(Found) Paperback, near future, read in 1980/81, walking race/competition where the slow are shot.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it was a feel-good gift from Boaz.

I might post one up: There was this small guy with furry feet who lived in an underground house ...
I was not an intended gift, but I hope you always feel encouraged.

This was the first book I'd read (other than Tolkien), that was not required at school, that dealt with teen angst and death in the near dystopian future. I thought at the time... "This would be better required reading than A Separate Peace or anything by Dickens or the Brontes."

Yeah, I'm beginning to think it was a feel-good gift from Boaz.

I might post one up: There was this small guy with furry feet who lived in an underground house ...
The hobbit...;) Read the bachman books and liked them, then found out they were King....OOPS!

Yikes! I haven't read this AND I HAVE NO DESIRE TO! What a horrible story.
@Parson
True, I freaked out when there was a casual remark made in it about two Native American brothers who'd entered together.

I found it very disturbing to think of marching beside your brother and knowing that the only option for your survival was to basically walk him until exhaustion made him collapse, then keep marching as the guards shot him, you can't even slow to look back or you're shot as well.

*Shudders*

@Parson
True, I freaked out when there was a casual remark made in it about two Native American brothers who'd entered together.

I found it very disturbing to think of marching beside your brother and knowing that the only option for your survival was to basically walk him until exhaustion made him collapse, then keep marching as the guards shot him, you can't even slow to look back or you're shot as well.

*Shudders*
Double shudders from me.

We need a shudder emoji.

Back