Awakening volcanic region in Iceland 'could cause disruption for centuries'

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter

Volcanic activity is escalating in a region of Iceland that has not erupted for 800 years, with scientists warning it could cause disruption for centuries to come.

Since 21 January, the Reykjanes peninsula south-west of Iceland’s capital, Reykjavik, has experienced more than 8,000 earthquakes and about 10cm of land uplift due to magma intrusions underground.

The last period of activity in Reykjanes coincided with the Medieval Warm Period - could the awakening activity in this region be somehow related to global temperatures?

So Iceland is trying to outrun the rising sea levels, ehh? Might have the right idea.
As far as I know nobody has linked volcanism with climate except through the effects of volcanoes spewing mega-tons of dust into the air! Should we be looking at how climate change affects volcanism?

As far as I know nobody has linked volcanism with climate except through the effects of volcanoes spewing mega-tons of dust into the air! Should we be looking at how climate change affects volcanism?

It's a two way street.

More ice, less water in the oceans = less presure in the trenches = tectonic sea bed growth = more volacanoes = more dust = more cooling.

Throw in the extra gases such as cabon dioxide (from forest burning, eruptions, and sub ocean methane escape).

Going the other way, more ice melt = higher sea levels = less land = less vegitation = less cabon dioxide = warmer temperatures = more ice melt

Mix it all together and call it, oh I don't know "Earth" maybe.