New Fantasy Anthology (aka the DISTAFF women again...)

So, Mouse, Kerry and I have swapped and read each other's stories, and I'm pleased to say that not only are Mouse and Kerry's stories delightful, but all three of us have gone VERY different ways with the theme, so should add some nice variety to the anthology! Looking forward to reading everyone else's take on it. :)

(And don't worry, you all have time! But if anyone needs eyes on anything, happy to help out.)

Geek-lister's back with the latest progress list...
  1. Juliana Spink Mills - done and had it critiqued
  2. Kerry Buchanan - done and had it critiqued (and maybe still hunting typos!)
  3. The Judge - nope stage
  4. Jo Zebedee - opened blank page stage
  5. Nixie - in search of concentration for writing story
  6. millymollymo - given up on 1st story and now editing another story dug out of the virtual drawer
  7. Abernovo - words are being written
  8. crystal haven - started writing stage
  9. Teresa Egerton - not started yet (deadline to meet elsewhere)
  10. Mouse - done and had it critiqued
  11. Susan Boulton - unknown
For those that are having difficulty settling down to writing - fear not. You might be suffering from the shock and its aftermath of this horrible corona virus business. It's a normal reaction. You are human after all... I think... but if you are you should be coming out of about now-ish and the words will flow - trust me on this!

Thanks for the list, @Serendipity. Mine’s done and I’m onto the next project now after great and insightful critique from @Juliana and @Mouse.
I know how hard it can be to get writing at the best of times. I went through a very bad patch a year or two ago where the words just wouldn’t flow no matter what I tried, but it did come to an end, eventually.
During Coronavirus, our heads are all over the place, with so many worries niggling away; it’s no wonder people are struggling. If anyone would like to talk about it, PM me and I’ll send my phone number, or we could Zoom/Skype/whatever.
Above all, don’t let this anthology add to your stress. It’s meant to be light relief, not another cause for anxiety. Don’t let the deadline scare you, because we have to be flexible right now. We’ll all understand if things aren’t going quite as you hoped they might.
This is Chrons. We look after each other, right?

Silly question I know, but I'm not a fantasy writer.... are there any fantasy anthologies where the stories are all new (at the time of publishing) and written only by women?

Bound to be. Also it didn’t turn out to be what sold Distaff, that angle.
Just wanted a comparison for nefarious purposes...

....what sold Distaff was all the hard work that went into it, the good stories (which got good reviews) and word of mouth!

Eh - this has been a really weird day in a really weird week for me... I'll try to get back to normal sometime in another universe, promise!

Silly question I know, but I'm not a fantasy writer.... are there any fantasy anthologies where the stories are all new (at the time of publishing) and written only by women?
Dangerous Women - with the likes of GRR Martin - but a female focused fantasy antho.
Maiden, Mother, and Crone: Fantastical Trans Femmes. Female identifying authors only.
Stairwell books (York...indie) has a 2020 Femme Vision planned - not all Fantasy by the looks.

I'm almost certain World Weaver did something along the lines with Rhonda Parrish as editor.

Fire it over to me!
I realise now why I rejected FF for this story... while fantasy, there's no Fae. Serves me right for flouncing. ;0

Hi, to be honest things here have been a bit up and down. So nothing done. Might not get anything done. I want to, but the fates seem to be against me. What date do you need an answer by. Though I do have two previously written stories, never even submitted, one might be more of a ghost story than fantasy, the other is total fantasy.

Last edited:
No, fae aren't essential -- though the more fae the merrier! -- so don't worry, millymollymo.

We're aiming for 30 June, Sue, but we're not going to turn anyone away if they can't get something finished exactly on time. Though if a story's not even begun by then -- which at the current rate of progress mine won't be -- it probably won't be able to catch up with the next stages. See how things are going in 2 or 3 weeks' time. Meanwhile, I hope there are more ups than downs over the next month.