I Need Light Reading Recommendations

nixie

pixie druid
Staff member
I read a lot of grimdark fantasy, horror and recently zombie apocalypse books.
In the current climate I need some lighthearted fun, can anyone recommend something heart lifting and fun? Can still contain violence but has to be optimistic. I hate chic lit.

Guessing you want more fantasy, but lighter? If it doesn't have to be recent, maybe Pratt and/or de Camp's stuff, such as the Incomplete Enchanter.

I read a lot of grimdark fantasy, horror and recently zombie apocalypse books.
In the current climate I need some lighthearted fun, can anyone recommend something heart lifting and fun? Can still contain violence but has to be optimistic. I hate chic lit.

The Mouse that Roared by Leonard Wibberley :cool:

Optimistic but literary:
Penelope Fitzgerald, Gate of Angels
J.L. Carr, What Hetty Did
Mary Wesley, Part of the Furniture (this one's probably the lightest)
Muriel Spark, Loitering with Intent and A Far Cry from Kensington (her two loveliest, least cynical books)
Rumer Godden, Kingfishers Catch Fire (it had some passages that are so beautifully written you'll cry with joy)
Y.A. romance: Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park
Optimistic SF: Norman Spinrad, Child of Fortune

How about Hairy London, by that chap Stephen Palmer?
"What ho, chaps this is a rollicking good adventure featuring those adventurous types from that notorious place, The Suicide Club. Cracking place that it is, where the members take part in all kinds of ridiculous escapades, you know that might be considered suicidal? They're also partial to a few wagers, which is the case right here, what? A small group of wealth aristos putting their fortunes on the line if they can define just what love is." - Perpetual Man.
"I suppose the acid test questions are: did I feel I wasted my money buying this book? No.
Would I read another Stephen Palmer novel? Indubitably, my dear chap, indubitably." - Foxbat

The Silvered by Tanya Huff - war between a nation with a ruling class of werewolves and mages and some technology and an empire that is heavily technological and trying to suppress magic. Follows two youngsters, one werewolf, one mage, effectively a quest adventure. Amusing stuff in there.
Lois McMaster Bujolds fantasies - all of them.

Another Fine Myth by Robert Lynn Asprin
The Star Crossed by Ben Bova
Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook
The Galactic Gourmet by James White
Mention my name in Atlantis by John Jakes
The Napoleons of Eridanus by Pierre Barbet
The Revenge of the Fluffy Bunnies by Craig Garner Shaw

Space Mac by me. "The dratted thing kept me awake half the night. Had to finish it before I could get to sleep" ~Kerry Buchanan :D

Great time to self advertise.
If you have a smashwords account these are running free.
At the moment.

Bellwether by Connie Willis is one of my staples when light reading is needed.

Also the Myth books, by Robert Asprin, and Piers Anthony's Xanth ones, if you're feeling punny.

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch (little dark, but not much)
Nell Gwynne's Scarlet Spy by Kage Baker (I aim to read more by Baker before the year's over)
Tamsin by Peter Beagle (YA, beautifully written and imagined)
Brittle Innings by Michael Bishop (fantasy and baseball)
The Mall of Cthulhu by Seamus Cooper (Lovecraftian, but not exactly serious about it)
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart
Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. McAvoy
Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore (first book, so some rough edges)

Theodora Goss' trilogy, The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter, European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman, and The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl is also good fun. The 2nd novel slogs a bit in the middle, but the final novel wraps up things nicely.

Randy M.
(also, I second the Pratt and de Camp suggestion)