Question For The Hive Mind

Doctor John Dee, surely. He's a wizard to start with, and he's already Elizabethan! Alternatively, Ursula Graham-Bower, who was an anthropologist and hard as nails, or Quentin Crisp because he'd be entertaining (and once played Elizabeth in a film). Or for real Blackadder-style complexity, Dickens.
OO7 Dee, is already there, he's the one who confirms the amulet is the Holy Grail (for his own, nefarious reasons...)

OO7 Dee, is already there, he's the one who confirms the amulet is the Holy Grail (for his own, nefarious reasons...) Here he is, in the Queen's bedchamber with lord Dudley. Elizabeth touched the amulet and in a deep sleep had terrible dreams. She's just waking up....

“My Queen, can you hear me?” Dudley sat on the side of the bed dabbing Elizabeth’s brow with a wet cloth. Slowly she stirred, breathing deeply and mouthing unrecognizable words. Opening her eyes, she recognized Dudley and smiled. He lent forward and kissed her forehead.

“What happened?” She asked.

“You slept for two days, the physicians said you were full of bad humours, but we knew better!” He turned excitedly to look at a man of moderate size, with a white, pointy beard, dressed in a long black cloak, cap and ruff. The man bowed his head.

A maniacal expression flashed across Dudley’s face, and he turned back to face her. “But we know better, don’t we!” Elizabeth looked confused. “I, I don’t understand?”

“We held the Grail and lived!” He shouted, pointing at a wooden box on the table. “ Those two angels brought you the Holy Grail!”

“By my trowth!” gasped the Queen, trying to sit up. “Is this right Dee?”

“Yes my Queen.” Elizabeth looked at Dee, standing like a vulture, at the foot her bed, surrounded by the Queen’s advisors.

I think in terms of a bad-ass to help, you really, really want to avoid anyone
a) Female
b) Female and gorgeous
Elizabeth was Gloriana, the centre of the court, the flower round which the (preferably gorgeous) men circled.

That's clever, but might get accused of witchcraft and burnt at the stake though?
I might be completely wrong, but I figured they'd almost always accuse only women of witchcraft... (I'd imagine there was the odd man but can't see them being like "he stole something and we don't know how... WITCH!"

I might be completely wrong, but I figured they'd almost always accuse only women of witchcraft... (I'd imagine there was the odd man but can't see them being like "he stole something and we don't know how... WITCH!"
Yes, the vast majority, but there were a few in the Elizabethan era. Being male didn't exclude you. Good point though, I'd have to make it pretty obvious that Houdini did 'something' pretty extraordinary, or his 'accuser' was up to something nefarious! And, incidentally, in England sorcerer/witches were hung, not burnt at the stake - that was European.

Hi,

Why would he need to be called a "witch"? They hanged thieves didn't they? And probably anyone who was found creeping into or out of the queen's private chambers? Of course escaping the noose might well be the inspiration for his greatest trick in later life!

Cheers, Greg.

Hi,

Why would he need to be called a "witch"? They hanged thieves didn't they? And probably anyone who was found creeping into or out of the queen's private chambers? Of course escaping the noose might well be the inspiration for his greatest trick in later life!

Cheers, Greg.
Very true. He would just need to be called a Catholic and that would be another ending.