(Found) Paperback, near future, read in 1980/81, walking race/competition where the slow are shot.

Boaz

Happy Easter!
Yeah, I'm beginning to think it was a feel-good gift from Boaz.

I might post one up: There was this small guy with furry feet who lived in an underground house ...
I was not an intended gift, but I hope you always feel encouraged.

This was the first book I'd read (other than Tolkien), that was not required at school, that dealt with teen angst and death in the near dystopian future. I thought at the time... "This would be better required reading than A Separate Peace or anything by Dickens or the Brontes."

BudK

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it was a feel-good gift from Boaz.

I might post one up: There was this small guy with furry feet who lived in an underground house ...
The hobbit...;) Read the bachman books and liked them, then found out they were King....OOPS!

Danny McG

a good cosslain follows its kessentai
Yikes! I haven't read this AND I HAVE NO DESIRE TO! What a horrible story.
@Parson
True, I freaked out when there was a casual remark made in it about two Native American brothers who'd entered together.

I found it very disturbing to think of marching beside your brother and knowing that the only option for your survival was to basically walk him until exhaustion made him collapse, then keep marching as the guards shot him, you can't even slow to look back or you're shot as well.

*Shudders*

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
@Parson
True, I freaked out when there was a casual remark made in it about two Native American brothers who'd entered together.

I found it very disturbing to think of marching beside your brother and knowing that the only option for your survival was to basically walk him until exhaustion made him collapse, then keep marching as the guards shot him, you can't even slow to look back or you're shot as well.

*Shudders*
Double shudders from me.

We need a shudder emoji.

Ravensquawk

Suck air, grab clusters
Argh, I could have got this! From now on I'm staying up all night obsessively clicking "new posts".

FWIW, this was one of the most disturbing stories I ever read.
No kidding.
It was disturbing just to read the summary.
I may have to go for a walk to get it off my mind.