great.

I'm amazed when folk can remember details this well. I've read Ringworld 2 or 3 times, and I don't even recall this sequence! :)
Perhaps I should read it again. It is great.
To be fair, Bick, I looked the ending up again to be sure my own memory of the ending was correct. The OP's question didn't fit with the way I recalled it. I was tempted to read Ringworld yet again. :)