Hugo 2020 Finalists Announced

Bick

Luddite Curmudgeon
Supporter
The finalists for the 2020 Hugo's were announced earlier today:

The main categories I'm interested in are below (note nominations for Fanzine's include Chron's members... congrats)

Best Novel
  • The City in the Middle of the Night, by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor; Titan)
  • Gideon the Ninth, by Tamsyn Muir (Tor.com Publishing)
  • The Light Brigade, by Kameron Hurley (Saga; Angry Robot UK)
  • A Memory Called Empire, by Arkady Martine (Tor; Tor UK)
  • Middlegame, by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January, by Alix E. Harrow (Redhook; Orbit UK)
Best Novella
  • “Anxiety Is the Dizziness of Freedom”, by Ted Chiang (Exhalation (Borzoi/Alfred A. Knopf; Picador)
  • The Deep, by Rivers Solomon, with Daveed Diggs, William Hutson & Jonathan Snipes (Saga Press/Gallery)
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015, by P. Djèlí Clark (Tor.com Publishing)
  • In an Absent Dream, by Seanan McGuire (Tor.com Publishing)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War, by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone (Saga Press; Jo Fletcher Books)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate, by Becky Chambers (Harper Voyager; Hodder & Stoughton)
Best Novelette
  • “The Archronology of Love”, by Caroline M. Yoachim (Lightspeed, April 2019)
  • “Away With the Wolves”, by Sarah Gailey (Uncanny Magazine: Disabled People Destroy Fantasy Special Issue, September/October 2019)
  • “The Blur in the Corner of Your Eye”, by Sarah Pinsker (Uncanny Magazine, July-August 2019)
  • Emergency Skin, by N.K. Jemisin (Forward Collection (Amazon))
  • “For He Can Creep”, by Siobhan Carroll (Tor.com, 10 July 2019)
  • “Omphalos”, by Ted Chiang (Exhalation (Borzoi/Alfred A. Knopf; Picador))
Best Short Story
  • “And Now His Lordship Is Laughing”, by Shiv Ramdas (Strange Horizons, 9 September 2019)
  • “As the Last I May Know”, by S.L. Huang (Tor.com, 23 October 2019)
  • “Blood Is Another Word for Hunger”, by Rivers Solomon (Tor.com, 24 July 2019)
  • “A Catalog of Storms”, by Fran Wilde (Uncanny Magazine, January/February 2019)
  • “Do Not Look Back, My Lion”, by Alix E. Harrow (Beneath Ceaseless Skies, January 2019)
  • “Ten Excerpts from an Annotated Bibliography on the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island”, by Nibedita Sen (Nightmare Magazine, May 2019)
Best Series
  • The Expanse, by James S. A. Corey (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
  • InCryptid, by Seanan McGuire (DAW)
  • Luna, by Ian McDonald (Tor; Gollancz)
  • Planetfall series, by Emma Newman (Ace; Gollancz)
  • Winternight Trilogy, by Katherine Arden (Del Rey; Del Rey UK)
  • The Wormwood Trilogy, by Tade Thompson (Orbit US; Orbit UK)
Best Graphic Story or Comic
  • Die, Volume 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker, by Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans, letters by Clayton Cowles (Image)
  • LaGuardia, written by Nnedi Okorafor, art by Tana Ford, colours by James Devlin (Berger Books; Dark Horse)
  • Monstress, Volume 4: The Chosen, written by Marjorie Liu, art by Sana Takeda (Image)
  • Mooncakes, by Wendy Xu and Suzanne Walker, letters by Joamette Gil (Oni Press; Lion Forge)
  • Paper Girls, Volume 6, written by Brian K. Vaughan, drawn by Cliff Chiang, colours by Matt Wilson, letters by Jared K. Fletcher (Image)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Volume 9: Okay, by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie, colours by Matt Wilson, letters by Clayton Cowles (Image)
Best Fanzine
  • The Book Smugglers, editors Ana Grilo and Thea James
  • Galactic Journey, founder Gideon Marcus, editor Janice Marcus, senior writers Rosemary Benton, Lorelei Marcus and Victoria Silverwolf
  • Journey Planet, editors James Bacon, Christopher J Garcia, Alissa McKersie, Ann Gry, Chuck Serface, John Coxon and Steven H Silver
  • nerds of a feather, flock together, editors Adri Joy, Joe Sherry, Vance Kotrla, and The G
  • Quick Sip Reviews, editor Charles Payseur
  • The Rec Center, editors Elizabeth Minkel and Gavia Baker-Whitelaw

And, our own @Werthead is up for Best Fan Writer:

Best Fan Writer
  • Cora Buhlert
  • James Davis Nicoll
  • Alasdair Stuart
  • Bogi Takács
  • Paul Weimer
  • Adam Whitehead

I notice that Tor publishing has multiple appearances on the list. Anyone here dealt with them?

Not directly but I know a number of their authors. What do you want to know?
They claim to be a small team but, from these results seem to punch above their weight. Which suggests a healthy level of enthusiasm and judgement.
Just considering a direct submission of a novella since big houses tend not to like them.
The alternative approach I was going with was to bundle the three novella series as a 'three part' novel.

Tor are a big SF/F publisher in the USA, with a big social media presence.
Thanks Brian
That's actually good news. I had been looking at the (very) old Tor UK page and got the wrong impression from:

"This is because there are only three of us and, despite the popular idea that all editors do is drink coffee and read all day, the fact is the vast majority of submission reading is done in our spare time."

They claim to be a small team but, from these results seem to punch above their weight. Which suggests a healthy level of enthusiasm and judgement.
Just considering a direct submission of a novella since big houses tend not to like them.
The alternative approach I was going with was to bundle the three novella series as a 'three part' novel.
If you want to get a publisher like Tor you’d be better getting an agent first. And don’t bundle three novellas and call it a novel - any publisher or agent will know exactly what you’ve done :)

If you want to get a publisher like Tor you’d be better getting an agent first. And don’t bundle three novellas and call it a novel - any publisher or agent will know exactly what you’ve done :)
I was thinking, somewhat optimistically, of E.F. Russell's "Men Martians and Machines" :unsure:

Congratulations, @Werthead and @Victoria Silverwolf!

I began reading SF&F in the '70s, in the US, and the Hugos were such a big deal to us devotees. It seems huge to me that two of our members are nominated this time. Victoria, I've read, and thoroughly enjoyed, many of your Tangent reviews, and Werthead, I will check out the Wertzone today. Wow! Best of luck to you both in the voting, CC